Gordonsville at Fayetteville

croz6110

This is marked as a key game in my agenda. Good on good Region 4 and 5 competition is a big clue to the postseason, especially here in the east. I will likely be thinking about this game way more than I should. 

I'm going to take Gordy, but I'm not sure it will be the killing I expect. 

Croz, maybe you can tell me more about Jo Byrns because Huntland beat them pretty handily and I've seen Huntland in person and they are not a very good football team, but they played a one score game with Fayetteville.

There are two possibilities:

1. Region 5 is a total dumpster fire and Region 4 has 3 good teams (Gordy, Monterey, Clay) and Jo Byrns is bad bad.  

2. Region 5 is really good and Region 4 is repeating last year.

I am fairly positive that the first one is correct, but if it's not, we will find out when this game kicks off. 

16 minutes ago, TheRefuter said:

This is marked as a key game in my agenda. Good on good Region 4 and 5 competition is a big clue to the postseason, especially here in the east. I will likely be thinking about this game way more than I should. 

I'm going to take Gordy, but I'm not sure it will be the killing I expect. 

Croz, maybe you can tell me more about Jo Byrns because Huntland beat them pretty handily and I've seen Huntland in person and they are not a very good football team, but they played a one score game with Fayetteville.

There are two possibilities:

1. Region 5 is a total dumpster fire and Region 4 has 3 good teams (Gordy, Monterey, Clay) and Jo Byrns is bad bad.  

2. Region 5 is really good and Region 4 is repeating last year.

I am fairly positive that the first one is correct, but if it's not, we will find out when this game kicks off. 

I'm not sure yet about Monterey, but Jo Byrns is not good this year, they have struggled mightily this year. Gordonsville and Clay are good football teams, imo. I think they will be 1st and 2nd in the region, and they'll win their 1st round games.

I think there is a lot of parity in region 5, but Fayetteville seems to be one of the younger teams in that region. I've not looked into the other teams, but there are a lot of underclassmen that get a lot of playing time at Fayetteville. 

Fayetteville will be missing about 5 players in this one after their ejections in their road region game against Cornersville. 

I would have liked to have seen this one if both teams were at full strength.  I still may attend to see how Gordy handles the speedster Jackson for City as SP will be at Whitwell. 

@Varo, do yall still have the pastor/preacher that calls the games there?  And also the smoked bbq bologna sammiches?  

@TheRefuter,  I've seen Fayetteville twice, Huntland twice and Cornersville once this year.  I don't think this game will give us too much assessment as far as comparing the west vs the east for the reason I stated above with Fayetteville losing some key players due to ejections. 

Now if Gordonsville struggles,  I think it will give us a clue maybe on how they stack up in the east.  Just my thoughts.  

Region 5 is very competitive and has better parity than any or most all other Class 1A regions.   My verdict is still out on Fayetteville for 2 reasons.  One they are their own worse enemy.  I'm not being harsh and I'm sure City faithful will say the same.  And reason 2, even though I haven't seen Moore County,  I cant help but think they are the best team in this region even though they lost to the Tigers when it counted. Maybe that's not so much of a reason as merely an opinion.  Maybe a weak opinion at that.  So I'll go ahead and double down on the 1st reason.  Fayetteville is their own worse enemy.   Now to their credit, they did improve from the time I saw them in Huntland earlier in the year and last night in Cornersville.  

As for this game, I'll take the Blue Tigers, all day every day.  Even if Fayetteville were to be at full strength.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Southtowner said:

@TheRefuter,  I've seen Fayetteville twice, Huntland twice and Cornersville once this year.  I don't think this game will give us too much assessment as far as comparing the west vs the east for the reason I stated above with Fayetteville losing some key players due to ejections. 

Now if Gordonsville struggles,  I think it will give us a clue maybe on how they stack up in the east.  Just my thoughts.  

Region 5 is very competitive and has better parity than any or most all other Class 1A regions.   My verdict is still out on Fayetteville for 2 reasons.  One they are their own worse enemy.  I'm not being harsh and I'm sure City faithful will say the same.  And reason 2, even though I haven't seen Moore County,  I cant help but think they are the best team in this region even though they lost to the Tigers when it counted. Maybe that's not so much of a reason as merely an opinion.  Maybe a weak opinion at that.  So I'll go ahead and double down on the 1st reason.  Fayetteville is their own worse enemy.   Now to their credit, they did improve from the time I saw them in Huntland earlier in the year and last night in Cornersville.  

