USJ @ DCA

Bellsburg2

USJ will travel to meet undefeated DCA with a trip to Cookeville on the line. This will be only the third all time meeting between the Bruins and the Wildcats, with DCA holding the 2-0 series record. The last meeting was when DCA came to Jackson and upset an undefeated USJ squad in the first round of the playoffs in 2012. The kids don’t remember, but that one still stings for us old timers.

This should be a great matchup. The only common opponent is TCA, both games with similar outcome. There is some uncertainly around #1 for USJ, a key figure in all three phases of the game, as he will miss part or all of the game following an ejection last night. Bruins should otherwise be at full strength.

I’ll have a better idea what this may look like once I can see the Wildcats on film, but looking forward to the battle. Someone with some insight, tell me a little about DCA.

Edited by Bellsburg2

2 hours ago, Bellsburg2 said:

USJ will travel to meet undefeated DCA with a trip to Cookeville on the line. This will be only the third all time meeting between the Bruins and the Wildcats, with DCA holding the 2-0 series record. The last meeting was when DCA came to Jackson and upset an undefeated USJ squad in the first round of the playoffs in 2012. The kids don’t remember, but that one still stings for us old timers.

This should be a great matchup. The only common opponent is TCA, both games with similar outcome. There is some uncertainly around #1 for USJ, a key figure in all three phases of the game, as he will miss part or all of the game following an ejection last night. Bruins should otherwise be at full strength.

I’ll have a better idea what this may look like once I can see the Wildcats on film, but looking forward to the battle. Someone with some insight, tell me a little about DCA.

It is my understanding that #1 was ejected from the game. The ejection rule is different in high school than what it is in college. He will miss the entire game.

As far as insight on DCA goes, you won't like trying to tackle their tail back. There is a reason he is one of the five semi-finalists for Mr football. I have personally seen four of the five semi-finalists, and to me he is the superior athlete of the four I have personally seen. They will play a very aggressive on the defensive side and they will play mean. They have excellent size across the board at all positions. They are technically proficient in all aspects of the game offensively and defensively. I was particularly impressed with the skill level of the quarterback and the tailback with the techniques that they used. The running back has better technique than anybody I have seen in a long time.

DCA, and the neighborhood that it resides in, was decimated by a tornado this past spring. It was very humbling to drive through that neighborhood. On the football field, the lights, the scoreboard, and the press box were All blown away. The stands are in very good shape and the playing surface is on a par with the the surface at TCA which means it's excellent. The new press box, just got electricity days before last night's game. Even in its under construction state, the new press box is far superior to anything in West Tennessee. When finished, it will be even better than the outstanding press box at Peabody. From a broadcaster's point of view, I am very envious of that press box.

Edited by ReitzFan

Bruins start ‘em early in 5th grade and they have plenty of football players on the team ...”Next Man up” only approach there is and they will be in great shape despite missing a senior.        I have great respect for the DCA football program which has been around a long time and so has their new head coach.   USJ knocked some month long rust off friday night and will be primed for the task.       USJ is having a lot of success with all their fall sports teams and the football team/players/coaches can keep rolling with aggressive line play.  

• Like 1

After seeing both teams play I was giving USJ a  2 TD edge before I found out about #1.  If he’s out the entire game I think this is a toss up.  I believe he’s that much of a difference maker, especially on special teams.  I think a key advantage USJ will have is the use of Seals at TE.  Big time weapon.  DCA is the most disciplined team I have seen and they fly to the ball on defense better than any team I’ve seen.  I don’t think their tailback will be able to run the ball like he has against other teams this year.  USJ’s D is pretty stout.  If it’s tight and comes down to a FG I think that’s easily USJ’s advantage.  It would not surprise me if DCA wins but I’m still going with USJ by a FG. Will be a heck of a ball game to watch. 

6 hours ago, TryNotToSuck said:

Why did the USJ kid get ejected? Hopefully, Stroup can find a way to send evidence to persuade the state to change it (which rarely happens). But, for me, it takes a lot to eject a kid in November. However, throwing a punch is understandable.

USJ folks will have to comment on the 2nd call that got him ejected. The first personal foul was on the opening kick off, shoving and talking trash.

The crew that called the game were something else - bad calls on both sides of the ball all night. It was all over the board, the fouls, spots, intentional grounding on both teams when there was a receiver in the area - but the ball was long, I have never spoke out about officiating on a board, and it would not have changed the outcome of the game, but I would like to hear some others thoughts?

