Haywood vs ripley rematch round 3

Kruger77

5 hours ago, BLACKFRIDAY said:

Apparently nobody gives Ripley a chance in this game if all the talk has degenerated into next season's schedules. I'll move along!

We did stray away from the subject of the post, but that doesn't mean anybody is overlooking Ripley.  If you're a Tiger fan (or a west Tennessee high school football fan in general) and you have some meaningful comments related to the game,  please post them and give us something game-related to chat about.  Otherwise, keep moving.

What are your thoughts concerning the game?  Tell us why you think Ripley or Haywood will win.

Edited by stacmot
  • Like 1

On 11/13/2020 at 11:14 PM, stacmot said:

On Sept. 4, Crockett defeated Ripley 10-0.   On November 13, Ripley defeated Crockett 36-21
On Oct. 2, Haywood defeated Ripley 35-0.  On November 20, ???

It's hard to beat a good team twice.  Ripley has shown a great deal of improvement since the first of the season, but Haywood has too.  Haywood is healthy, and the return of Evans gives the Cats a definite boost on offense.  The Tomcats had some breakdowns on pass defense tonight, but overall the defense played well.  The Tomcats are motivated, and they're living up to their preseason billing.  I predict another Tomcat victory. 

It would be hard for anyone to argue with you. The Tomcats have had a really weird season. It seems to me that sometimes teams need to get into a rhythm.... It has been very hard for them to do that this year because they have had so many Covid casualties. I think the Tomcats are certainly favored to win this contest, but I would not sleep on Ripley. They are much improved and can beat the Tomcats. Should be a good game. 

I'm going with the Tomcats in this contest. 

Haywood - 28

Ripley - 21

On 11/15/2020 at 7:12 PM, Tomcatfan2011 said:

Not being able to play half the season for one, they didn’t like the Covid wins, two everyone wrote them off after losing to 3 top teams in their respective classes.. Henry county top 10... Covington top 10... sGC top 10... they took it as disrespect 

I am not sure why anyone would think that loosing to any of the 3 teams listed is being disrespectful. Haywood was in all of those contests.... Its not like anyone blew them out of the water. 

11 hours ago, Tomcatfan2011 said:

We will prolly play Henry county again, maybe Germantown, maybe briarcrest again or olive branch 

I would take it as a sign of respect IMO that no very many teams in west TN want to play Haywood. Honestly, when I saw that SGC scheduled Haywood I kind of cringed... Haywood is always going to have athletes, they have a good coaching staff, and community support. Those are the ingredients needed to have a successful program. I am glad that SGC put Haywood on the schedule because both of the games we have played the past couple of years have been great games. I also have respect for smaller schools like TCA and FRA willing to play SGC. I like the attitude from their respective coaches. We will line and play ball with who ever is on our schedule. I have really grown to dislike coaches " padding " their schedule to get easier wins. This is a sign of weakness and never ultimately proves to be a winning receipt. 

I also gained a HUGE amount of respect for the Tomcats this year. After SGC upset the cats I was walking to the locker room to congratulate our boys and coaches, I saw some of the tomcat players leaving our side of the locker room/field house. I immediately thought the worst.... I thought " crap, a bunch of trash talk and garbage had gone on ". I was WRONG! The Tomcat players came to congratulate the Hornets and wished them the best moving forward! This is sportsmanship, and class. This is also part of the reason I love this game so dang much. 

On 11/15/2020 at 7:12 PM, Tomcatfan2011 said:

Not being able to play half the season for one, they didn’t like the Covid wins, two everyone wrote them off after losing to 3 top teams in their respective classes.. Henry county top 10... Covington top 10... sGC top 10... they took it as disrespect 

On 11/15/2020 at 7:32 PM, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

Those are three really good teams. No shame in any of those losses. 

I agree no shame in the loss 

10 hours ago, ManOfMillions said:

It would be hard for anyone to argue with you. The Tomcats have had a really weird season. It seems to me that sometimes teams need to get into a rhythm.... It has been very hard for them to do that this year because they have had so many Covid casualties. I think the Tomcats are certainly favored to win this contest, but I would not sleep on Ripley. They are much improved and can beat the Tomcats. Should be a good game. 

I'm going with the Tomcats in this contest. 

Haywood - 28

Ripley - 21

It has definitely been a weird season.  The Tomcats are not the same team that played South Gibson.  Coach Smith and crew have really done a great job keeping the Cats motivated and focused.  Haywood seems to be peaking at the right time. 

It's always hard to beat a good team twice in a season.  Crockett County found that out in the 2nd round.  If the Cats stay focused and play like they have in their last three games, I think they can win.  I don't believe the Tomcats are overlooking the Tigers.

The quarterfinal game between Milan and SGC should be one of the best in the state.  I'll definitley be keeping up with it, but more of my focus will be on Haywood-Ripley and Lexington-Hardin Co.  Good luck to both the Dogs and the Hornets.

On 11/16/2020 at 2:57 PM, stacmot said:

There's an interesting quote I remember reading in the August 21, 2020 edition of the Millington Star.  http://www.millington-news.com/?p=8397

Near the end of the article, Millington head Coach Chris Michael made the following statement about Ripley, “They have a really good football team.  “This is the year they’re going to rock that district up there and make Haywood work for it.”

Ripley does have a good team, and  I'd like to commend Coach Michael on his insight.  However, I would also like to let Coach Michael know that Haywood has always worked for it, and will continue to do so.  

Go Tomcats!

Millington has around 25 freshman from what I'm hearing. The future is bright for one of the 72 highway 51 schools.