Week 8 -- D-B at Farragut (Region 1-6A battle for first)

TribalEmpire

8 minutes ago, timcraw said:

Our secondary would be 10 times better if we would just turn our heads. Now Waco can answer outside the obvious but it blows my mind. we never turn our heads to the ball

I agree and think that's some of the problem. I ask waco, But I'm just curious on what folks think might be the problem or problems? Everyone doesn't look at the game the same. Past players and coaches look at it different and see stuff that people that didn't play don't. Just wanting to see different opinions and how would you correct or make them better?

2 hours ago, rollnoles said:

So when you play Maryville best thing don’t show up because you are saying Maryville already has won. 

Db is a better team than Bradley central and Fulton however a team like Bc and Fulton can give murvil more fits because of their speed, Fulton didn't score on the ville because they shot themselves in the foot leaving 14pts on the field but Fulton rb gash murvil defense.

Murvil is a bad matchup for Db, Db has no real burners, they have a huge offensive line and they ground you and pound you, murvil will just stack the box and dare Db qb to pass for 350. Even though Alcoa lost to murvil, Alcoa is still the better team but Alcoa plays right into Db hands they run 95% of the time and Db front 7 are monsters. Now I'm not that crazy to say Db will beat Alcoa, it's just Alcoa is a better matchup for the Indians.

But we all know how this is going to end we are all on this island and Oakland is the host and some of us paid extra for extended stay but eventually Oakland will get bored and kick us all off this island and they will be rewarded 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DBKPT93 said:

Even though there are things to work on, let’s be real. Going into this week everyone had a little bit of doubt in their head if the Tribe had what it took since we have only played a handful of bad teams and Farragut has been “battle tested”. As a fan it is a great feeling to put that doubt to rest when our offense scored 8 out 10 drives they had and the last drive was with the backups running the clock out. Yes our defensive backfield has some work to do, but did anyone notice that our best corner got hurt right before Farragut started slinging it around the field. It is absolutely no excuse to give up 35, but dang the Indians played a heck of a ball game and after the 1st quarter it never became closer than a 14 point game because we did get stops defensively when it was necessary. They could have felt sorry about themselves after halftime, but instead had 2 big stops to give our offense a chance to make it a 21 point game again. I know Waco loves to point out the negative, but there was a lot of positives from our kids last night. Time to get ready for Mo-West, and there shouldn’t be any talk about us playing anyone else because the next one is the only one that matters right now. 

End Rant.

No, I don't "love" to point out the negative. But somebody has to do it. I bet if I hadn't brought it up nobody would of ever mentioned it.  56 points is all anybody saw last night. But hey, it was suppose to be a close game with a lot of people on both sides thinking Farragut would win.  I just wish the secondary was better. It's been 20 plus years of this so it gets old. DB almost always has good athletes playing back there so it's not like their not capable. 

5 hours ago, DBturningitAROUND said:

I agree and think that's some of the problem. I ask waco, But I'm just curious on what folks think might be the problem or problems? Everyone doesn't look at the game the same. Past players and coaches look at it different and see stuff that people that didn't play don't. Just wanting to see different opinions and how would you correct or make them better?

You know when Teddy Gains came in last year to coach the defensive backs I thought, no more problems in the secondary. A home run hire. Gains played on a National Championship team in college, played in the NFL, and has coached on 6 different small college teams. DB has good athletes playing back there. I know Gains is a good coach with a lot of experience. I just don't get it. Maybe they need to bring in a witchdoctor or something. 

4 hours ago, StarBright87 said:

Db is a better team than Bradley central and Fulton however a team like Bc and Fulton can give murvil more fits because of their speed, Fulton didn't score on the ville because they shot themselves in the foot leaving 14pts on the field but Fulton rb gash murvil defense.

Murvil is a bad matchup for Db, Db has no real burners, they have a huge offensive line and they ground you and pound you, murvil will just stack the box and dare Db qb to pass for 350. Even though Alcoa lost to murvil, Alcoa is still the better team but Alcoa plays right into Db hands they run 95% of the time and Db front 7 are monsters. Now I'm not that crazy to say Db will beat Alcoa, it's just Alcoa is a better matchup for the Indians.

