Is it just me, or is football down

1OldPatriot

25 minutes ago, StarBright87 said:

Some Oakland poster can't remember who it was basically said Oakland this season wasn't anything to brag about until they got 2 players maybe suspended or injured back on the team and that's what put Oakland on a different level this season 

No doubt they're really good but. Oakland's chances of winning state really weren't gonna change that much just because of 1 or 2 players.

Defensively, they played great against Brentwood but I'm not nearly as confident about the unit that I was in '16 or '18 or even last season

29 minutes ago, StarBright87 said:

Oh I agree with everything besides i think coach hunt is the best coach in tn, every team in tn wins with the best talent, murvil wins with talent spread in with spare parts 

Maryville's greatest strength is the development of these kids before they get to varsity. It's something that every program should aim to replicate

1 hour ago, chs1984 said:

Maryville had that Whitehaven game won at the end of regulation were it not for a phantom penalty call. 

Phantom call? Like Marivul fans said before, refs just officiate the games, so I'm sure if there was 1 bad call there was others in that game that could have changed the outcome. Whitehaven won, the past is the past 

8 minutes ago, MidTennFootball said:

No doubt they're really good but. Oakland's chances of winning state really weren't gonna change that much just because of 1 or 2 players.

Defensively, they played great against Brentwood but I'm not nearly as confident about the unit that I was in '16 or '18 or even last season

Oakland were better in 16' 18' if I was a Oakland fan I would be confident just because this murvil team is too young they're built for the future 

2 minutes ago, StarBright87 said:

Oakland were better in 16' 18' if I was a Oakland fan I would be confident just because this murvil team is too young they're built for the future 

They said the same thing about Oakland in 2017 and they were thisclose to winning at Maryville. I don't think any team that has faced Maryville in the last 20 years has been confident about their chances against Maryville in the playoffs

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MidTennFootball said:

They said the same thing about Oakland in 2017 and they were thisclose to winning at Maryville. I don't think any team that has faced Maryville in the last 20 years has been confident about their chances against Maryville in the playoffs

Honestly, I don't think oakland is the least bit scared of Maryville, and if they are midtenn then please tell them to never schedule Alcoa

5 minutes ago, MidTennFootball said:

Murvil wins most games before teams before they even step off the bus, I think Oakland and Alcoa are the only 2 teams not afraid of murvil 

7 minutes ago, MidTennFootball said:

The 1st time I ever seen murvil was 2004 against tn high, I'm not a tn high fan, but during warmups murvil had the hands team out and I said this is the team that is dominating, 20 minutes later the beaf and potatoes guys coming running out, I told my buddy this is going to be a long night, 49-0 at halftime. I came back in 2012 murvil against Db and I felt Db was cheated, not saying Db would have won but the refs played a huge part in that game 

27 minutes ago, MidTennFootball said:

Maryville's greatest strength is the development of these kids before they get to varsity. It's something that every program should aim to replicate

This can’t be overstated. I’m seeing it first hand. The investment in the guys who won’t help win a game this year pays off big time in a year or two.

10 minutes ago, Thund3rStruck said:

Honestly, I don't think oakland is the least bit scared of Maryville, and if they are midtenn then please tell them to never schedule Alcoa

I never said Oakland was scared. I've not once felt confident about Oakland's chances going into a game with Maryville. I would love to see Oakland play Alcoa

7 minutes ago, StarBright87 said:

Murvil wins most games before teams before they even step off the bus, I think Oakland and Alcoa are the only 2 teams not afraid of murvil 

I don't think the list is that short, but their definitely one of the few programs that have the talent to play with Maryville year over year

4 minutes ago, StarBright87 said:

The 1st time I ever seen murvil was 2004 against tn high, I'm not a tn high fan, but during warmups murvil had the hands team out and I said this is the team that is dominating, 20 minutes later the beaf and potatoes guys coming running out, I told my buddy this is going to be a long night, 49-0 at halftime. I came back in 2012 murvil against Db and I felt Db was cheated, not saying Db would have won but the refs played a huge part in that game 

Part of the beauty of how well run Maryville is as a program. They aren't the fastest, biggest, or most talented but they just get the job done. They are really simple on both sides of the ball, but they execute to perfection what they do

8 minutes ago, strongx said:

This can’t be overstated. I’m seeing it first hand. The investment in the guys who won’t help win a game this year pays off big time in a year or two.

Biggest reason why Oakland has been able to beat Maryville is the attention the middle school and freshman/jv get. McDaniel did a good job getting the ball rolling, but Creasy took it to another level

5 minutes ago, StarBright87 said:

Mtf I just quoted the guy in another thread who I was telling you about 

Does the addition of James and Horton help? Absolutely, but it's not a night and day difference. Oakland was already well stocked at both of those positions, it just made them deeper

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1