Week 2 D-B @ Oak Ridge

TribalEmpire

7 minutes ago, SweetScience said:

One of the things I was impressed with last night was #38 speed. I know I’m not the only one who saw him run DBs RB down from behind with ease. Man, that guy just came out of nowhere. I know Joe was saying how fast he was on the show the other night, but I didn’t realize it till last night. That guy is blazing fast.

Your right and thats why I loved him at OLB last yr.He was as good or better than most of our DBs in coverage last yr.Him and Kelly are playing great but I wish we could play them both outside.Im am really impressed with the defense considering how many guys are playing new positions.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, STILLNUM1 said:

Your right and thats why I loved him at OLB last yr.He was as good or better than most of our DBs in coverage last yr.Him and Kelly are playing great but I wish we could play them both outside.Im am really impressed with the defense considering how many guys are playing new positions.

I’m impressed too, especially considering Kelly is just a Sophomore. Seems like him and #38 have been on just about every tackle in both games. I’m hearing their names called a lot.

Edited by SweetScience
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, SWVAHavokFan said:

My thoughts on the game. Oak Ridge is a stout stout team. I think they can make some noise in 5A by the end of the season. Their defense is better than average. Not sure what class the QB is in but my gut feeling is he's young. His accuracy left a lot to be desired. Lots of receivers open for the Wildcats all night long and the QB just couldn't hit em. That kid will get better as the season goes along though. 

As always, the folks at Oak Ridge were super friendly and enjoyed the trip down. Good luck to you and Wildcat nation moving forward. As for the Tribe, now we have the unknown in Bearden who has yet to take the field in 2020. I don't like that being first region game and all. Lol

I dont think the QB played great by no means but its kinda hard to be accurate when 3 to 5 DB players are in your face before he could look up.I think the WRs played awful last night.But I said all week DB is really really good this yr and I hope it just helps Oak Ridge get better.I think DB has found a great coaching staff that teaches all the things that really matter.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ORcats said:

Couple of caught passes would have made all the difference. But overall our offense wasn't doing great...but DB defense is really good, so there's that.  I'm a big fan of using TE for short passes (my son played that position years ago), and OR never uses that.  I felt like tonight it might have helped since long passes weren't working and neither was the run, for the most part.  DB just has a lot of big ole boys.  We should do a lot better next week.

I meant to add that I thought the DL did better as the game went on.

I was under the impression that DB Dline was more quick than big, but maybe it was just me. Their d linemen are very quick and aggressive. At times it just seemed like they were just running right by our linemen. They were impressive, to say the least.

Edited by SweetScience
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, SweetScience said:

I was under the impression that DB Dline was more quick than big, but maybe it was just me. Their d linemen are very quick and aggressive. At times it just seemed like they were just running right by our linemen. They were impressive, to say the least.

You're probably right.  I was sitting very far away, and since I had heard how big they are, I just assumed that was why they were so good.  Plus some of the players told me that.  They probably looked a lot bigger up close and personal lol!

I also was hearing that some of the WR were not running the right routes.  Hopefully that will get straightened out this week.  It actually could have been a close game.  

Hoping it doesn't rain next Friday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, kingindian33 said:

325 - 130  total yards , DB with 90 in penalties (gotta clean those up ) 

DB is still without one of their best (Armitage )- sounds like he will be back next week 

Lol! "DB with 90 in penalties (gotta clean those up)"  We've all been saying that for 20 years now. Ain't never gonna' happen. No discipline is their motto. 

• Upvote 1

No doubt that penalties have to be addressed . I've seen it preached to the kids for years.I remember one young man many years ago either on the 9th grade or JV team.He jumped two if not three plays in a row on the defensive line..So the coach took him out but let him go in at either guard or tackle on the next offensive series.Yep,he had a false start on the first play.

6 hours ago, STILLNUM1 said:

I dont think the QB played great by no means but its kinda hard to be accurate when 3 to 5 DB players are in your face before he could look up.I think the WRs played awful last night.But I said all week DB is really really good this yr and I hope it just helps Oak Ridge get better.I think DB has found a great coaching staff that teaches all the things that really matter.

Yes the coaching staff has been found ....That is until this New school opens (North Ridge Wolves ) south , north , central high schools ... I'd say possibly 2 could go on DBs current staff 

1 hour ago, BatmanDB said:

No doubt that penalties have to be addressed . I've seen it preached to the kids for years.I remember one young man many years ago either on the 9th grade or JV team.He jumped two if not three plays in a row on the defensive line..So the coach took him out but let him go in at either guard or tackle on the next offensive series.Yep,he had a false start on the first play.

No excuses , it's something that has haunted DB for years (Penalties) ... But they overcame and the D stepped up yet again !

The only excuse I could use is riding 100 miles in a bus , with no AC , and the windows will not slide down on those busses - had to be awful ... These kids are used to AC compared to the olden days !

7 hours ago, SweetScience said:

We can credit that to a D1 player turned coach , that played on that great 2012 team ... He has done great work at DB 

7 hours ago, ORcats said:

You're probably right.  I was sitting very far away, and since I had heard how big they are, I just assumed that was why they were so good.  Plus some of the players told me that.  They probably looked a lot bigger up close and personal lol!

I also was hearing that some of the WR were not running the right routes.  Hopefully that will get straightened out this week.  It actually could have been a close game.  

Hoping it doesn't rain next Friday.

After sitting here and thinking about the game, the thing that bothers me the most is the fact we got inside the twenty and couldn't score a touchdown. Come on man we're better than that!

8 minutes ago, bounder said:

After sitting here and thinking about the game, the thing that bothers me the most is the fact we got inside the twenty and couldn't score a touchdown. Come on man we're better than that!

Papa B, I hope we can improve a lot after that showing because that was just sad. As they say, you’re never as bad as your worst game, and never as good as your best. Can’t get much worse than that.

Edited by SweetScience
  • Like 1