Oak Ridge High School Football 2020

CardinalGrey

15 hours ago, SweetScience said:

Agree on all points, bonkers. I asked earlier and I’ll ask again. What’s the status of #13?

My information from the father of a player is that he's not "fine" but he's better than he was Thursday night. The father said the team did some conditioning yesterday and that he didn't or couldn't participate.

I hope that # 1 can return this week, the lack of a more physical running back hurt over at Farragut, OR had too many dud first down plays got no yardage or lost yardage. OR had to throw way too much since we had little running game, even on 3rd or 4th and 3 we had to throw.  On defense the secondary got toasted a lot and not able to put much pressure on the QB. Farragut converted way too many 3rd downs, even a 3rd and 19 deep in their own territory. Missed extra points put OR off balance and started having to chase points going for two on the third score. The QB threw for 346 yards and that ought to be enough, he had a good night under some heavy pressure at times. The two Farragut punts that went out at the 6 hurt in the 4th Quarter, and the last Farragut TD was just missed tackles and bad angles, plus they got lucky when the ball was stripped at the 7 but bounced right back to the back as he crossed the goal line.  OR missed some opportunities on a couple of fumbles too.  Need a good week of practice and get hurt players back.  West will be very physical on defense and OR needs to be able to run the ball on them, on offense, they are more run oriented than Farragut, so stop the run. I think it will be a close game, unless turnovers happen.

Edited by Cactus Jack

On 9/12/2020 at 8:52 AM, bonkers said:

My information from the father of a player is that he's not "fine" but he's better than he was Thursday night. The father said the team did some conditioning yesterday and that he didn't or couldn't participate.

Well Im just going off what his Mom said.That would be some bad cramps if he is still not fine

19 minutes ago, STILLNUM1 said:

Very true

Here are some weaknesses that CANNOT be corrected. First, the defensive line is slow and therefore CANNOT apply pressure to the QB (proven fact). They're good versus the run but not good at pressuring the QB. Big strong lines like DB and Farragut will have their way with OR and there's nothing to combat that fact. When your best player simply doesn't play, there's not a thing that can be done about that. When your kicker just plain misses two extra points, then I'm not sure what to do about that. I must assume they work on extra points in practice, but your kicker is your kicker. It's not like they can just "scholarship" a new kicker. There are some things in the Farragut game that can be corrected and i would guess that they have worked those things. I'm very interested to see how this game goes Thursday night.

3 hours ago, bonkers said:

Here are some weaknesses that CANNOT be corrected. First, the defensive line is slow and therefore CANNOT apply pressure to the QB (proven fact). They're good versus the run but not good at pressuring the QB. Big strong lines like DB and Farragut will have their way with OR and there's nothing to combat that fact. When your best player simply doesn't play, there's not a thing that can be done about that. When your kicker just plain misses two extra points, then I'm not sure what to do about that. I must assume they work on extra points in practice, but your kicker is your kicker. It's not like they can just "scholarship" a new kicker. There are some things in the Farragut game that can be corrected and i would guess that they have worked those things. I'm very interested to see how this game goes Thursday night.

Bonkers, TBH, it’s debatable that they are even that good against the run. Both Farragut and DB, the 2 best teams we’ve played moved the ball fairly easy running the ball on us. DB ran it up and down the field all night long, and they did it without their best running back even playing, mind you. Shutting down CC and HVA, two very mediocre teams at best hardly constitutes our run defense as being very good. Harsh I know, but true. With that said, it (run D) was not what got us beaten versus Farragut. We can at least agree upon that.

Edited by SweetScience

10 hours ago, bonkers said:

I agree with most of what you said.But we can work on playing the right kind of defense and having the right players in the right spot.I do see the same problems with the DBs that was there last yr.I will give credit to 1 or 2 guys who have got better.Most would agree the dline just isnt good enuff to pressure QB so u gotta bring pressure from somewhere.What dont make sense is how we send no LBs or DBs and somebody is wide open or getting beat 1 on1 like 17.We waste guys guarding a zone 5 yards off ball on 3rd and 17 and it blows my mind.Good news is they have made changes on offense and I think it will help Jackson out a lot.Lastly on SP teams its the break down on return game and having to run players on late that add up with missed XPs that drive me crazy.We need more attention to the little things that add up.

7 hours ago, SweetScience said:

Bonkers, TBH, it’s debatable that they are even that good against the run. Both Farragut and DB, the 2 best teams we’ve played moved the ball fairly easy running the ball on us. DB ran it up and down the field all night long, and they did it without their best running back even playing, mind you. Shutting down CC and HVA, two very mediocre teams at best hardly constitutes our run defense as being very good. Harsh I know, but true. With that said, it (run D) was not what got us beaten versus Farragut. We can at least agree upon that.

Lets see how the DC and players react to such a pathetic showing.It would be great to see some improvement if nothing else.I dont have much faith but would love to be  wrong