As for this game, I'll take the Blue Tigers, all day every day.  Even if Fayetteville were to be at full strength.  

Thanks for the insight. 

This game will either embolden my confidence in a Gordy/Pirate quarterfinal showdown or give my Cougars hope for Gordy/Basin Act VII: The Silver Hats Strike Back

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Southtowner said:

City will be short handed and that will hurt. As you saw, we aren’t deep enough to lose that many in addition to having another key starter out hurt and 2 out with COVID tracing. It will be tough to beat a really good Gordonsville team missing that many. 

You are right we shoot ourselves in the foot too often with self inflicted penalties and bad decisions. I will say that if we ever figure out how to fix that and field a full healthy team, we will be tough to beat. We have seen flashes of that this year. And with such a young team, I’m hoping we get better as the season keeps going and we are rolling come postseason.

16 hours ago, Richmond30 said:

City will be short handed and that will hurt. As you saw, we aren’t deep enough to lose that many in addition to having another key starter out hurt and 2 out with COVID tracing. It will be tough to beat a really good Gordonsville team missing that many. 

You are right we shoot ourselves in the foot too often with self inflicted penalties and bad decisions. I will say that if we ever figure out how to fix that and field a full healthy team, we will be tough to beat. We have seen flashes of that this year. And with such a young team, I’m hoping we get better as the season keeps going and we are rolling come postseason.

Your players that are out due to covid tracing should be back by the time we play. However, two weeks is a long time, and there's a lot that can happen with covid tracing in that time period. We had 4 or 5 starters who didn't start against RBS because Friday was their first day back. We have 3 or 4 more that won't be back til tomorrow.

I'm just hoping both teams avoid the covid curse for the rest of the year, especially when it comes to playoffs. The worst case scenarios for the playoffs are nightmarish.

3 hours ago, croz6110 said:

Your players that are out due to covid tracing should be back by the time we play. However, two weeks is a long time, and there's a lot that can happen with covid tracing in that time period. We had 4 or 5 starters who didn't start against RBS because Friday was their first day back. We have 3 or 4 more that won't be back til tomorrow.

I'm just hoping both teams avoid the covid curse for the rest of the year, especially when it comes to playoffs. The worst case scenarios for the playoffs are nightmarish.

The COVID stuff is a question that I can’t answer. Hope they are both back. One of them is a big difference maker. Don’t know when we will hear on the 4 players ejected from the Cornersville game. Hope it is soon so we can make adjustments. It really hurt to not have them the other night. We have another kid that has been hurt for several weeks. I was hoping he would be back for this one. 

21 hours ago, Southtowner said:

i know what u are saying. Fayetteville has the most talent but doesnt always play as a team, or selflessly. They were hot against Moore, but I too believe that Moore is the best team overall. Reminds me of Tennessee being better than Florida several times and still losing. 

46 minutes ago, Richmond30 said:

The COVID stuff is a question that I can’t answer. Hope they are both back. One of them is a big difference maker. Don’t know when we will hear on the 4 players ejected from the Cornersville game. Hope it is soon so we can make adjustments. It really hurt to not have them the other night. We have another kid that has been hurt for several weeks. I was hoping he would be back for this one. 

As far as the players that got ejected, I don't know exactly what happened, but I don't know that I have ever seen players that ejected be allowed to play in the next game.

We had a player get ejected in the semis in 2011. It was for anything regarding physical contact. He sat out the first game the next season.

23 hours ago, Southtowner said:

Fayetteville will be missing about 5 players in this one after their ejections in their road region game against Cornersville. 

I would have liked to have seen this one if both teams were at full strength.  I still may attend to see how Gordy handles the speedster Jackson for City as SP will be at Whitwell. 

@Varo, do yall still have the pastor/preacher that calls the games there?  And also the smoked bbq bologna sammiches?  

Yes he is.  Brother Tim handles the calls from the press box.  As for the BBQ'ed Bolo, I can make a special request and see.  It's been a limited menu b/c of the Co-19.  They did have BBQ nachos last home game though.