Week 2 D-B @ Oak Ridge

TribalEmpire

On 8/22/2020 at 11:57 AM, Cactus Jack said:

We may be up against the best DB team in recent memory.  Third year of Coach Christian and he means business, making them a better defensive team and taking advantage of size.  He said after they lost to Maryville last year in the playoffs that they were going to be "like Maryville"  I think this will be Oak Ridge's toughest test of the season.  HVA wasn't very good and as the game wore on they wore down. DB will be much harder to run and throw on. We got our hands full this Friday.  I hope it doesn't rain, I'm over that already....

I think West will be the toughest test of the season, but I agree with most everything else you just said. I think we will find out more about this OR team this Friday, than we did last Friday. One thing is for sure though, this OR team is MUCH better than last year's team.

Edited by bonkers

6 hours ago, SweetScience said:

Central and Mo-West used to give Murvil fits in the old 4A format. There were some classic games amongst them. WaCO, Batman-What would you say DB’s weaknesses are? I can pretty much guess what WJ is gonna say is their weakness because he has been saying it for quite a while now.

I can't say at this point  what the weakness is. They were saying it would be the kicking game. The kicker hit all his extra points, never had to try a field goal, he couldn't get one in the end zone on kickoffs but the coverage was so good on one line drive kick they actually tackled the returner on the 5 yrd. line. The secondary completly shut down Tn. Highs receivers. And they have two that are pretty darn good. One is a D1 shoo-in. He ended up with one catch for about 4 yrds.  Still I'm not going to brag on them until after the Oak Ridge game. But it might be the kicking game. Oak Ridge will probably get some chances to get some good returns.

50 minutes ago, WaCoJaCo said:

I can't say at this point  what the weakness is. They were saying it would be the kicking game. The kicker hit all his extra points, never had to try a field goal, he couldn't get one in the end zone on kickoffs but the coverage was so good on one line drive kick they actually tackled the returner on the 5 yrd. line. The secondary completly shut down Tn. Highs receivers. And they have two that are pretty darn good. One is a D1 shoo-in. He ended up with one catch for about 4 yrds.  Still I'm not going to brag on them until after the Oak Ridge game. But it might be the kicking game. Oak Ridge will probably get some chances to get some good returns.

Ahh, I figured you would say the secondary, but looks like they’ve improved a lot. We have a really deep WR Corp, so that should be a good matchup. Just hope we can protect our QB long enough to see. How big are y’all on the lines? DB usually has a big ole OL, and I expect nothing different this year.

Oh No I don't know if our skinny little ole boys will be able to get out of this one! Them big ole Indians sound awfully big and mean. Sorry Stars couldn't resist. Just hope we have a good game and no-one gets hurt. My family is from the the tri-cities area but that was back when the Dead Sea was just sick. I come up there to visit and talk with dead relatives during Bristol race week. Even go to Cootie Browns!

WILDCAT PRIDE

ROLL WILDCATS ROLL

If this game was late in yr it would be an all time classic.I dont think we are ready for a team this good and big.DB was really good last yr and from what Ive been told they are even better this yr.Oak Ridge has a lot of talent but it seems like everybody on d is playing a new position and still need 2 or 3 games to get comfortable and play fast.Gonna be a real test for the guys upfront and I hate Oak Ridge is having to play some guys both ways in those spots.On offense Oak Ridge has to start putting drives together and not live off big play. No matter what happens I think the game is great for Oak Ridge and helps us get better.

I ran into into a couple DBs players in the spring , QB being one of them . They were thrilled about this team and basically said they have the athletes and size to play/ beat anyone and wasn't worried about replacments/positions  of any one player (4) that graduated 

He said the coaches have them believing and they love this staff 

I also talked with a 9th grader camping this weekend  ... A big baseball player but after talking with football staff , he is all in for football and says he loves Christian and position coach - before the talk he was baseball only 

This will be a good game.  I was at last years game and told my son that OR was a much better team than they played that night.  OR had athletes all over the field.  As I was leaving the stadium last year several of the OR players were walking to the bus and I told them to keep their head up because they were going to get better and they needed to learn from their mistakes and move on.  It appears the coach and players did just that from what the balance of last season suggest and the HV game this season.  If DB has a weakness it would be over looking a really good OR football team.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, JustAnotherFootballFan said:

This will be a good game.  I was at last years game and told my son that OR was a much better team than they played that night.  OR had athletes all over the field.  As I was leaving the stadium last year several of the OR players were walking to the bus and I told them to keep their head up because they were going to get better and they needed to learn from their mistakes and move on.  It appears the coach and players did just that from what the balance of last season suggest and the HV game this season.  If DB has a weakness it would be over looking a really good OR football team.

I've talked to a lot of DB fans over the years that were very confident about how good the team was but very few would ever overlook a playoff opponent this day and time .  During the season against a weak team, maybe, but not a good OR team. The great thing is none of them have to play on Fridays and it's up to the coaches not to let the team get to over confident.No way DB overlooks OR this week.

19 hours ago, SweetScience said:

Central and Mo-West used to give Murvil fits in the old 4A format. There were some classic games amongst them. WaCO, Batman-What would you say DB’s weaknesses are? I can pretty much guess what WJ is gonna say is their weakness because he has been saying it for quite a while now.