Need An Explanation from the TSSAA!

sportsguy22

1 hour ago, sportsguy22 said:

Completely disagree! Gonna be tougher to win this year than any other year. It will be well deserved and very much earned. I was waiting for this excuse to pop up unfortunately. Knew it would come from teams that expect to lose in the playoffs or not make the playoffs at all. It’s a sad commentary on our world today...make excuses when things aren’t going your way. 

First off, I am not currently affiliated with, or a fan of, any program. Secondly, if, God forbid, Oakland and Maryville are taken out of the playoffs in the 2nd round by Covid, can you tell me with a straight face that whoever wins Game 15 will have a legitimate claim to being state champs? 

Edited by chs1984

2 minutes ago, chs1984 said:

First off, I am not currently affiliated with any program. Secondly, if, God forbid, Oakland and Maryville are taken out of the playoffs in the 2nd round by Covid, can you tell me with a straight face that whoever wins Game 15 will have a legitimate claim to being state champs? 

Why in the world are we playing the “if” game?? In 2020, of all years, have we not learned to quit playing the “if” game? There have been years where the likely best team loses its best player or was ravaged with injuries. Another team won the state championship. And guess what? It means just as much. That’s the way it works in sports. No need to play the “if” game any given year, especially this year. 

1 minute ago, sportsguy22 said:

Why in the world are we playing the “if” game?? In 2020, of all years, have we not learned to quit playing the “if” game? There have been years where the likely best team loses its best player or was ravaged with injuries. Another team won the state championship. And guess what? It means just as much. That’s the way it works in sports. No need to play the “if” game any given year, especially this year. 

Valid points. But, we can’t continue to ignore the fact that there is an elephant in the room....

2 minutes ago, sportsguy22 said:

Exactly. So tell me again why you started this thread in the first place.

Tell me why the TSSAA needs to change the football schedules of a handful of schools in order to please you when they established the season would be played in full. It is not their fault the leadership in Metro and Memphis is full of CNN watching fools.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, GWAVE1 said:

Not in my eyes.  Lots of obstacles other than who is across the field.  A championship is a championship.  

IF there's a covid forfeit in the playoffs (which is likely) then there will be an asterisk.  a school or district opting out is an entirely different endeavor.

15 minutes ago, MichaelMyers76 said:

Exactly. So tell me again why you started this thread in the first place.

Tell me why the TSSAA needs to change the football schedules of a handful of schools in order to please you when they established the season would be played in full. It is not their fault the leadership in Metro and Memphis is full of CNN watching fools.

Because there was time to make it fair for everyone. In the Metro case specifically. All they had to do was mandate that all the region games be played. Metro had six weeks and that was enough time to get in all the region games in the three regions that were affected. It’s simple stuff. It’s about fairness. That said, it certainly doesn’t de-value any of the state champions that will be crowned this year. Everyone will play it out on the field. The point is why this happened when it could have been avoided. Not everyone is playing everyone in these regions, and they had time to do so.

Edited by sportsguy22

1 hour ago, chs1984 said:

Let’s you and I compare credentials on high school football, shall we? I’ll take the liberty of going first. I have been involved with high school football for over 35 years, with 5 different programs, in 2 different states, with multiple state championships, and I DON’T mean sitting in the bleachers. Your turn! 

I bet you still wear your letterman jacket to high school football games too, right?

I am so glad those teams let you run the chain gang for them and you felt such a part of the programs. It doesn't change the fact that if a team wins a state championship this year, it will not be looked at differently than others years except for old farts like you. The kids and coaches put in the effort and played who was in front of them. 

7 minutes ago, chs1984 said:

No, I wore a coach’s shirt, and I’m too old and slow to be on a chain gang. Lol. We will just have to agree to disagree. Best wishes to whoever your team is. 

All I know is my son who is a senior has worked harder this season then myself and my teammates did back in the early 2000s when we made three straight state championship games winning one and losing two heartbreakers to the best program in the history of the state. I am well aware of what it takes to win a state championship and I won’t let you or anyone else diminish that for this year’s seniors.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, District12AA said:

I bet you still wear your letterman jacket to high school football games too, right?

I am so glad those teams let you run the chain gang for them and you felt such a part of the programs. It doesn't change the fact that if a team wins a state championship this year, it will not be looked at differently than others years except for old farts like you. The kids and coaches put in the effort and played who was in front of them. 

No, I wore a coach’s shirt, and I am too old and slow to be on a chain gang. Lol. We will have to agree to disagree. Best wishes to whoever your team is. P.S.- Be sure to wear thick underwear, those bleachers can get hard.

2 minutes ago, District12AA said:

All I know is my son who is a senior has worked harder this season then myself and my teammates did back in the early 2000s when we made three straight state championship games winning one and losing two heartbreakers to the best program in the history of the state. I am well aware of what it takes to win a state championship and I won’t let you or anyone else diminish that for this year’s seniors.

Go Hillsboro! I was there for those three games. Yes, sitting in the bleachers. That onside kick was a killer!