TSSAA ED says fate of high school football unknown as of now

hardtackle

22 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

I disagree kids will be sent home in a couple of weeks to do homeschool. Don’t believe that at all. 

Where did any of us say that? Many school systems in East TN are implementing an either/or plan. So either you will go to school in-person or you will attend remotely. Parents' choice. I have yet to see any school system plan an online only with no alternative. Unless I missed something.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, guthook said:

You do realize that just because kids aren't dying doesn't mean they won't be transferring the virus to adults right?  

Not sure why people keep ignoring that, but you're right. Based on current data, this has never been about the kids themselves. It's about the adults (parents, guardians, staff, etc) who those kids come in contact with.

As the husband of a former teacher, schools are a giant petri dish.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Let me give you some real stats from right here in rural West Tn... we in Henderson Co. are offering the online option. As we near the deadline for registering, 6% of students have done so. In the eyes of some, that 6% will be safer than the 94% who will attend school in person. The flip side for those 6%, is that since April 1'st, domestic violence cases (adult) are up over 28% due to sustained close contact at home. Sherriff Duke released a statement presented to HCBOE last night stating that he expects child abuse cases to jump at a higher percentage than the domestic has as soon as schools reconvene because teachers report child abuse at a substantially higher rate than anyone else. Our poverty level and ratio of students receiving free/reduced lunches both exceed 50%, and our local churches backpack program (food sent home with deprived students) runs through the school. For those of you who think that suspension of athletics will prevent close proximities of students, just go to Wal-Mart around eight or nine on any evening and there will be between a dozen and fifty students gathered there, and I'm sure they gather elsewhere as well. Most of the schools in HC also have a "supply store" in coordination with local churches and charity organizations... the three in my district have enough clothing and supplies to outfit well over half our students, and they're free to be passed out to those in need as the teachers and administration see fit. Schools are essential for more than an education.

Edited by tradertwo
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, tradertwo said:

Let me give you some real stats from right here in rural West Tn... we in Henderson Co. are offering the online option. As we near the deadline for registering, 6% of students have done so. In the eyes of some, that 6% will be safer than the 94% who will attend school in person. The flip side for those 6%, is that since April 1'st, domestic violence cases (adult) are up over 28% due to sustained close contact at home. Sherriff Duke released a statement presented to HCBOE last night stating that he expects child abuse cases to jump at a higher percentage than the domestic has as soon as schools reconvene because teachers report child abuse at a substantially higher rate than anyone else. Our poverty level and ratio of students receiving free/reduced lunches both exceed 50%, and our local churches backpack program (food sent home with depraved students) runs through the school. For those of you who think that suspension of athletics will prevent close proximities of students, just go to Wal-Mart around eight or nine on any evening and there will be between a dozen and fifty students gathered there, and I'm sure they gather elsewhere as well. Most of the schools in HC also have a "supply store" in coordination with local churches and charity organizations... the three in my district have enough clothing and supplies to outfit well over half our students, and they're free to be passed out to those in need as the teachers and administration see fit. Schools are essential for more than an education.

Your Walmart stays open till 9? I feel cheated. One more thing. Groups of kids in your town hang out there?

Just now, Sidelinehustler said:

Your Walmart stays open till 9? I feel cheated. One more thing. Groups of kids in your town hang out there?

Biggest open area in town for them to gather, open or not. Point is that kids will be in close contact with each other no matter what the schools do.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, tradertwo said:

Let me give you some real stats from right here in rural West Tn... we in Henderson Co. are offering the online option. As we near the deadline for registering, 6% of students have done so. In the eyes of some, that 6% will be safer than the 94% who will attend school in person. The flip side for those 6%, is that since April 1'st, domestic violence cases (adult) are up over 28% due to sustained close contact at home. Sherriff Duke released a statement presented to HCBOE last night stating that he expects child abuse cases to jump at a higher percentage than the domestic has as soon as schools reconvene because teachers report child abuse at a substantially higher rate than anyone else. Our poverty level and ratio of students receiving free/reduced lunches both exceed 50%, and our local churches backpack program (food sent home with deprived students) runs through the school. For those of you who think that suspension of athletics will prevent close proximities of students, just go to Wal-Mart around eight or nine on any evening and there will be between a dozen and fifty students gathered there, and I'm sure they gather elsewhere as well. Most of the schools in HC also have a "supply store" in coordination with local churches and charity organizations... the three in my district have enough clothing and supplies to outfit well over half our students, and they're free to be passed out to those in need as the teachers and administration see fit. Schools are essential for more than an education.

Here's the thing.  We don't know the cause of the uptick in domestic violence.  Just as we don't know the cause of the uptick in shootings (see below).  It could be sustained home time.  It could be increased poverty.  It could be increased illness and death.  It could be the stress from all three.  Your sheriff has no idea the root cause.  He's speculating.  But if the illnesses and deaths increase, the poverty will increase as well.  The violence may also increase.  We simply don't know.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/america-spike-gun-violence/2020/07/06/15508ac8-bfa0-11ea-9fdd-b7ac6b051dc8_story.html

1 hour ago, pioneer42 said:

I disagree kids will be sent home in a couple of weeks to do homeschool. Don’t believe that at all. 

There are 100+ school systems in the state. I wouldn't pretend to know what all of them will be doing in a couple weeks. I also wouldn't assume that anybody is talking about every school system in the state in any of these topics.

As of right now you have schools that are completely open, schools that are going 2 days a week, schools that are going 3 days a week, schools that have pushed start dates back until after Labor Day and schools are going online only to start the year.

1 hour ago, guthook said:

Here's the thing.  We don't know the cause of the uptick in domestic violence.  Just as we don't know the cause of the uptick in shootings (see below).  It could be sustained home time.  It could be increased poverty.  It could be increased illness and death.  It could be the stress from all three.  Your sheriff has no idea the root cause.  He's speculating.  But if the illnesses and deaths increase, the poverty will increase as well.  The violence may also increase.  We simply don't know.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/america-spike-gun-violence/2020/07/06/15508ac8-bfa0-11ea-9fdd-b7ac6b051dc8_story.html

No, here's the thing... you are arguing a moot point. The Sheriff isn't at all speculating about the cause, he's predicting the result of kids spending more time exposed to what you readily admit is happening. You can nitpick my post apart sentence by sentence and post all the unrelated news articles you like, but it does not change the fact that kids (in general) are safer, better nourished, and more constantly supervised than (some of) those at home... they are also monitored for signs of abuse that would/will go unreported otherwise, and the Sheriff has facts to back this up from DHS.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tradertwo said:

No, here's the thing... you are arguing a moot point. The Sheriff isn't at all speculating about the cause, he's predicting the result of kids spending more time exposed to what you readily admit is happening. You can nitpick my post apart sentence by sentence and post all the unrelated news articles you like, but it does not change the fact that kids (in general) are safer, better nourished, and more constantly supervised than (some of) those at home... they are also monitored for signs of abuse that would/will go unreported otherwise, and the Sheriff has facts to back this up from DHS.

What a sad description of our society today. Some kids are better off with teachers than their own parents. All you have to do is stroll through Walmart to know this is completely accurate. 

• Like 1

• CoachT locked this topic