Who wins AA in 2020-21, and why?

tssaafan

5 hours ago, SportsWestTN said:

Did pretty well with my predictions for first round. I stand by my predictions for the Semifinals. I think Chester Co. can hang around with Westview and at least keep it respectable. South Gibson looked as good defensively and effort as I've seen all season, but I think we'll see a different team tonight. Physically/athletically, I think South Gibson isn't as outmatched as some would think (not saying they are good enough to win, but good enough to play a decent game with them), but mentally they'll be defeated before they walk in the gym. South Side has beaten them real bad the last two times they've played and I don't think they believe they can compete with them. I think it gets out of hand, and gets out of hand early. 

So you think that physically and athletically South Gibson matches?

27 minutes ago, BallIsLife1 said:

Not SportswestTN but I watched the Thanksgiving game between the two and South Gibson just has major problems with presses and traps and never could even get any kind of rhythm offensively the first meeting and it was a blowout win for South Side. South Gibson is a pretty good press team themselves and has athletes to do it but for whatever reason they rarely press so I would bet they don’t practice it much. Even if it does get into a half court game and handles pressure South Side has two big post and South Gibson is lacking there. Not a good matchup for South Gibson all the way around. IMO South Gibson would be a much better team if it played South Side’s style more because they have some athletic girls that could do well in transition. South Gibson has had a good year and improved this year, but South Side is a powerhouse. 

Edited by pioneer42

1 minute ago, pioneer42 said:

Not SportswestTN but I watched the Thanksgiving game between the two and South Gibson just has major problems with presses and traps and never could even get any kind of rhythm offensively the first meeting and it was a blowout win for South Side. South Gibson is a pretty good press team themselves and has athletes to do it but for whatever reason they rarely press so I would bet they don’t practice it much. Even if it does get into a half court game and handles pressure South Side has two big post and South Gibson is lacking there. Not a good matchup for South Gibson all the way around. IMO South Gibson would be a much better team if it played South Side’s style more because they have some athletic girls that could do well in transition. 

Gotcha.

I remember them from a couple years back and they seemed really slow, at least compared to South Side's team then. I was just wondering about that assessment. Somebody keep us updated. I want to try to make the Region Championship game no matter who is in it. I want to see Jada Harrison.

1 minute ago, BallIsLife1 said:

Gotcha.

I remember them from a couple years back and they seemed really slow, at least compared to South Side's team then. I was just wondering about that assessment. Somebody keep us updated. I want to try to make the Region Championship game no matter who is in it. I want to see Jada Harrison.

Hopefully all these scores will be updated on here as tonight is Big Monday!! Lots of answers tonight!!

16 minutes ago, BallIsLife1 said:

Gotcha.

She is nice! I like her game 

21 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

Not SportswestTN but I watched the Thanksgiving game between the two and South Gibson just has major problems with presses and traps and never could even get any kind of rhythm offensively the first meeting and it was a blowout win for South Side. South Gibson is a pretty good press team themselves and has athletes to do it but for whatever reason they rarely press so I would bet they don’t practice it much. Even if it does get into a half court game and handles pressure South Side has two big post and South Gibson is lacking there. Not a good matchup for South Gibson all the way around. IMO South Gibson would be a much better team if it played South Side’s style more because they have some athletic girls that could do well in transition. South Gibson has had a good year and improved this year, but South Side is a powerhouse. 

Dyersburg double & triple teamed SCJ all night. Job halfway done lol we had our sophomore score 11 pt & 10 rebounds. We had like 8 players with 6-8 points 

6 minutes ago, HawkGuy06 said:

Dyersburg double & triple teamed SCJ all night. Job halfway done lol we had our sophomore score 11 pt & 10 rebounds. We had like 8 players with 6-8 points 

Both South Side and Westview will have more competition in substate than in Region, IMO. I hate this snow messed us up. Man I would love to see South Side and Westview and McKenzie and Loretto. We all play on same nights. 

1 hour ago, BallIsLife1 said:

They have enough athleticism to not get run out of the gym, if they play to their potential. A lot of the younger group they have (freshman & sophomores) are very athletic. Not saying they are as athletic as South Side, but they are athletic enough to hold their own. Physically, I'm not sure how well they match up. The length SG has (couple of near six-footers) are very lanky. They don't have a true post player. Bone, Freed signee, has to play center when she is really a sharp shooting wing. Spencer is best physically imposing presence down low, but she is undersized for a post and plays more on the perimeter. 

Their offense style though doesn't take advantage of their speed. They take a long time to do things in the half court. They look for open threes or wait for one of their few drivers to go to the basket. Against SH they were able to get some good lobs on cuts to the basket, but they haven't utilized that much this year. If I were coaching against them, I'd be more likely to force them to convert in the half court. Unless they are just nailing threes, they flounder in the half court.

42 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

SG has the athletes and enough ball handlers to press break, IF they have the right kids in. There are a few they'll keep in that don't make good decisions with the ball and don't dribble. Gibson Co. spanked them over Christmas, because they just crumbled against their press (which befuddles me because GC's press isn't even that intense). I'm assuming at Thanksgiving against SS something similar happened. They've played other teams this season (Westview, Dyer Co., etc.) and been able to handle the press and actually get easy buckets against it (why Westview had to move to 2-3 zone).

Like I said in an earlier post, mentally will be the issue you see from SG tonight. I think they'll be rattled and defeated before the game starts. If they can get past the mental side of things, I think they could keep it respectable. Lose, but not get run out the gym. 

26 minutes ago, SportsWestTN said:

They have enough athleticism to not get run out of the gym, if they play to their potential. A lot of the younger group they have (freshman & sophomores) are very athletic. Not saying they are as athletic as South Side, but they are athletic enough to hold their own. Physically, I'm not sure how well they match up. The length SG has (couple of near six-footers) are very lanky. They don't have a true post player. Bone, Freed signee, has to play center when she is really a sharp shooting wing. Spencer is best physically imposing presence down low, but she is undersized for a post and plays more on the perimeter. 

Their offense style though doesn't take advantage of their speed. They take a long time to do things in the half court. They look for open threes or wait for one of their few drivers to go to the basket. Against SH they were able to get some good lobs on cuts to the basket, but they haven't utilized that much this year. If I were coaching against them, I'd be more likely to force them to convert in the half court. Unless they are just nailing threes, they flounder in the half court.

SG has the athletes and enough ball handlers to press break, IF they have the right kids in. There are a few they'll keep in that don't make good decisions with the ball and don't dribble. Gibson Co. spanked them over Christmas, because they just crumbled against their press (which befuddles me because GC's press isn't even that intense). I'm assuming at Thanksgiving against SS something similar happened. They've played other teams this season (Westview, Dyer Co., etc.) and been able to handle the press and actually get easy buckets against it (why Westview had to move to 2-3 zone).

Like I said in an earlier post, mentally will be the issue you see from SG tonight. I think they'll be rattled and defeated before the game starts. If they can get past the mental side of things, I think they could keep it respectable. Lose, but not get run out the gym. 

They come completely unraveled against GC this past Christmas. South Side this Thanksgiving was very similar. I agree that it is not hard at all for another team to get a mental edge on them. Do think they have accomplished about as much as they can accomplish this year. South Side and Westview are hard to handle on any night and are more talented than SG, IMO. Do think they need to change their approach and come out and start pressing and use their athleticism. These girls work hard in the off season with Jeremy Vonner, who is a great guy and has done a lot for basketball in West TN. They need to work on getting mentally tough and handle adversity better.