Loretto/Summertown

Brazier

2 hours ago, Jaychapman said:

Stown don’t necessarily concentrate on basketball  / won State Championships recently in volleyball tennis golf softball / sometimes that’s why late jelling with so much overlap while others play one sport all year 

GC is running into that a little with some of their good basketball players playing softball. GC is not on the same level as Summertown in softball. Used to hardly any basketball players played nothing but basketball.

13 hours ago, Jaychapman said:

The younger girls ( mean elementary school age kids ) so look up to these hs players they want to be just like them when they grow up /can’t describe the look on their faces just to be close to them or even touch them / that’s what keeps the tradition alive year after year 

Your post reminds me of a scene I witnessed last year—right after the tournament. I was sitting outside of the Cracker Barrel in Cookeville and saw a young woman, who looked a lot like Gracee Dishman with an older couple. I noticed two very young girls, who looked like they were players, wearing Upperman t-shirts. I'm reminded that the two Upperman girls seemed to be in awe of Miss Basketball, in keeping with everything you say.

When I found out that Upperman would be coming to Greeneville to play in our Christmas tournament, I made it a point to look for those two kids. Sure enough, I easily recognized one girl  and thought I recognized the other. Both were Freshman.

To your point, there's no doubt the two young players were in awe of Dishman, but I believe they knew her talent wasn't something that could just rub off on them. They have to work very hard at the game in order to be successful.

I do have my favorite team, but I also admire all the kids from all the teams who are learning how to compete to win. They will one day be leaders in our society.

1 hour ago, Americal198 said:

Your post reminds me of a scene I witnessed last year—right after the tournament. I was sitting outside of the Cracker Barrel in Cookeville and saw a young woman, who looked a lot like Gracee Dishman with an older couple. I noticed two very young girls, who looked like they were players, wearing Upperman t-shirts. I'm reminded that the two Upperman girls seemed to be in awe of Miss Basketball, in keeping with everything you say.

When I found out that Upperman would be coming to Greeneville to play in our Christmas tournament, I made it a point to look for those two kids. Sure enough, I easily recognized one girl  and thought I recognized the other. Both were Freshman.

To your point, there's no doubt the two young players were in awe of Dishman, but I believe they knew her talent wasn't something that could just rub off on them. They have to work very hard at the game in order to be successful.

I do have my favorite team, but I also admire all the kids from all the teams who are learning how to compete to win. They will one day be leaders in our society.

One thing about Kobe Bryant and may he Rest In Peace is he was a worker and was a gym rat. His teenage girl Giana (Gigi) was a player and was maybe 13 or so and Kobe was their AAU coach. He said they practiced every day and twice a day in the summer. If you are not working on your game to get better, somebody else in your District is. Success doesn’t ride the elevator, it takes the stairs.

Edited by pioneer42

40 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

One thing about Kobe Bryant and may he Rest In Peace is he was a worker and was a gym rat. His teenage girl Giana (Gigi) was a player and was maybe 13 or so and Kobe was their AAU coach. He said they practiced every day and twice a day in the summer. If you are not working on your game to get better, somebody else in your District is. Success doesn’t ride the elevator, it takes the stairs.

Well stated: "If you are not working on your game someone else is." 

Bryant was way too young to die, but at least he had lived for a good amount of time, accomplishing much. I'm at a real loss for words about the kids who lost their lives.

• Like 1

Pioneer, I just ask one thing--if SHS and GC somehow meet up, make sure your band mingles with the SHS band. 

As to SHS/LHS basketball--that is a war that will never end. Seeing as how the bigger school in the county wont play either of them anymore, county pride is on the line between these two. They both take it serious.  And it wont end anytime soon. Im told that there is a younger Weathers that is supposed to be better than big sis--I would have to see that to believe it, but I hear that is the case. Im sure Brazier can elaborate on that.

The region being in Lawrenceburg this year is a huge plus for SHS/LHS. While it  appears to be a 3 team race, one has to think the decided advantage is with the two Lawrence County schools. As for sectionals/substate (whatever you call them), I really dont see anyone in 5A that can beat any of the 3 from 6A.

18 minutes ago, Vandychris said:

Pioneer, I just ask one thing--if SHS and GC somehow meet up, make sure your band mingles with the SHS band. 

As to SHS/LHS basketball--that is a war that will never end. Seeing as how the bigger school in the county wont play either of them anymore, county pride is on the line between these two. They both take it serious.  And it wont end anytime soon. Im told that there is a younger Weathers that is supposed to be better than big sis--I would have to see that to believe it, but I hear that is the case. Im sure Brazier can elaborate on that.

The region being in Lawrenceburg this year is a huge plus for SHS/LHS. While it  appears to be a 3 team race, one has to think the decided advantage is with the two Lawrence County schools. As for sectionals/substate (whatever you call them), I really dont see anyone in 5A that can beat any of the 3 from 6A.

Have they decided on where the region will be played? I hope we make it to state. Got to suck it up and get hot!!

"As to SHS/LHS basketball--that is a war that will never end. Seeing as how the bigger school in the county wont play either of them anymore, county pride is on the line between these two"

Don't think that statement is accurate... not even gonna debate that both LHS/SHS has had better girls teams the last few years, where the boys teams have been closer despite the last few years where LHS has had a very good team. But saying that LCHS won't play them anymore is not accurate. I can't say for 100% but I think it's pretty well know both SHS/LHS dropped LCHS in basketball.  Which currently don't hurt my feelings because LCHS has nothing to gain and everything to lose, and the last couple of years we could not beat either of them. Good luck to both!

4 hours ago, golfcat said:

"As to SHS/LHS basketball--that is a war that will never end. Seeing as how the bigger school in the county wont play either of them anymore, county pride is on the line between these two"

Don't think that statement is accurate... not even gonna debate that both LHS/SHS has had better girls teams the last few years, where the boys teams have been closer despite the last few years where LHS has had a very good team. But saying that LCHS won't play them anymore is not accurate. I can't say for 100% but I think it's pretty well know both SHS/LHS dropped LCHS in basketball.  Which currently don't hurt my feelings because LCHS has nothing to gain and everything to lose, and the last couple of years we could not beat either of them. Good luck to both!

I know for a fact you are 100 percent wrong.  I know Loretto tried the last 2 years to get LCHS on their schedule and they would not play Loretto.  It would be a big money gate too for both schools.  Does not make any sense for the county rivals not to play.