Riverside at Forrest

@38320

4 hours ago, Salem said:

This will go down as one of the worst calls in playoff history for the two reasons listed in my first post. There were issues the entire game with spotting the football and multiple conferences with refs I will discuss later but this one call is not human error or a judgement call; it is not knowing a basic football rule about possession. It’s not acceptable for a quarterfinal playoff game in any organization. 

First it was not a penalty. The Riverside wide cover man in punt formation goes in motion and jogs toward the center of the field and when the ball is snapped he sprints at a 45 degree angle to cover.  Our corner jogs with him and legally blocks him about 5-7 yards downfield. It wasn’t a blind side and there is no way you peel back on a guy running at that angle looking at you. Yes, he blocked him hard and he went to the ground. It was perfectly legal, head across textbook block. Granted officials are not perfect and bad calls happen. That is frustrating.  But the infuriating  part is when 4 officials huddle and give the ball back to RHS. This is a total misapplication of the rule. This is incompetence not worthy of officiating a Pop Warner game. The “penalty’ happened post kick, post possession there is no way RHS keeps the ball unless we rough the long snapper, the kicker, or commit a penalty between the snap and kick. Those group of officials should never ref a high school game again. 

We had just taken the lead in the 4th quarter and got a defensive stop. Our line had gotten on a roll and the defense was wearing down. This call was a game changer. No one saw the flag thrown or laying on the ground. Our offense had run on the field and was huddling waiting on the play to come in when the possession reversal occurred. There was some confusion who was in and who was out and we didn’t even line up correctly on the next play and it cost us. It’s not the only reason for the loss but it was a factor. Our players and coaches have to handle the situation better. Defensively they have to line up and get another stop or call a timeout to regroup and some of the play calls on the last two drives were ill advised. Hats off to Riverside for the season turnaround and I love an underdog story. All the fury from our side is directed towards an officiating crew. Someone needs to review this game and 8 guys need to find something else to do on their Friday evenings in the future. There were some pathetic calls (I haven’t even mentioned some others) and it’s disgusting to see a group of kids work so hard and overcome so many injuries and the previous two season’s frustrations to have it end that way.

Definitely understand your frustration. 

34 minutes ago, Pantherpride45 said:

Check out this highlight!
https://www.hudl.com/v/2CStEn

this the play in Question the River side player was not engaged with the the Forrest player clearly shows blind side block with targeting 

the referee got it right in my opinion 

Yea after seeing it in believe it was the right call. A new rule implemented not long ago. Yeah it was legal but a blind side. We have had that called on us a handful of times. Since the Ball was just being punted and possession was never gained by Forrest is why rHs retained the ball. Didn't want to come back w it bc not trying to rub it in. 

9 minutes ago, Bigpun54 said:

Yea after seeing it in believe it was the right call. A new rule implemented not long ago. Yeah it was legal but a blind side. We have had that called on us a handful of times. Since the Ball was just being punted and possession was never gained by Forrest is why rHs retained the ball. Didn't want to come back w it bc not trying to rub it in. 

I’m in no way way either there iffy calls on both sides 

Riversides first turnover that lead to Forrest 1st score was not even a fumble Hehe was clearly down before ball came out 

you win some lose some

13 minutes ago, Bigpun54 said:

I thought possession changed soon as it’s punted 

Found this online... seems assessment depends on the spot of the foul and because last nights foul was in or beyond the expanded neutral zone it should have been assessed "psk" post scrimmage kick. So Forrest ball 1st and 10 after 15 yrd penalty. 

Example: Fourth and 10 for team K from its own 20 yardline. While K1’s punt is in flight, R2 blocks K3 below the waist. The foul occurs at team K’s (a) 18, or (b) 23 yardline. R4 makes a fair catch at the 50 yardline.
Ruling: R2’s block is illegal and occurred before the kick ended. In (a), because the spot of the foul is behind the expanded neutral zone, PSK does not apply. The penalty is marked off 15 yards from the previous spot. That gives team K a new series at its own 35 yardline. In (b), PSK applies. The penalty is enforced from the end of the kick. It will be team R’s ball, first and 10 at its own 35 yardline.
If PSK applies and the kick results in a touchback, team R’s 20 yardline is the basic spot

Edited by Jpd73

Definitely a blindside. And the runner stepped on the boundary where the ref marked it at the end of the game. May have been some iffy calls otherwise but those didn’t cost the game. Actually I was hoping Forrest would score because I wanted to see their kicker Zoe win the game for them. That would have been cool to see. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bigpun54 said:

The ref explained it then a coach told me. They could b wrong but that's just what they said 

I've never given much thought about exactly when possession changes on a punt, but it stands to reason that it's not until the receiving team's player possesses (or touches) the ball... otherwise wouldn't the kicking team be able to field the ball, either in the air, or on the ground as in a kickoff? Kicking team can field a punted ball, but if they touch it before the receiving team, the ball is dead on that spot, and goes over to the receiving team.

Edited by tradertwo
  • Like 2

• CoachT locked this topic