Thoughts on William Blount's 2020 Season

Governm

My takes for next year:

The post below is not meant to be a knock on any players or coaches. Just one fans arm chair quarterback opinion of what I think.

1. On offense lots of Seniors will be in skill positions. The most explosive one will be a Junior. Most all of them will have been 2-3 year starters. We have a decent RB but he needs room to run past the first level. After that he can make things happen on his own.

2. At least 2 Seniors on O-line. One of which has started since sophomore year. He missed 3 games due to injury. The second senior did not play in freshman and sophomore year. He is a big dude with good feet. Spring practice and the weight room will make him a pretty good player. 3 Sophomores earned lots of playing time and should be ready to go with a good spring.

3. 2nd Clemmer has the ability to be really good. Strong Arm, with a nice touch and accurate. Did I mention he looks to be a pretty savvy when scrambling and making plays on the run. With the WR crew coming back this could be fun to watch. He had two really good (maybe dangerous) plays against LC. One went from a sack to a TD. Pretty headsy player too. Did I mention the 3rd Clemmer. He is really good too and will be a Freshman.

4. I would like us to play a TE more, mostly as a blocker, but with the occasional pass to keep the LB's honest. Most LB's only had to worry about the run this year as there aren't many plays WB runs that force the LB to think about the pass too much. That little hesitation from a LB could mean 2 more yard on a carry up the middle.

4. The D-Line has to get better next year. Ironically, I think they have talent and some speed there, but overall undersized. A better understanding of their role might help too. They don't have to make every play, just learn to not give up their space. Weight room will be a key factor with this group.

5. LB's will be a pretty good unit next year. I personally would like to see a 4-3 type of game plan. Big smart and agile LB in the middle, another guy that can cover and has a good LB IQ. Maybe a little undersized, but actually strong kid. If he can do better at attacking a block head on and not giving ground, he could turn a decent year this year into a great year next year. The third one is really good at blitzing and disrupting plays. He is very dangerous. He is the type of player that does really good in situations where you tell him to just go find the ball. They all three need to be on the field at the same time in my opinion. 

6. DB's are actually pretty talented, but speed kills them overall. If we can get them to understand their role better they can be good. Unfortunately they are also on offense, so fatigue can be an issue. Most all of them will be back. They have got to have better discipline as far as lining up in correct depth and better eye discipline (and not biting on play action) to stop the over the top big plays. This has been an issue for 2 years straight. I would like to see this get solved this year. Perhaps, playing a 4-3 as noted above may help get more intense pressure on the QB, so deep passes are less likely.

7. Overall our kicking team is pretty good. We have a pretty good kicker/punter, but he also plays a lot on offense. If he was only a kicker, I believe he would be one of the best kickers in the country. The problem is that he is very talented beyond just kicking. Danged if you, danged if you don't type of situation. If he decides to kick in college, he will be a steal for whatever team gets him. Call me crazy, but his leg could be good enough to possibly play on Sunday's. ProKicker thinks the same.

8. Weight room needed badly

9. Weight room needed badly

10. Weight room and agility training has to be better for the whole team. The whole team needs to bump it up a notch or two. The program has a good plan, but the kids have to do more than most to improve. If this doesn't happen from a self discipline perspective, then look for much of the same to continue. This group has the ability to have a great year next year. How bad do they want it? The answer to that question will tell you all you need to know about next year.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...