Week 2 D-B @ Oak Ridge

TribalEmpire

We all know db has a very good team this year but lets not wake up the beast in murvil let them stay down at 825. As of right now db isn't ready for the ville, if anybody was at or listen to the db game last night that really felt like a 56-0 drumming but mistakes after mistakes limit it to 35-0. Db held tn high to 45 total yards and that's shutting down two d1 athletes, that's unreal. Now them two athletes are almost good as it gets but murvil don't come with 2 athletes they bring the whole army. Db needs to polish some things an take it 1 game at a time and come midseason I like their chances against anybody 

2 hours ago, SweetScience said:

Well, just because he said that doesn’t mean it’s actually going to happen ha. Maryville and Alcoa have both done things in TN HS football that have never been done, nor will they probably ever be reproduced to the same level of degree. Not taking anything away from DB or their coach, I’m sure they’re both very good, but those are pretty lofty standards to live up to. It’s really easy to say “we’re gonna be like Maryville” or even compete with Maryville, but actually going out and doing it is a completely different story. 

I don't think he actually meant they were going to be like Maryville this year with this team. He was saying he wants DB to be like Maryville in the future. You don't do that in one or two years. It starts in the little leagues and grows from there. I think that was what he was saying. But he has DB on the right track.

5 minutes ago, WaCoJaCo said:

I don't think he actually meant they were going to be like Maryville this year with this team. He was saying he wants DB to be like Maryville in the future. You don't do that in one or two years. It starts in the little leagues and grows from there. I think that was what he was saying. But he has DB on the right track.

That makes sense. Thanks, WJ.

4 hours ago, WillieTheWildcats said:

Oak Ridge fans if you know how the tickets for this game are being handed out let SWVAHavokFan know or even better buy a ticket for him.

Just a thought.

RWR!

Can I push for a pizza from Big Ed's also?  Nah, better not push my luck.  Lol!

I got to see that magnificent basketball arena you guys have down there a couple of years ago when D-B girls came down for the sectional.  Would love to see that football stadium as well...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StarBright87 said:

We all know db has a very good team this year but lets not wake up the beast in murvil let them stay down at 825. As of right now db isn't ready for the ville, if anybody was at or listen to the db game last night that really felt like a 56-0 drumming but mistakes after mistakes limit it to 35-0. Db held tn high to 45 total yards and that's shutting down two d1 athletes, that's unreal. Now them two athletes are almost good as it gets but murvil don't come with 2 athletes they bring the whole army. Db needs to polish some things an take it 1 game at a time and come midseason I like their chances against anybody 

You have it right man... D-B definitely has room for improvement... some penalties last night and a couple of turnovers.  Have to clean that stuff up against the elites.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SWVAHavokFan said:

Which stadiums?  I assume you're talking about the Castle last night for one...

I for one think the tradition they have in Oak Ridge with state titles and a national championship,along with their team coming down the hill at Blankenship Field is an awesome place to watch a game. The Castle in Bristol is great  because of the Stone as well as the state titles and also a national championship for the TH program.The third place is DB's home stadium,J Fred Johnson. Not many high schools in Tennessee can hold as many people and the DB pregame is my favorite just ahead of Oak Ridge.I'd probably switch the two if my kids had went  to OR . There are a lot of places in  East Tennessee that have  awesome views of the mountains or great football traditions but these are my three favorites to watch a game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Reading back through the thread,I didn't hear the coach but would say this when comparing any program to Maryville. I would think he was meaning that is where he wants to take the DB program in the future.You don't get there with one good team.It's a building process that takes years of success.I think Betsy used the same process in being like the Greeneville program with their strength and conditioning along with coaching. Maryville is the Mount Everest of 6A Tennessee football since it was started  in 2009. We all know that if you  were the first 6A team in East Tennessee to get past Maryville, there are always several more who will give very different match-up problems.Even the Red Rebels have had some off years against those opponents.It would be awesome to have a 6A team in NET that was the biggest hurdle for Maryville to even make the semi finals.To be honest,I don't remember the last time they didn't make atleast the final four In 6A or 4A.I would say the  late 90's,give or take.Even if they missed one or two in that time, think about just how successful that is.What percentage of programs in the nation have a run like that ? I'd take beating them one time as pretty darn good. 

22 minutes ago, BatmanLives said:

Reading back through the thread,I didn't hear the coach but would say this when comparing any program to Maryville. I would think he was meaning that is where he wants to take the DB program in the future.You don't get there with one good team.It's a building process that takes years of success.I think Betsy used the same process in being like the Greeneville program with their strength and conditioning along with coaching. Maryville is the Mount Everest of 6A Tennessee football since it was started  in 2009. We all know that if you  were the first 6A team in East Tennessee to get past Maryville, there are always several more who will give very different match-up problems.Even the Red Rebels have had some off years against those opponents.It would be awesome to have a 6A team in NET that was the biggest hurdle for Maryville to even make the semi finals.To be honest,I don't remember the last time they didn't make atleast the final four In 6A or 4A.I would say the  late 90's,give or take.Even if they missed one or two in that time, think about just how successful that is.What percentage of programs in the nation have a run like that ? I'd take beating them one time as pretty darn good. 

Anybody that can beat Maryville deserves a holiday named after them.

32 minutes ago, WaCoJaCo said:

Anybody that can beat Maryville deserves a holiday named after them.

Just done a quick look back and there wouldn't be a great number of new holidays if you started with the 2000 season. If I'm correct,1999 was the last year Maryville didn't make the semi's.Since then , they have  won it all 13  out of the 17  years they played in the finals. It would indeed be great to have a local school do that well. Since 1969, In NET ( I'm using Batman's map to make it better then the JC press would say ) from Morristown on up to Johnson county,there have been four schools with a grand total of 9 finals combined. The good news is when they get there, NET teams do very well.

Central and Mo-West used to give Murvil fits in the old 4A format. There were some classic games amongst them. WaCO, Batman-What would you say DB’s weaknesses are? I can pretty much guess what WJ is gonna say is their weakness because he has been saying it for quite a while now.

Edited by SweetScience