Preseason Top Ten in 4A for 2020

FridayMainEvent

7 hours ago, BooWhoWiseMan said:

Wow. Marshall and Nolensville back in there again.  Another tough year for my Raiders.  I do think Nolensville will not be quite as good as last year.  I think it is so unfair how they can be pushing 6A numbers playing in 4A.  Marshall not sure what they got coming back but they are always good.  I think their stud RB is gone though

He was actually dismissed last year prior to the end of the season.

On 4/11/2020 at 6:28 PM, GangTackle said:

Elizabethton clearly the favorite followed by Greeneville.

Curious how you put Marshall and AC above Nolensville and Springfield. Springfield was the state runner up and Nolensville has 1000 more kids than every school on that list. 

Haywood had multiple big time players graduate even though they don't rebuild they reload. 

Hardin Co also has the best QB in 4A and possibly the best TE in the state and one of the best in the nation. 

I would assume because Nolensville lost so much.  

On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 6:28 PM, GangTackle said:

Elizabethton clearly the favorite followed by Greeneville.

Curious how you put Marshall and AC above Nolensville and Springfield. Springfield was the state runner up and Nolensville has 1000 more kids than every school on that list. 

Haywood had multiple big time players graduate even though they don't rebuild they reload. 

Hardin Co also has the best QB in 4A and possibly the best TE in the state and one of the best in the nation. 

Marshall County beat both teams fairly easy last year (Nolensville and Springfield). Losing just a few starters from last year.

Edited by Marshall1969

I think some of you just looked at our Top Ten on our website but didn't watch our "reveal" show for our Top Ten.   In most cases, we tried to explain how we arrived at out selections.   Absolutely positive we screwed up on a few picks in every class.   It happens every year!  Our main reason for putting one out so early this year is because we felt the high school football fan needed a brief refrain from all this "Corona Virus" stuff.  

Hopefully whether you agree with our picks or not, you do see that we are trying to make the best of a bad situation.   I absolutely hate this for all the the 2020 seniors.   What a crappy hand they were dealt.  Luckily for the Football seniors, they were able to complete their sport and most of the basketball was concluded except for obviously the Championship (real bummer!)   The spring sports... I feel the worse for you guys.    Just remember, sometimes life isn't fair, but the sun will come up tomorrow and 30 years from now, this will not have a major impact on your life.

If anyone did disagree with our picks, at least take the time to watch our show and perhaps we did answer a few questions about how we came up with our pics.   As always, appreciate you guys tuning in to our show and we can't wait to get things started back up this fall:

24 minutes ago, GangTackle said:

And then got put out by Dekalb who Nolensville beat badly. I'm looking at playoff success not regular season.

If you want to look at Play-Off Success since Tennessee switched to 6 classifications then Nolensville and Dekalb have nothing to say to Marshall Co......

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, GangTackle said:

I'm talking about last year? 

You don't do Play-off Success as a one year thing.  Play-off Success is over time.  That's like Saying CAK in 2011 and 2012 has more play-off success than Alcoa since they beat them in the play-off those years

Just now, GangTackle said:

We are talking about this season top 10. Therefore the best we have is last season results. You are going back 8 or 9 years and I don't understand why. Marshall was beat by a inferior DeKalb team last season while Nolensville trounced them. I don't see what you are getting at. Who cares if you go 10-0. Playoffs are what matters. I try to go season by season not 8 or 9 years ago? You are a Green Devil though yall think differently.

How does last season results then have anything to do with this season?  Thats what i thought they don't.  Could it be that Marshall County returns a lot from last season and Dekalb and Nolensville doesn't?  Thats like comparing Greeneville's 2018 and their results to the 2019 team results (2 different teams and a ton of starters that graduated off that 2018 team).  If you want to look at this year then look at what these teams have coming back not what they did in the regular season or play-offs last year.  Maybe you should actually watch Friday Night Main Events youtube show and they will tell you why they have these teams ranked were they do.....

1 minute ago, GangTackle said:

I watched the show and think they are great. You lose to Dekalb and Nolensville beats them 42-6 i just can't ignore that. I know Marshall has a lot coming back BUT they lost a lot of great players too! Betsy and Springfield has almost everyone coming back. Why is Springfield so low if thats what we are looking at then? They beat Haywood last year.

But you can ignore the fact Nolensville lost to Marshall?  It's about match up's.  It's the same way that AC has yet to lose to Betsy in the play-offs but can't beat Greeneville at the same time.  Springfield is ranked 2nd out of the west behind Haywood who they beat in OT last year and return a ton in the 2nd year under Chris Smith.  Betsy could have beat Springfield worse than they did last year and in my opinion Haywood is ranked to high but they can't just not put one team in the west in top 5. I could name 6 teams out of the East side of the bracket that would have beaten Springfield last year......

1 hour ago, Marshall1969 said:

Marshall County was in the final 4 in playoffs, 3 out of the last 5 years

He defines playoff success as just the previous year not as a whole (which no one that knows football would do).  He would say since the 49ers won it all last year in the NFL they have had better playoff success than the Patriots, not that the 49ers had a better year last year....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GangTackle said:

No I never said that. You see just being a typical Green Devil and assuming everything and think you know everything. Yes I Know Marshall did that and then got bounced by a average team but I guess Dekalb is better than the entire west too. Springfield made it to Cookeville. Yup Marshall did beat Springfield badly. Maybe they had a bad game. Marshall is a great program but think they are ranked a little high. The devils better just worry about their new big brother for the next 2-3 years. 

'I'm talking about last year? "We are talking about this season top 10. Therefore the best we have is last season results". This was after you tried to talk about playoff success so make up your mind is playoff success a one year thing or not?  It's GreenE Devil by the way.  Springfield made it to Cookeville because they didn't have to beat anyone from the East Side of the Bracket to lay another egg against Betsy (3 first downs the entire game and 133 Yards of total offense in that game).  If you haven't seen the difference in state championship game teams since moving to 6 classifications between the West Side of the Bracket and the East Side of the bracket then please educate yourself. If you will look at the point differential in those games and then take a look back at who each team has played in the playoffs its not hard to compare.  Another good example was Knox Catholic winning it in 2015 48-8 against Pearl-Cohn who represented the West.   Catholic faced better teams from the East side of the bracket in round 2, quarters, and semi's than the PC team that made it out of the west and was a 3 seed in the playoffs because they finished 3rd in their own district....

Edited by Swipes