Riverside at Forrest

@38320

9 hours ago, tradertwo said:

I've never given much thought about exactly when possession changes on a punt, but it stands to reason that it's not until the receiving team's player possesses (or touches) the ball... otherwise wouldn't the kicking team be able to field the ball, either in the air, or on the ground as in a kickoff? Kicking team can field a punted ball, but if they touch it before the receiving team, the ball is dead on that spot, and goes over to the receiving team.

Good point

• Like 1

Forrest, the Refs, and the TSSAA

The refs shouldnt be the story. When the refs are the story, it hurts everyone. Even the winners. See, Riverside knows they got a gift. and it takes away from the great things they did that night. They came to play. They ran the ball well. #7 and #12 had great games. With every play, even the kickoffs, they were trying to get every edge they could. 

Refs at all levels of every sport are bad. We have new technology which acknowledges that refs make bad calls in every sport. We have instant replay in baseball, basketball, and football. So we have acknowledged, officially, that human error is no longer accepted, if we can fix it. 

The punt penalty call was questionable. Riverside people say "GOOD CALL!!"  Forrest people say "Why on Earth would you call that, especially there?"

@Salem did a great job of describing the situation. To me, and hopefully to most of us, there should be context with these calls. You shouldn't call offensive holding or illegal blocks that occur 30 yards behind the runner. The letter of the law is almost never what sports fans want. They want context. "They arent gonna call that in the 4th quarter of the Super Bowl.."  or "They aren't gonna call that in the NBA Finals". We hear stuff like that every year. Why? Because the refs shouldnt be the story. 

Forrest is what they are, and we do what we do. We hit. We might not always be the fastest. We don't have the demographics of a Tyner or Fairley. And go ahead and stop reading now if you are gona get on some high horse about that comment. We all know what I am talking about. Chapel Hill is a mono-racial town. That will change as Chapel Hill grows, and it should. But Forrest doesn't have even top 8 team speed in 2A. What we have is, we run a system, and we hit. And we have heart, and we hate to lose. 

The punt play penalty was a hard hit. But It wasn't a penalty. 

But even if you say it was, the ball should have stayed with Forrest. Forrest had their offense on the field. There was no flag so they were preparing to run a play. The alignment Forrest was in when Riverside's #12 ran for the "winning" TD was a joke. It was a keystone cops "what the heck is happening" totally confusing scenario. It's a travesty that it happened. And it hurts us all. Because there is no accountability. TSSAA is a money grubbing joke, and we all know it. Even if something could be appealed, it wont be overturned. That should bother ever fan of the sport. Why? Because it can happen to you too. And you will be helpless as it happens, and helpless to do anything about it. 

Our kids overcame the world this year. Nothing can take that away. 

Riverside is a good team. Without these egregious referee errors, they mightve have still won. We will never know. Anyone who was watching knows Forrest, with a 1 point lead, a 3rd down stop, and a 4th Q drive that was gonna be a healthy dose of Nick McClendon, that this is how Forrest wins about half their games every year. We wear teams down, and finish them with an intestines-shredding 4th quarter drive, Lewis, Watertown, Tyner, and Meigs have all experienced this in recent years. If Forrest goes down and makes it 22-14 with about 4-5 minutes left, it's very likely they advance. 

As it stood, it was determined that McClendon didn't make the first down with under a minute remaining, inside Riverside's 10. Even with everything that happened, Forrest still had a shot in the final seconds. Thats what's type of kids they are. They will never stop fighting. They will never quit. If they get knocked down they will rise again. And it might take some time, but this program will rise again as well.  

Peabody is beatable. So are Meigs and Trousdale. And sports are too crazy to assume any of the remaining teams has a lock on a Gold Ball or even  getting to Cookeville. 

If you are reading this, and your team is still alive, congratulations. But deep down in your heart, you know, just like all of Riverside knows, the system is broken, and it's just a matter for time before the two-headed snake (TSSAA corruption/Shoddy incompetent reffing) bites your team. Maybe it won't be this year.  But it will happen eventually. 

The TSSAA is an organization which still recognizes a cheating Trezevant as state champs in 2015 and 2016. Multiple schools were robbed along the way. Waverly, Marion, and others. It's a North Korean governing body. Deny it. laugh, react however you like. You know it's true. 

I am crushed for our kids. They deserved better, and even in "victory" Riverside's program deserved better too. 

It hurts all of us. When you graps that, you wil graps what it feels like to be in Chapel Hill this Sunday, still in mourning and so confused and bewildered as to what happened to our season. 

As for Riverside, what a turnaround. And the kids, coaches and fans, are good and decent folks. I wish them the best.

Along with the Panthers, only Peabody, TC, and Meigs remain.  4 solid programs. I hope the refs don't become the story in any of the 3 remaining games 2A has this season. 

When something like this happens to one of us, it should bother all of us.        

See you down the road, 

GF

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Pantherpride45 said:

Check out this highlight!
https://www.hudl.com/v/2CStEn

this the play in Question the River side player was not engaged with the the Forrest player clearly shows blind side block with targeting 

the referee got it right in my opinion 

embarrassing take. put skirts on your players then. that kid took a medium size chuck and went flying. what was he running down for, to tackle thats what. clean block. a soft kid went down. Not our fault.  

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Pantherpride45 said:

I’m in no way way either there iffy calls on both sides 

Riversides first turnover that lead to Forrest 1st score was not even a fumble Hehe was clearly down before ball came out 

you win some lose some

it was not blind side unless the kid has zero peripheral vision. hes running to tackle our kid. hes legally blockable. just cos he fell down doesnt make it a penalty. what a disgace. 

18 hours ago, Bigpun54 said:

Yea after seeing it in believe it was the right call. A new rule implemented not long ago. Yeah it was legal but a blind side. We have had that called on us a handful of times. Since the Ball was just being punted and possession was never gained by Forrest is why rHs retained the ball. Didn't want to come back w it bc not trying to rub it in. 

no you dont. and the possession reversal was worse than the penalty. 2 disgraceful zebra decisions in one play. 

18 hours ago, Jpd73 said:

Found this online... seems assessment depends on the spot of the foul and because last nights foul was in or beyond the expanded neutral zone it should have been assessed "psk" post scrimmage kick. So Forrest ball 1st and 10 after 15 yrd penalty. 

Example: Fourth and 10 for team K from its own 20 yardline. While K1’s punt is in flight, R2 blocks K3 below the waist. The foul occurs at team K’s (a) 18, or (b) 23 yardline. R4 makes a fair catch at the 50 yardline.
Ruling: R2’s block is illegal and occurred before the kick ended. In (a), because the spot of the foul is behind the expanded neutral zone, PSK does not apply. The penalty is marked off 15 yards from the previous spot. That gives team K a new series at its own 35 yardline. In (b), PSK applies. The penalty is enforced from the end of the kick. It will be team R’s ball, first and 10 at its own 35 yardline.
If PSK applies and the kick results in a touchback, team R’s 20 yardline is the basic spot

yes 

18 hours ago, SamMojo said:

Definitely a blindside. And the runner stepped on the boundary where the ref marked it at the end of the game. May have been some iffy calls otherwise but those didn’t cost the game. Actually I was hoping Forrest would score because I wanted to see their kicker Zoe win the game for them. That would have been cool to see. 

terrible take. otherwise great post. 

• CoachT locked this topic