Playoffs - Semifinals - Oak Ridge vs South - Doyle

CardinalGrey

3 hours ago, pepvol said:

Coach Gaddis catches some grief but man oh man how many times has Oak ridge went from looking like a .500 team to having a chance to win it all the last few years  ... gotta give the coach some props , playing their best Ball when it counts ! Good luck Wildcats ! 

No question about it. We just beat a team that's clearly better than OR (I mean on paper)  and coaching has to figure in there somehow.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, osunut2 said:

Sounds like I'm one of the few pulling for the Cherokees. Would love to see Duncan play for a state title. It's been 29 years since his only other appearance, and it would be SD's first ever!

That said, I think OR wins a close one. They've been my sleeper team all season long. 

Osunut2, I'm also leaning towards SD. My son played for Clark his last 2 years at Powell, then Larry Stephens for 2 yrs. You can tell in his interviews with Packman that he deeply wants this team to go all the way. I think they are more physical than OR, but OR may have a little more speed

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, dawgs82 said:

Osunut2, I'm also leaning towards SD. My son played for Clark his last 2 years at Powell, then Larry Stephens for 2 yrs. You can tell in his interviews with Packman that he deeply wants this team to go all the way. I think they are more physical than OR, but OR may have a little more speed

I was at Powell in the late 90s, Dawg. My younger sister was good friend's with Clark's daughter, and they were a good family to be around. I had always hoped that Clark could get that elusive gold ball while I was there, but he just never could recapture what he had on those Powell teams in the early-mid 90s. By the time Josh and Jon Jon Lewis graduated, we were absolutely depleted at the skill positions. It also didn't help that Clark was losing a staggering number of kids to Joel Helton by then, plus the Maryville machine got going at the exact same time.

I don't think there's a coach around east TN who would appreciate the chance to play in Cookeville quite like Clark, especially with all of the close playoff losses he's had to endure over the past 30 years.

Edited by osunut2