Karns visits Rhea County

57eagle

13 minutes ago, dawgs82 said:

LOL, Barney, how do you really feel? Agreed, these schools struggle. But they have athletes! When my son was at Powell in the early 2000's we lost to Maryville (I think, seemed like) all 4 years in the second round. We had moved over here from NC. So many times I have wondered what it would have been like if we had moved to Blount Co. instead of the Powell area. My son ended up signing with Carson-Newman, but I've wondered if he might have been able to go a higher level had we moved to Blount Co. and with more exposer.  But we had very close friendships with a lot of people in Powell and our kids had the same and it was just more important to our family than a move for football. Believe me, I love high school and college football more than the next person, but your kids happiness means more. If the Karn's kid is happy, I can't blame him for staying home.

That was a frustrating time to be a Powell (or Central) fan. Between 2002 and 2005, both teams lost to Maryville in the playoffs 3 times each. I was living in Columbus in 2004 when Powell played Maryville in the second round, and somehow found a radio feed of that game. That's the closest they ever came to beating Maryville during this on-going 23-year run they're on.

Edited by osunut2

31 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

That was a frustrating time to be a Powell (or Central) fan. Between 2002 and 2005, both teams lost to Maryville in the playoffs 3 times each. I was living in Columbus in 2004 when Powell played Maryville in the second round, and somehow found a radio feed of that game. That's the closest they ever came to beating Maryville during this on-going 23-year run they're on.

Interesting.  

Bet that radio guy was just awful to listen to.  :popcorneater:

And that's one Powell folks still wish they had back.  Powell had cut the lead to 5 running the football in the second half, gets the ball back with 5 minutes to go in the 4th quarter at it's own 40 and decides to get pass happy.  

Holding, another holding, incomplete, short gain then 2 more incompletions and before we know it it is 4th and the Alcoa Aluminum plant and opportunity gone.  

But Maryville always just found ways to win those games.  That's why they are who they are.  

During that era, Halls, Powell, Central, and West were all talented enough in given years to win 4A state championships, but none of them could ever get past Maryville.  

Edited by HTV
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, HTV said:

Interesting.  

And that's one Powell folks still wish they had back.  Powell had cut the lead to 5 running the football in the second half, gets the ball back with 5 minutes to go in the 4th quarter at it's own 40 and decides to get pass happy.  

Holding, another holding, incomplete, short gain then 2 more incompletions and before we know it it is 4th and the Alcoa Aluminum plant and opportunity gone.  

But Maryville always just found ways to win those games.  That's why they are who they are.  

During that era, Halls, Powell, Central, and West were all talented enough in given years to win 4A state championships, but none of them could ever get past Maryville.  

I was hoping you'd spot that comment. That radio guy wasn't half-bad  :)

4 hours ago, HTV said:

Interesting.  

wasn’t that game in the 2nd round and Cody watts? was the qb and they also had lee smith? Central would’ve been state champs probably from 03-05 had it not been for the red& black road block.

6 hours ago, dawgs82 said:

LOL, Barney, how do you really feel? Agreed, these schools struggle. But they have athletes! When my son was at Powell in the early 2000's we lost to Maryville (I think, seemed like) all 4 years in the second round. We had moved over here from NC. So many times I have wondered what it would have been like if we had moved to Blount Co. instead of the Powell area. My son ended up signing with Carson-Newman, but I've wondered if he might have been able to go a higher level had we moved to Blount Co. and with more exposer.  But we had very close friendships with a lot of people in Powell and our kids had the same and it was just more important to our family than a move for football. Believe me, I love high school and college football more than the next person, but your kids happiness means more. If the Karn's kid is happy, I can't blame him for staying home.

I guess I'm just curious why any of the big recruiting schools over there haven't pulled this kid in. Not sure what the problem is at Karns but for some reason it's the graveyard for a lot of coaches from far back as I can remember. Maybe their like Heritage and William Blount over here in Blount County, always a black cloud hangs over those two football programs and have from the very start. If Loudon County opened the gates and let Blount County Kids in Greenback High school they would have to cancel William Blounts Football Program because 60% of the kids would leave there in a flat second knowing they aren't being held against their will to go there. WB gets real upset when one of theirs gets across that Loudon County Line someway or somehow. One got across this summer and I thought WB was going to call in the FBI they were so upset about it.

41 minutes ago, BarneySox2007 said:

I guess I'm just curious why any of the big recruiting schools over there haven't pulled this kid in. Not sure what the problem is at Karns but for some reason it's the graveyard for a lot of coaches from far back as I can remember. Maybe their like Heritage and William Blount over here in Blount County, always a black cloud hangs over those two football programs and have from the very start. If Loudon County opened the gates and let Blount County Kids in Greenback High school they would have to cancel William Blounts Football Program because 60% of the kids would leave there in a flat second knowing they aren't being held against their will to go there. WB gets real upset when one of theirs gets across that Loudon County Line someway or somehow. One got across this summer and I thought WB was going to call in the FBI they were so upset about it.

Barney,

You are a clown. You constantly mention WB and Heritage like we are on the same level. Heritage has had many winless seasons and WB has never had a winless season. Oh, and we have dominated them for over two decades. It isn't even close. We have also dominated other "bad" local schools like Karns and Campbell County.

Greenback has scored two touchdowns this season and the Govs are in position to make the playoffs for the second year in a row and finish 5-5 for the first time in over a decade. Get out of here with your nonsense.

Edited by FightOnForWilliamBlount91

43 minutes ago, BarneySox2007 said:

Karns has always been a strange case. Big suburban school, great community support, but they've always lacked an identity, they're sandwiched between a number of more competitive programs, and now they've got to deal with four private schools (CAK, Webb, Catholic, Grace) plus HVA. The environment at Karns today reminds me of Powell in the late 90s. Plenty of community growth and support, but they just don't have enough athletes to field a good football team.

It would be interesting to see how many kids they lose annually to neighboring schools.

Edited by osunut2
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

Karns has always been a strange case. Big suburban school, great community support, but they've always lacked an identity, they're sandwiched between a number of more competitive programs, and now they've got to deal with four private schools (CAK, Webb, Catholic, Grace) plus HVA. The environment at Karns today reminds me of Powell in the late 90s. Plenty of community growth and support, but they just don't have enough athletes to field a good football team.

It would be interesting to see how many kids they lose annually to neighboring schools.

They always have talent, both in football and basketball. Shoot, if you gave Aaron Green (OR basketball coach) some of the basketball talent at Karns over the past 10 or so years, he would’ve had at least a few state tournament appearances.

14 minutes ago, chsbobcat09 said:

All of what has been said here is true, ab the game and Karns. Never know though, it may all change one day.

All it would take is a diamond in the rough type coach like Central had with Rosser to turn a school like Karns or even HVA around. The only difference is a team like Central had a winning tradition to pull from, something which neither of those teams have ever had in football. Those types are hard to come by though, and even harder to keep around once they get good. It would be hard for Karns to ever hold onto a coach if they ever got lucky enough to find a good one.

Edited by SweetScience

7 hours ago, SweetScience said:

They always have talent, both in football and basketball. Shoot, if you gave Aaron Green (OR basketball coach) some of the basketball talent at Karns over the past 10 or so years, he would’ve had at least a few state tournament appearances.

That's very true, but the big difference there is roster size. You only need a few difference makers on the hardwood to establish a competitive team. Football is an entirely different animal.