The second USC penalty was strictly for jawing after several warnings between the two penalties. Most officials will try to call something other than a second USC in that circumstance. There’s no disputing what happened, I just personally feel like that second/ejection call should be something egregious like throwing a punch, coming off the sideline, etc. but once the call is made it can’t be undone and I doubt there is any recourse.

3 minutes ago, Bellsburg2 said:

The second USC penalty was strictly for jawing after several warnings between the two penalties. Most officials will try to call something other than a second USC in that circumstance. There’s no disputing what happened, I just personally feel like that second/ejection call should be something egregious like throwing a punch, coming off the sideline, etc. but once the call is made it can’t be undone and I doubt there is any recourse.

That’s a shame the kid can’t play if the penalty is upheld. DCA has there 6’5” 270 lb sophomore LT/DT that’s still out so it would be great if all the kids were able to play. Safe travels and best of luck.

Finally got my hands on some DCA film. No doubt #13 is a stud and has some big strong guys blocking for him. One of USJ's biggest strengths is the line play as well. This will be a great battle in the trenches. Without sounding too cliche, the team that wins the line of scrimmage will win this game. The Bruins will have to game plan to contain #13 and make DCA beat them throwing the ball, which they are more than capable of doing. The DCA run defense appears to be a particular strength, so the Bruins will likely seek to air it out a bit as well. USJ will have an advantage in the kicking game, which does not appear to be a strong suit for DCA. The Wildcats' punter must be the most boring job in football as they certainly don't get much action. :roflol:

USJ historically plays well on the road, maybe less distractions. I think both teams will put up a decent amount of points and I expect this to be a close one into the fourth quarter. Here's to hoping both teams stay healthy til Friday. I'm quickly tiring of seeing teams' seasons end anywhere other than on the field!

8 hours ago, Bellsburg2 said:

Finally got my hands on some DCA film. No doubt #13 is a stud and has some big strong guys blocking for him. One of USJ's biggest strengths is the line play as well. This will be a great battle in the trenches. Without sounding too cliche, the team that wins the line of scrimmage will win this game. The Bruins will have to game plan to contain #13 and make DCA beat them throwing the ball, which they are more than capable of doing. The DCA run defense appears to be a particular strength, so the Bruins will likely seek to air it out a bit as well. USJ will have an advantage in the kicking game, which does not appear to be a strong suit for DCA. The Wildcats' punter must be the most boring job in football as they certainly don't get much action. :roflol:

USJ historically plays well on the road, maybe less distractions. I think both teams will put up a decent amount of points and I expect this to be a close one into the fourth quarter. Here's to hoping both teams stay healthy til Friday. I'm quickly tiring of seeing teams' seasons end anywhere other than on the field!

Good stuff. #13 was the backup to a sophomore last year but that sophomore had  a devastating knee injury against DA and has only just returned recently. I say that to say #13 is arguably the hardest working player to have ever come through DCA. He started HS less than 100 lbs and has worked out tirelessly since. His twin is #14 and both are great kids from a great family.

The DCA kicker is a sophomore and has a personal best of 61 yards in training. He’s trained with James Wilhoit for years and has a great future. His kickoffs are by design even though he routinely places the ball in the end zone. Funny note is that he was the 2nd place finisher in the 100m in all of Nashville in middle school and is the fastest player on the team in the 100m. He has a great future ahead of him.

USJ has a great program and DCA is the underdog per most folks I’ve talked with. They are mostly sophomores on the line when 100% healthy. 

Teams haven’t really thrown the ball well against them all year but like at all levels the occasional bust happens. They run to the ball at all levels and #33 the 215 lb Soph middle LB is going to be one of the best if not the best ever at DCA. Fast and unbelievably physical for any level.

USJ will cause all sorts of problems for the young Wildcats. The question is can they make their own band play instead of USJ’s?

Best of luck and safe travels.

Edited by Playerscoach

Game day is nearly here. Time for a walk down memory lane. I don't know if there are any DCA lifers on here, but as a young lad I was a ball boy for my HS team when we played against DCA in 1989. To this day, I have never seen a man run the ball angrier than Scooter Edwards. He didn't try to run by you, he wanted to run you over and step on your face. I played against Jeremy Lyon (another DCA legend) in every sport and he was fantastic, but he was no Scooter. Edwards won back to back Mr. Football awards and led DCA to 2 title games, bringing home one gold ball. Any idea where he went after HS?