TSSAA ED says fate of high school football unknown as of now

hardtackle

3 minutes ago, guthook said:

Limbaugh and Musk.  I actually think the president has to dispute the numbers to have a chance at reelection.  I think he has to attempt to  invalidate 137000+ deaths to have a chance.  Im almost certain he will.  But he'll do it to try to get that 2nd term.  He responded to the SCOTUS rulings within minutes, and you think that he's waited 5 months to question that validity of case counts and deaths?  At least we know he has your vote.

No need to invalidate any deaths in this country. We have 7,500 or so deaths a day in this country. Every life matters...and, no, I'm not a racist for saying that.

2 minutes ago, sportsguy22 said:

High school kids live at home away from their teammates first off. College kids are basically in a bubble with their teammates. High school teams travel on the same day to games while colleges typically leave the day before games and stay in hotels. The travel is much less risky, if that's even a concern. Finally, kids between 15 and 18 are in a category that is not even worth mentioning as it relates to this virus. They are either asymptomatic or show very few symptoms. They will be fine. The flu is much worse for high school kids. There is zero need to test an entire athletic program in a high school.

What's the difference between a 17-year old and a 20-year old in the eyes of COVID? This isn't about the kids. It's about the parents, guardians, staff, etc who are exposed by those kids.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, sportsguy22 said:

High school kids live at home away from their teammates first off. College kids are basically in a bubble with their teammates. High school teams travel on the same day to games while colleges typically leave the day before games and stay in hotels. The travel is much less risky, if that's even a concern. Finally, kids between 15 and 18 are in a category that is not even worth mentioning as it relates to this virus. They are either asymptomatic or show very few symptoms. They will be fine. The flu is much worse for high school kids. There is zero need to test an entire athletic program in a high school.

Got it.  But I think the main concern if for transmission to families and coaches etc.  Not for the athletes themselves.

8 minutes ago, guthook said:

Limbaugh and Musk.  I actually think the president has to dispute the numbers to have a chance at reelection.  I think he has to attempt to  invalidate 137000+ deaths to have a chance.  Im almost certain he will.  But he'll do it to try to get that 2nd term.  He responded to the SCOTUS rulings within minutes, and you think that he's waited 5 months to question that validity of case counts and deaths?  At least we know he has your vote.

So the answer was you are just deflecting and trying to continually bring the President into a debate about TN high school football.

Edited by Salem

10 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

What's the difference between a 17-year old and a 20-year old in the eyes of COVID? This isn't about the kids. It's about the parents, guardians, staff, etc who are exposed by those kids.

I'm with you. There is no difference in those age groups whatsoever. I think the colleges/conferences/athletic programs have overreacted in a big way! The snowball is rolling downhill now, just like back in March...so who knows what the end result will be at this point?! As for the family members and coaches and staff who may be at risk, they may have to take specific precautions to be sure. That is their choice individually to do so, but we should not shut down athletics just because of them, which is still a small percentage of society in general. It was a mistake back in March (but we didn't know too much early on so it was more understandable) but it would be a huge mistake now after everything we have learned.

Edited by sportsguy22

6 minutes ago, Salem said:

So the answer was you are just deflecting and trying to continually bring the President into a debate about TN high school football.

No.  I think he hasn't questioned the numbers because they're 100% accurate.  I just think he will.

4 minutes ago, guthook said:

No.  I think he hasn't questioned the numbers because they're 100% accurate.  I just think he will.

100%???!!! Almost no stats are 100%. There is way too much wiggle room on so many of these numbers to be 100%, and a lot of backtracking and changing things after the fact too, especially in an election year! I'm not saying there is a massive conspiracy, but we have to dig down and get the honest facts one way or the other for future reference. It just may not all happen any time soon though. 

1 minute ago, sportsguy22 said:

100%???!!! Almost no stats are 100%. There is way too much wiggle room on so many of these numbers to be 100%, and a lot of backtracking and changing things after the fact too, especially in an election year! I'm not saying there is a massive conspiracy, but we have to dig down and get the honest facts one way or the other for future reference. It just may not all happen any time soon though. 

You're right.  It's believed by most health experts that the deaths and cases are under-reported.

1 minute ago, guthook said:

You're right.  It's believed by most health experts that the deaths and cases are under-reported.

I've seen the exact opposite. Many experts think cases are way over-reported and many of the deaths that are attributed to the virus are not necessarily a result of the virus, but are from many other health problems.

11 minutes ago, Salem said:

You've raised the point several times that the numbers have to be correct because the President hasn't publicly questioned them. Is this an actual belief or just something you keep typing to deflect?

Last Friday the FDA sent out a memo that the tests from one of the major testing companies have at least a 3% false positive rate. Elon Musk has said it's up to 50% inaccurate and Limbaugh has spent much of today's show disputing the data. So the tweet you keep longing for may be coming soon. 

I've been reading about this as well, Salem. That also includes the false negative rate that is equally concerning. There are two sides of that coin, and it has been widely reported, especially in the first couple of months of our COVID response.

7 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

I've been reading about this as well, Salem. That also includes the false negative rate that is equally concerning. There are two sides of that coin, and it has been widely reported, especially in the first couple of months of our COVID response.

The new tests didn't go through traditional FDA testing and approval because the tests we had on hand were tainted by the CDC. The new tests weren't tested. They were rushed through and made available because the experts said testing was the answer. They may be a lot of things but they are far from 100% accurate. :roflol:

• CoachT locked this topic