Riverside at Forrest

@38320

1 hour ago, FightingBlue0 said:

It looks like to pick up the first down, you guys needed to get to the 6 or 5 yard line? He definitely looks short of that by a minimum of at least a yard where the ball is when he steps out. I believe the ball should’ve been marked at the 7 rather the 8 but that would still have you short of a first down. May not have been that precise of a spot but it looks like you guys still would’ve turned it over on the downs anyway. Just trying to clarify from what I’ve looked at. 

600BA836-B3B6-4B97-A578-AA75171BC7FE.jpeg

The only thing you can say factually from that picture is that the spot was inaccurate. The ball was spotted at the 8 and half yard line. In your opinion he could be a yard and a half off based on a grainy screen shot of a video taken from the press box. Some could argue it should be spotted at the 8,  the 7,  the 6. The exact placement can't be determined with the angle we have.  Line to gain was just outside of the 6 yard line.  The problem is the official ran up to the foot prints and pointed. He let everyone around know he was marking the ball here because of the footprints in the mud. This is another example of an official in a playoff game not knowing a basic rule. 

The referee in this photo didn't make the call (he never moved, never said a word) . He is standing on the 9. A ref standing on the sideline at the 13 yard line marked his spot where #6's foot touched the line. His angle is worse than this press box view. A third official was running down the sideline from the end zone to spot but he got  caught up in a wave of players and never made it. 

For those tired of hearing about the officiating find another thread because that was the biggest story on the field that night. 

9 minutes ago, Salem said:

The only thing you can say factually from that picture is that the spot was inaccurate. The ball was spotted at the 8 and half yard line. In your opinion he could be a yard and a half off based on a grainy screen shot of a video taken from the press box. Some could argue it should be spotted at the 8,  the 7,  the 6. The exact placement can't be determined with the angle we have.  Line to gain was just outside of the 6 yard line.  The problem is the official ran up to the foot prints and pointed. He let everyone around know he was marking the ball here because of the footprints in the mud. This is another example of an official in a playoff game not knowing a basic rule. 

The referee in this photo didn't make the call (he never moved, never said a word) . He is standing on the 9. A ref standing on the sideline at the 13 yard line marked his spot where #6's foot touched the line. His angle is worse than this press box view. A third official was running down the sideline from the end zone to spot but he got  caught up in a wave of players and never made it. 

For those tired of hearing about the officiating find another thread because that was the biggest story on the field that night. 

Didn't mean to hit such a soft spot Salem. You're right that you cannot tell for sure without a doubt , but I think most people can depict by that picture that he was well short of even the 6 yard line. His foot is on the line at the 8 and the Riverside player's right foot is on the 6. So if the Riverside player's foot is on the 6 yard line, you can pretty much tell that the football isn't close to crossing the 6. But besides all of that, Riverside still had opportunities to win this game even with the officiating so I think its pretty bush league for a newspaper headline to read "Rockets Robbed in State Quarterfinal"... 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FightingBlue0 said:

Didn't mean to hit such a soft spot Salem. You're right that you cannot tell for sure without a doubt , but I think most people can depict by that picture that he was well short of even the 6 yard line. His foot is on the line at the 8 and the Riverside player's right foot is on the 6. So if the Riverside player's foot is on the 6 yard line, you can pretty much tell that the football isn't close to crossing the 6. But besides all of that, Riverside still had opportunities to win this game even with the officiating so I think its pretty bush league for a newspaper headline to read "Rockets Robbed in State Quarterfinal"... 

Exactly, this isn't a beaten dead horse it is a Brutalized dead horse. I write the sports for our small town paper and my editor would have never allowed that headline. I agree writing for a small paper versus large paper that covers other teams is totally different and you pretty much going to be a homer but c'mon 

4 hours ago, FightingBlue0 said:

Not a soft spot. I'll debate football all day long. I've only said the ref's spot was incorrect. I've watched FHS's last run many times. The effort by the RB and the pursuit and hustle of the defense is awesome to watch; the Forrest blocking not so much.  

Biggest call in the game was the incorrect possession on the punt. Points of my post game posts were the quality of this crew. They are not playoff caliber and should be done for the year. 

A play in the first half: If you've watched film Riverside puts 10 in the box and blitzes and slants more often than not. On our second possession facing a 1st and 10 at midfield we run a full back dive to the right. On the left side a LB blitzes inside of the guard who blocks him down, the DT slants inside of our offensive tackle who pushed him down over both our left guard and the blitzing linebacker. We gain 5 and have 2nd and 5 at the 45. Two backside blocks that had nothing to do with the run to the other side. A flag is thrown for illegal cut block and we now have 1st and 25 from our 35. Huge penalty; a Drive killer. Another official on this crew who doesn't understand a rule. Again, this crew was not ready for prime time. 

12 minutes ago, GeneralForrest said:

so lemme get this straight. its not the egregious officiating that is the issue. its the marshall co tribune HEADLINE!?!?!?!?!?!!!

were the Rockets NOT robbed? YES THEY WERE. was it a state quarterfinal?! YES IT WAS. 

so how is the headline inaccurate.  

Call what you want General. Whatever helps you sleep at night 

4 minutes ago, FightingBlue0 said:

Call what you want General. Whatever helps you sleep at night 

a bunch of high school kids got robbed.  henceforth and heretofore, i agree with the headline as Mr Puca  stated it. therefoere its NOT "call it what you want" to you.  you guys as fans of TSSAA athletes should care that the outcome of a quarterfinal game was decided by refs as well, but youre more concerned about a newpaper headline 

4 minutes ago, GeneralForrest said:

a bunch of high school kids got robbed.  henceforth and heretofore, i agree with the headline as Mr Puca  stated it. therefoere its NOT "call it what you want" to you.  you guys as fans of TSSAA athletes should care that the outcome of a quarterfinal game was decided by refs as well, but youre more concerned about a newpaper headline 

Like I said, whatever helps you sleep at night 

• CoachT locked this topic