South Pittsburg vs Fayetteville (Grider against this Morson man)

Roy Dillard

25 minutes ago, GG22 said:

TSSAA.

Basically, the kid moved to Lincoln County but not to Fayetteville proper. Both Fayetteville City and Lincoln County schools are open zoned, so you can attend either regardless of whether you live in the city limits or not. So, based on that, City considered him to have moved into their school zone, and the TSSAA ruled him eligible. I don't know who was pushing them to keep looking at it, but on the third or fourth consideration they determined that he was not in fact eligible as a transfer to City from Alabama because no City bus ran by his house, which was apparently a relatively obscure eligibility bylaw. He would have been eligible at LCHS, as a County school bus did run by his house. Conversely, if he'd moved into the city limits, he'd have been ineligible for LCHS, which I doubt LCHS people would have realized either.

TSSAA made the right call on the letter of the law, but it was arguable whether it was right to reverse a decision on a technicality after they'd previously ruled at least twice that he was eligible and he'd been playing in good faith. He was a decent player but by no means key, as the other QB was a far better overall athlete. They were undefeated in several games without him, and he transferred out this season as a rising senior as it apparently looked like he was going to be beaten out by a sophomore.

Thanks for the explanation. The "letter of the law" is very vague many times with the TSSAA - left to their interpretation that hour, or that day.

Congratulations to SP on a great season and a hard fought game tonight. Nothing to hang your heads about. There’s a lot of team that would have loved to been in your shoes today with an opportunity to be playing for a state championship.

Congratulations to Fayetteville, almost the majority of us on CT didn’t think you had a chance including me.  You clearly was the better team today in the trenches and that defense was outstanding and stood the test against and outstanding SP football team. The fight you put up today speaks volumes of how your coaching staff prepared you.   

This was truly an awesome game to watch. Fayetteville defied odds that was stacked against them and I don’t care who you are, you gotta be happy for them. Fayetteville brought the physicality from the get go and never let up. Hats off to you; you just defeated a very strong and great football team today and won your 1st State Championship.

Edited by Romansfive8
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, blitzinbuc said:

Thanks for the explanation. The "letter of the law" is very vague many times with the TSSAA - left to their interpretation that hour, or that day.

they had 20 some odd seniors, we could have been looking at back to back champions. as the saying goes around here " you think im joking...." you all get the jest 

Just now, Snowballschance said:

they had 20 some odd seniors, we could have been looking at back to back champions. as the saying goes around here " you think im joking...." you all get the jest 

They were a pleasure to watch play because they played with so much heart. They had a couple of good Senior linebackers, mixed in with some solid younger talent.  The freshmen running back was phenomenal playing in the environment of a state championship game. With their goal line stand early in the game and all of their major defensive penalties, it made their win even more impressive.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Snowballschance said:

I agree FC has a good team. I dont think they would have  beaten LC last year. Enjoy your win but don’t get too far ahead of yourself about last year. LC was very solid and your didn’t have number 3. 

• Like 1

Well Well Well!!!!!!!!

I just got done watching the game and I am absolutely amazed at how good City is. I sure wish I had the chance to watch them earlier in the season because I was way off on my prediction. I just wanna say I’m sorry to city for not showing you the respect you deserve in my prediction and you definitely gained a football fan today. #3 is going somewhere folks mark it down. 

SP great season I’m sure you will be back next year!

Edited by vandyfan1
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1