TN records

cougars130

2 hours ago, FargoStrut said:

That's right, and with that being said, "Lil" Kramer wrestled 60+ matches every yr for the last 4 yrs, wrestling 69 his freshman yr so 70+ isn't some unreachable number during the mid 90's or even now for that matter.

That's an impressive accomplishment for a Heavyweight. It's hard sometimes to even get the big boys as many matches as some of the other classes, but I'd be interested to see how long his average match lasted. With a winning percentage that high I doubt he let them last too long. 

10 hours ago, JSamson7 said:

That's an impressive accomplishment for a Heavyweight. It's hard sometimes to even get the big boys as many matches as some of the other classes, but I'd be interested to see how long his average match lasted. With a winning percentage that high I doubt he let them last too long. 

just looking at last year, of those 64 wins...per track:

(dates shown to show when in the season said match occurred)

closest match: 6-2 dec over Wilson Benefield (11/27)

longest other match: vs Hayden Brammer of Nolensville, pin in 3:06 (12/1)

shortest match: 10 seconds

only 2 matches saw the second period (see above)

only 16 matches saw a second MINUTE

pinned in 43 seconds in the state finals  

TOTAL time spent on mat at the state tournament: 4 minutes, 3 seconds...48 seconds match average

impressive stuff.

Edited by Bump11
  • Upvote 1

The rules are different compared to the 90's with how many duals and such you could wrestle and how many tourneys you could wrestle compared to now, just like the rule is different in regards to sending a Jv team to a varsity tournament if so inclined. As far as 70 matches a year that's hard to do now and also sorry you don't count byes or forfeits into actual records. McTory's record was actual matches he actual wrestled someone, so if you now wrestle 70 matches a year with 24 forfeits that's not wrestling. Literally most scrubs can walk out and get their hand raised. We didn't keep forfeits as record in the mid and late 90's(heck my record as a wrestler would have looked much better). Now as far as the Hooker I am not sure if his included forfeits or not. 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, cobrakid8 said:

The rules are different compared to the 90's with how many duals and such you could wrestle and how many tourneys you could wrestle compared to now, just like the rule is different in regards to sending a Jv team to a varsity tournament if so inclined. As far as 70 matches a year that's hard to do now and also sorry you don't count byes or forfeits into actual records. McTory's record was actual matches he actual wrestled someone, so if you now wrestle 70 matches a year with 24 forfeits that's not wrestling. Literally most scrubs can walk out and get their hand raised. We didn't keep forfeits as record in the mid and late 90's(heck my record as a wrestler would have looked much better). Now as far as the Hooker I am not sure if his included forfeits or not. 

Agreed and McTorry beat some super studs to win his titles. In my opinion there's still not one wrestler in the last 30 years that can match his athleticism in the state.

1 hour ago, JSamson7 said:

Agreed and McTorry beat some super studs to win his titles. In my opinion there's still not one wrestler in the last 30 years that can match his athleticism in the state.

Everyone must also remember that Charles McTorry won the state when you only had one (1) division not three divisions.  Wrestlers couldn't bump up or drop down to avoid one good wrestler because there were three or four good wrestlers  at most weight classifications.  

• Upvote 1

On 12/5/2019 at 7:49 PM, FargoStrut said:

That's right, and with that being said, "Lil" Kramer wrestled 60+ matches every yr for the last 4 yrs, wrestling 69 his freshman yr so 70+ isn't some unreachable number during the mid 90's or even now for that matter.

Just curious of those 60 and 70 plus wins, how many were forfeits? 

Edited by PaulSimpson

17 minutes ago, PaulSimpson said:

Just curious of those 60 and 70 plus wins, how many were forfeits? 

If I counted correctly he had 54 last year against an opponent, still a dang high number of matches, I don’t remember ever having over 46 or so.

also a big distinction between McTory and Kramer vs Hooker. Hooker got his in 5 years as he was able to wrestle and win as an 8th grader unlike both McTory and Kramer. Most public school wrestlers don’t have that choice!

Edited by cobrakid8
  • Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, cobrakid8 said:

If I counted correctly he had 54 last year against an opponent, still a dang high number of matches, I don’t remember ever having over 46 or so.

also a big distinction between McTory and Kramer vs Hooker. Hooker got his in 5 years as he was able to wrestle and win as an 8th grader unlike both McTory and Kramer. Most public school wrestlers don’t have that choice!

Greenback