Preseason Top Ten in 4A for 2020

FridayMainEvent

20 hours ago, JacketLover said:

Those @FridayMainEvent guys know their stuff, that’s for sure. I have mad respect for what they do for high school football during and after the season. 

Regarding previous posts as to Springfield, you play who you play. The Jackets schedule tough teams out of region to get better for the playoffs. Marshall County did beat us soundly during the regular season, but had the two teams met during the playoffs I’m not sure the results would have been the same. I will also state the obvious in that the top teams from the NE were better than Springfield when they met in the finals. I am one that believes in the old saying that anything can happen on a given day, and that’s why I look forward to the day a gold ball comes back to Springfield. I will never count our boys out. 

I have a lot of respect for what has been done at Greeneville and Elizabethtown and can only hope that Springfield continues on the path it has started and can the establish the type of tradition that Greeneville has. 

I think that the East side of the bracket will be between the big three of Greeneville, Elizabethtown, and Anderson County. The West, IMO, will be between Hardin County, Haywood County, and Springfield. 

@JacketLover. I'm not going to argue with you on the Marshall Co statement. We lost our RB week 7-8 and we lost that explosiveness. He decided to quit and we weren't very deep at the RB position last year. Could have been a good rematch with Springfield. I wished MC played out of the west side instead like we used to. We would have met again. I'm glad we got SHS on our schedule it could be a great rival. If we get to play.

3 hours ago, EHSTrack06 said:

Greeneville imo is still the flag bearer for the East when it comes to 4A. Im super stoked EHS won a title and proved we can finally get over that hump. However I don't know how long the window will be open for EHS to win a title, I can only hope we can sustain it like Greeneville. I've said for years after the Alcoa game that came down to the wire EHS was closing the gap and they have improved every year. As for the bracket, It's definitely between us, Greeneville and AC. Another reason I think the East dominates is scheduling. EHS and Greeneville annually have the chance to see each other twice, I don't think there is a team in the west that has to face a team that tough twice potentially.

Elizabethton and Greeneville it seems like have been on a similar scale for decades in several sports.I'm thankful for our success in the past several years but can still remember stories of my dad playing against a great Betsy basketball team  in the fifties.I know your football team was a handful in the seventies for us.It's hard to see your team lose but after the loss to Elizabethton last year,I was 100 % pulling for Betsy to bring a title back to NET. 

2 hours ago, Marshall1969 said:

@JacketLover. I'm not going to argue with you on the Marshall Co statement. We lost our RB week 7-8 and we lost that explosiveness. He decided to quit and we weren't very deep at the RB position last year. Could have been a good rematch with Springfield. I wished MC played out of the west side instead like we used to. We would have met again. I'm glad we got SHS on our schedule it could be a great rival. If we get to play.

Wasn’t trying to stir the pot, I should’ve said the game would’ve been closer had we met later on. I agree that I am glad the two schools are scheduling each other, it makes for a great rivalry and a tradition rich environment. I too am looking forward to the game this season. I haven’t been to MC since y’all played Knox Central in the playoffs a few years ago. 

5 hours ago, BatmanLives said:

Elizabethton and Greeneville it seems like have been on a similar scale for decades in several sports.I'm thankful for our success in the past several years but can still remember stories of my dad playing against a great Betsy basketball team  in the fifties.I know your football team was a handful in the seventies for us.It's hard to see your team lose but after the loss to Elizabethton last year,I was 100 % pulling for Betsy to bring a title back to NET. 

Thanks Batman for the kind words and we love the Cyclones here in Betsy land.I’m not sure if we can win as many titles as the Devils have but we have definitely closed the gap.

Edited by lawnman

2 hours ago, lawnman said:

Thanks Batman for the kind words and we love the Cyclones here in Betsy land.I’m not sure if we can win as many titles has the Devils have but we have definitely closed the gap.

Well,that first Elizabethton championship back in the late 30s will never be matched by anyone in my opinion.

15 minutes ago, lawnman said:

Don’t know much about that one but I hear that team was a good one.

What seperates the 1938 team is that there was a playoff that year and only one team would become the state champ. I don't know if there was ever another playoff year before or until the late sixties with the three classes.Either way,that makes that Elizabethton team very special.

28 minutes ago, BatmanLives said:

What seperates the 1938 team is that there was a playoff that year and only one team would become the state champ. I don't know if there was ever another playoff year before or until the late sixties with the three classes.Either way,that makes that Elizabethton team very special.

Didn’t know about the playoff scenario.

11 hours ago, lawnman said:

Didn’t know about the playoff scenario.

According to what I found it was the only year before 1969 that the  Tennessee high school system had a playoff to determine a true football champion.Elizabethton was undefeated but had a 0-0 tie at Dobyns Bennett during the regular season. That was Elizabethton's first playoff game  to determine who was the best in east Tennessee and they killed the Tribe 39-0. They then beat the best in middle TN, " Shelbyville " before going to Jackson to beat the best in West TN .Ha,the only thing close to that now is when we have those imaginary football leagues on coacht,trying to say how the best public and private schools would do against each other on a given year .

Edited by BatmanLives