Preseason Top Ten in 4A for 2020

FridayMainEvent

5 hours ago, BatmanLives said:

According to what I found it was the only year before 1969 that the  Tennessee high school system had a playoff to determine a true football champion.Elizabethton was undefeated but had a 0-0 tie at Dobyns Bennett during the regular season. That was Elizabethton's first playoff game  to determine who was the best in east Tennessee and they killed the Tribe 39-0. They then beat the best in middle TN, " Shelbyville " before going to Jackson to beat the best in West TN .Ha,the only thing close to that now is when we have those imaginary football leagues on coacht,trying to say how the best public and private schools would do against each other on a given year .

That’s some good stuff Batman.

12 hours ago, BatmanLives said:

According to what I found it was the only year before 1969 that the  Tennessee high school system had a playoff to determine a true football champion.Elizabethton was undefeated but had a 0-0 tie at Dobyns Bennett during the regular season. That was Elizabethton's first playoff game  to determine who was the best in east Tennessee and they killed the Tribe 39-0. They then beat the best in middle TN, " Shelbyville " before going to Jackson to beat the best in West TN .Ha,the only thing close to that now is when we have those imaginary football leagues on coacht,trying to say how the best public and private schools would do against each other on a given year .

Very cool! Thank for sharing. 

That will cement Elizabethton respect in my brain for the rest of my life. I love nostalgia! :thumb:

I'm hoping to see Fairview High School voluntarily bump up to get them some of 4a. 

I'm not sure if they'll be in the the Marshall County/Nolensville district  or with Springfield but I like their chances to be a force in either. 

Step up Hughes! They've been good enough to get to state in the west more than once in the last decade IMO. 

Edited by Swarm

40 minutes ago, Swarm said:

I'm hoping to see Fairview High School voluntarily bump up to get them some of 4a. 

I'm not sure if they'll be in the the Marshall County/Nolensville district  or with Springfield but I like their chances to be a force in either. 

Step up Hughes! They've been good enough to get to state in the west more than once in the last decade IMO. 

That's a tough argument to make unless your saying 3A was tougher than 4A in the West.   You could make that argument with Alcoa in the East.

2 hours ago, FridayMainEvent said:

That's a tough argument to make unless your saying 3A was tougher than 4A in the West.   You could make that argument with Alcoa in the East.

I'm not looking to argue with anyone but I'll go on record saying it's harder to get to Cookeville through Metro Nashville (R5 3A) than it is to get the dance in 4a. How has Springfield fared against Pearl Cohn? 

How many times have they went to Cookeville? Nuff said. 

9 hours ago, Swarm said:

I'm not looking to argue with anyone but I'll go on record saying it's harder to get to Cookeville through Metro Nashville (R5 3A) than it is to get the dance in 4a. How has Springfield fared against Pearl Cohn? 

How many times have they went to Cookeville? Nuff said. 

Nobody ask you to argue.  I ask if you were saying 3A is tougher than 4A.   You've now clarified that is what you are saying and I'm not disagreeing with you.

20 hours ago, Swarm said:

I would love to see Fairview move up in the same district as Marshall county. Fairview always has a very tough team. We will take Fairview and give you LCHS. lol

6 minutes ago, Marshall1969 said:

I would love to see Fairview move up in the same district as Marshall county. Fairview always has a very tough team. We will take Fairview and give you LCHS. lol

Lol. I still remember the old 12aa days. Marshall, Giles, Spring Hill, etc. 

I was told by a coach that we'd likely go into the region with Marshall County a couple years ago when I brought it up. That would be a great rivalry. If we'd been playing since Osteen took over I must say I think we'd have lost that game more than not but it would be competitive. I think we'd have got yall a couple years though. 

We scrimmage every year. I can always tell how good we're going to be based on how we match up. Theres been a couple times we did well but I remember a couple others where I didn't feel like we belonged on the same field. 

Much respect for the Tigers. :thumb:

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Swarm said:

Lol. I still remember the old 12aa days. Marshall, Giles, Spring Hill, etc. 

I was told by a coach that we'd likely go into the region with Marshall County a couple years ago when I brought it up. That would be a great rivalry. If we'd been playing since Osteen took over I must say I think we'd have lost that game more than not but it would be competitive. I think we'd have got yall a couple years though. 

We scrimmage every year. I can always tell how good we're going to be based on how we match up. Theres been a couple times we did well but I remember a couple others where I didn't feel like we belonged on the same field. 

Much respect for the Tigers. :thumb:

I remember when Fairview kicked our butt several years. Maybe when they vote this reclassification next month we may get our wish.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2020 at 5:39 PM, Swarm said:

They've been good enough to get to state in the west more than once in the last decade IMO. 

Nolensville and Springfield will probably move on from 4A in the next classification cycle and end up in 5A. 

Maplewood will probably end up playing in 3A with Pearl-Cohn, Stratford, East Nashville, and Whites Creek.  I could even see Whites Creek and possibly Pearl-Cohn playing 2A football.  

I wouldn't be shocked if Camden ends up in 2A with Waverly, Hickman, East, Riverside, Scotts Hill, etc.  The same goes for Harpeth.  

I wouldn't be shocked if Giles County and Fairview wind up playing in 4A in 2021 and 2022.  

Then again I also wouldn't be surprised if some of those Metro-Nashville teams end up playing 4A football the next go around.  

It's going to be a weird classification with a lot of changes if it stays in a 6-Class Plan.  If they go to a 5-Class Plan there will be less changes and more of these teams will end up playing in the same classes due to a lack of options.  

On 7/23/2020 at 5:39 PM, Swarm said:

The west in 3A is brutal and much tougher than the west in 4A in my opinion. Would be a good move for y’all. 

• Upvote 1