Region 7AA

sportslover88

1 hour ago, sportslover88 said:

1. He doesn’t have much of a bench. Only subs two girls in so if they played run and gun then girls would get tired.

2. He doesn’t like to run up the score. Let’s be honest...if they would have pressed the whole game then they would have won by 40+. They pressed 3rd quarter and out scored them like 23-0. 

3. He does it and it works for his team so why change it up?!

I'd have to agree with you on your points. If Haskins would've pressed out of the gate, it'd been a running clock. I thought he might have been trying to save his team's legs for the next matchup and of the WV games I've watched this year, usually the press begins in the 1st quarter not the 2nd half. I can respect the fact that WV could've put a running clock on SH, but didn't.  I don't think SH actually scored a basket in the 3rd quarter. I've never seen a coach in tournament play call that many time outs in a such a short period of time either as SH's did last night. Good luck against SS. It should be a good game.  

5 hours ago, sportslover88 said:

1. He doesn’t have much of a bench. Only subs two girls in so if they played run and gun then girls would get tired.

2. He doesn’t like to run up the score. Let’s be honest...if they would have pressed the whole game then they would have won by 40+. They pressed 3rd quarter and out scored them like 23-0. 

3. He does it and it works for his team so why change it up?!

I agree with #1 and #3, but I disagree with #2. I've seen him run the score up on bad teams when honestly think he could have played his JV the whole game and won. But his system works for him. 

5 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

He has been successful no doubt. Just think with an athletic PG like they got and Callins and Yancy they would want to play faster and get them into space. Now I can understand playing slower with the posts he had the last four or five years. Just wondering. 

My thoughts too. 3 pretty good guards who seem better in space and transition. Without those monster post players from past I thought they'd play faster this year.

6 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

He has been successful no doubt. Just think with an athletic PG like they got and Callins and Yancy they would want to play faster and get them into space. Now I can understand playing slower with the posts he had the last four or five years. Just wondering. 

Callins got into foul trouble early last night and didn’t play like half the first quarter or hardly any of the second.

1 hour ago, RealisticFan45 said:

My thoughts too. 3 pretty good guards who seem better in space and transition. Without those monster post players from past I thought they'd play faster this year.

I really think it has a lot to do with not having much of a bench. Yancey and A Leyhue played the whole game without coming out. Callins and Harrison probably would have too had they not gotten into foul trouble

Haskins is a good coach. He played a "traditional" style of half court basketball in the first half, and the pick and roll will give people problems... when we switched underneath, the pick rolled out for the three ball, and it didn't drop, but when we followed, the roll to the basket got easy shots, or another pass for the layup... might just come in handy later in the tournament.

Their press is good, but not as intense as South Side's. What I could tell from their pressure, was that they probably are quick and athletic enough to break SS's press, and attack the basket with numbers. Before y'all get too hard on Haskins, he knew he didn't have to throw all his cards on the table to win, and I'm pretty proud of our young ladies to have played well enough to even see the press in the second half. We lose only one senior, and should step up a notch or two (again) from last season... 2018-2019 we struggled to get a win in district.

1 hour ago, tradertwo said:

Haskins is a good coach. He played a "traditional" style of half court basketball in the first half, and the pick and roll will give people problems... when we switched underneath, the pick rolled out for the three ball, and it didn't drop, but when we followed, the roll to the basket got easy shots, or another pass for the layup... might just come in handy later in the tournament.

Their press is good, but not as intense as South Side's. What I could tell from their pressure, was that they probably are quick and athletic enough to break SS's press, and attack the basket with numbers. Before y'all get too hard on Haskins, he knew he didn't have to throw all his cards on the table to win, and I'm pretty proud of our young ladies to have played well enough to even see the press in the second half. We lose only one senior, and should step up a notch or two (again) from last season... 2018-2019 we struggled to get a win in district.

Agreed, I think Haskins knew he didn't have to go all out on last night's game, which some people are upset by that I guess. I was impressed with Scotts Hill's girls basketball program this year.

On 2/27/2020 at 5:51 AM, Croppygenius said:

I watch a bunch of games. Theirs so many good teams north of I-40 that keep me busy. I like to see all the good teams every season but theirs so many its impossible to do.

Agreed, the athletics in West Tennessee are better if you're north of I-40 than it is south of I-40. Basketball for sure, and you can add football to that as well.