Region 7AA

sportslover88

5 hours ago, sportslover88 said:

In regards to the tournament, are Lexington boys in the tournament? If not, why would the region tournament be at a school that isn't even playing in the tournament? That doesn't make sense to me. I know it rotates and whatever but still.

Yea Lexington is in it! They will be traveling to either dyersburg or South Gibson. They play tonight to find out if they are the 3 or 4 seed. If they win they will go 2 dyersburg. If the lose they will travel to South Gibson! But to answer your question a team doesn’t have to be in the tournament to host the tournament. 

Edited by HawkGuy06

1 hour ago, HawkGuy06 said:

Yea Lexington is in it! They will be traveling to either dyersburg or South Gibson. They play tonight to find out if they are the 3 or 4 seed. If they win they will go 2 dyersburg. If the lose they will travel to dyersburg! But to answer your question a team doesn’t have to be in the tournament to host the tournament. 

Well I know they don't have to be. It was more of a statement than a question. I feel like tournaments are rotated through to keep from a team having home court advantage every single year. However, if a school doesn't have a team in it, then I feel it should be rotated to another school instead of everyone having to travel to that school. I also though feel if say 13AA sweeps the first round and the region is supposed to be held in 14AA, then it should be moved instead to a 13AA school. I know how it has been for years but just an opinion

1 hour ago, HawkGuy06 said:

Yea Lexington is in it! They will be traveling to either dyersburg or South Gibson. They play tonight to find out if they are the 3 or 4 seed. If they win they will go 2 dyersburg. If the lose they will travel to dyersburg! But to answer your question a team doesn’t have to be in the tournament to host the tournament. 

If Lexington wins they play the #2 seed from 13AA, if they lose they play the #1 seed. And it is my understanding that the tournament shifts to 13AA side if they sweep 14AA in the first round. I doubt that happens because I dont see the the 3 or 4 seed from 13AA beating SS in the first round, but hey its the postseason.

1 hour ago, sportslover88 said:

Well I know they don't have to be. It was more of a statement than a question. I feel like tournaments are rotated through to keep from a team having home court advantage every single year. However, if a school doesn't have a team in it, then I feel it should be rotated to another school instead of everyone having to travel to that school. I also though feel if say 13AA sweeps the first round and the region is supposed to be held in 14AA, then it should be moved instead to a 13AA school. I know how it has been for years but just an opinion

Well next year you will get your wish 13AA will host! I say either dyersburg or Westview will host! 

23 hours ago, Tigersandcats said:

It was another classic between the Cats and the Hawks. Neither team played there A game for sure but played hard physical game. Always a battle when these two teams go at it!!!  

At times looked more like roller derby than basketball. Amazing how much body contact officials are allowing. Teams need a good weight program. Otherwise a great game that both teams fought like heck to win. Sure got my money's worth.

8 minutes ago, Croppygenius said:

At times looked more like roller derby than basketball. Amazing how much body contact officials are allowing. Teams need a good weight program. Otherwise a great game that both teams fought like heck to win. Sure got my money's worth.

West TN has allowed a lot of contact this year for sure. They won’t give them that contact in Murfreesboro. I talked to some officials while doing our Thanksgiving Tournament and they said if you call games in the state they are instructed to call a foul if it is a foul, no matter how big or small. Loretto and Gibson County both had intentional fouls called on them in the championship game last year. Different world up there.

Edited by pioneer42
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

West TN has allowed a lot of contact this year for sure. They won’t give them that contact in Murfreesboro. I talked to some officials while doing our Thanksgiving Tournament and they said if you call games in the state they are instructed to call a foul if it is a foul, no matter how big or small. Loretto and Gibson County both had intentional fouls called on them in the championship game last year. Different world up there.

So different at state! 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, sportslover88 said:

The argument could actually be made to the contrary. It almost makes more sense to host the game at a school not involved in the tournament, as it eliminates home court advantage. I like that we've seen some districts move to colleges to make it neutral site.

With how much preparation goes into hosting a region tournament, it doesn't make sense to move it last minute either. Have to get people to work the gate, concessions, cleaning, hospitality room, etc.

I don't mind the way it is currently done as long as the facilities are equipped to handle the crowd. I do wish there were more neutral site gyms available in the area to house the region tournaments especially. I'm not a big fan of a potentially lower seeded team getting home court throughout district and/or region, just by luck of the draw. 

On 2/25/2020 at 7:28 AM, HawkGuy06 said:

Why? Are you referring to the loss to South Gibson? It’s just hear say, but I did hear that they(Crockett) lost on purpose to avoid Westview. If they lose it should get interesting down in Alamo! 

Your hearsay is misinformed. Crockett was definitely trying to beat SGC, just didn't have a good night. SGC played one of their best games of the season and style of offense was completely different from what they've done most of the year. I think they caught Crockett off-guard, but Crockett wasn't losing that game on purpose.

20 minutes ago, SportsWestTN said:

Your hearsay is misinformed. Crockett was definitely trying to beat SGC, just didn't have a good night. SGC played one of their best games of the season and style of offense was completely different from what they've done most of the year. I think they caught Crockett off-guard, but Crockett wasn't losing that game on purpose.

Oh ok that’s great to hear! We’ll see y’all this Friday! 

On 2/24/2020 at 9:59 PM, sportslover88 said:

Westview vs Scotts Hill

Dyersburg vs Chester Co

South Gibson vs South Side

Crockett Co vs McNairy Central

Who you got in each of them?

I think the higher seeds will sweep. I don't see any of the lower seeds being able to matchup with the talent of the higher seeds. Anything can happen, but I certainly wouldn't count on an upset.