But we all know how this is going to end we are all on this island and Oakland is the host and some of us paid extra for extended stay but eventually Oakland will get bored and kick us all off this island and they will be rewarded 

not trying to sound over confident but if a team just loaded the box against us and dared us to throw we might still score a heck of a lot of points, i had my doubts about whitson esp last year, he used to stare down receivers and and throw late but he has proven this year that he has progressed tremendously, not saying hes an all world passer but he can hurt teams esp with his play action game 

Edited by Indian2424
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, WaCoJaCo said:

You know when Teddy Gains came in last year to coach the defensive backs I thought, no more problems in the secondary. A home run hire. Gains played on a National Championship team in college, played in the NFL, and has coached on 6 different small college teams. DB has good athletes playing back there. I know Gains is a good coach with a lot of experience. I just don't get it. Maybe they need to bring in a witchdoctor or something. 

Your right. Gaines knows what he is doing. You can see him coaching them up on the sidelines. Also, in the last few years Gerald Sensabaugh, Foreman, and Swafford have also helped back there. For some reason it just isn’t coming all together.

Edited by IndiansForLife

2 hours ago, IndiansForLife said:

Your right. Gaines knows what he is doing. You can see him coaching them up on the sidelines. Also, in the last few years Gerald Sensabaugh, Foreman, and Swafford have also helped back there. For some reason it just isn’t coming all together.

Yeah, I don’t totally buy the line that it’s lack of coaching anymore. Teddy & Dustin Gaines the past 2 years, Malik Foreman last year, and Devaun Swafford this year working with the DBs. Those are some of/if not the best skill position players that have come through Kingsport working with the guys on a daily basis. Like Waco said Teddy has a ton of experience coaching those guys and has done it at a lot of different levels successfully. At this point I think other than our kicking game it is just our weakest position we have talent wise. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DBKPT93 said:

Yeah, I don’t totally buy the line that it’s lack of coaching anymore. Teddy & Dustin Gaines the past 2 years, Malik Foreman last year, and Devaun Swafford this year working with the DBs. Those are some of/if not the best skill position players that have come through Kingsport working with the guys on a daily basis. Like Waco said Teddy has a ton of experience coaching those guys and has done it at a lot of different levels successfully. At this point I think other than our kicking game it is just our weakest position we have talent wise. 

We are on the same page. Secondary coaching isn’t the issue. 

Edited by IndiansForLife

8 hours ago, IndiansForLife said:

We are on the same page. Secondary coaching isn’t the issue. 

Are you sure???      DB is now the third largest high school in the state of Tennessee, and you are telling us that they can't find 6 skilled defensive backs out of 2,364 students??

https://tssaa.org/2020-fall-enrollments

1 Collierville High School 2,865
2 Bartlett High School 2,768
3 Dobyns Bennett High School 2,364
4 Science Hill High School 2,285
5 Cookeville High School 2,265
6 McGavock High School 2,256
7 Cordova High School 2,252
8 Arlington High School 2,157
9 Jefferson Co. High School 2,079
10 Smyrna High School 2,043

1 hour ago, blazer1set said:

Are you sure???      DB is now the third largest high school in the state of Tennessee, and you are telling us that they can't find 6 skilled defensive backs out of 2,364 students??

https://tssaa.org/2020-fall-enrollments

1 Collierville High School 2,865
2 Bartlett High School 2,768
3 Dobyns Bennett High School 2,364
4 Science Hill High School 2,285
5 Cookeville High School 2,265
6 McGavock High School 2,256
7 Cordova High School 2,252
8 Arlington High School 2,157
9 Jefferson Co. High School 2,079
10 Smyrna High School 2,043

The number of enrolled students at any high school anywhere has nothing to do with the quality of athletes at any said high school anywhere. It's all about the coaching staff. Period. Like I said before DB has good athletes playing in the secondary. They have a good coach now. I'm not a coach or a player (obviously), I'm just a guy that likes to talk about it. Like everybody else on here. I have no Ideal how they fix it. Maybe Gains just needs more time working with them. The players are capable they just need to listen and get it done. I think Cody is their best defensive back and I believe he went out of the game early Friday night so that didn't help. And that #20 for Farragut is one of the best receivers in the state. So that had something to do with it to. One thing's for sure, from here on out teams are going to attack DB's secondary. The cat's out of the bag. We'll see how it goes. 

1 hour ago, WaCoJaCo said:

The number of enrolled students at any high school anywhere has nothing to do with the quality of athletes at any said high school anywhere.  It's all about the coaching staff. Period.  ........

Interesting, so Red Boiling Springs (enrollment 81) could compete with the top 6A schools if St. Nick went there to coach, or maybe Belichick? 

1277609_a4481478bafb45269c1bb1cc68ae25a2