#1 at 145 Cody Chittum is now at Cleveland

durdon

5 hours ago, ghouse said:

The TSSAA apparently changed that rule at some point.  There were also a couple of kids from Lakeway Christian Academy that competed in-season at an event not as part of their team that got me to looking at the handbook again.

Not going to go search through the handbook now but the gist of it was that they have removed the "all-star" event restriction from sports with an individual championship.  There is even a FAQ that covers that exact scenario for golf and then mentions it would be the same for other sports and names wrestling.

Certainly interesting to me because it seemed like that was the type of rule change that would have received a little more visibility in the past.

Yeah, the Tssaa waived the rule this year for all sports because of impact covid is having on the ability of schools to host competitions.  I think it’s just for this school year. 

9 minutes ago, durdon said:

Yeah, the Tssaa waived the rule this year for all sports because of impact covid is having on the ability of schools to host competitions.  I think it’s just for this school year. 

Its interesting as there are no such statements on a timeframe in the TSSAA Handbook.  I would have thought it to have been a little better publicized if they were doing it with that intention.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, ghouse said:

Its interesting as there are no such statements on a timeframe in the TSSAA Handbook.  I would have thought it to have been a little better publicized if they were doing it with that intention.

We both know that the TSSAA has never been proactive as they always react to issues after they occur.  

• Upvote 1

Independent-Game Participation Section 21. Once a student’s name is listed on the school’s eligibility report, if a student participates in an independent game in that sport after the first contest date allowed and before the season has closed or his/her name has been removed from the eligibility report at the request of the school principal, the student shall be ineligible at the varsity level as explained below. Any organized game in which players not registered with TSSAA participate – regardless of whether admission is charged - is considered as an independent game. Once a violation of this rule has been confirmed, the student will be ineligible for the remainder of the season in that sport. A student's name may be removed from the school's eligibility list (TSSAA Portal Roster) upon written request of the principal prior to the first official contest date allowed in that sport without penalty. After the first official contest allowed, a student’s name may be removed from the school’s eligibility list (TSSAA Portal Roster) upon written request of the principal, and he/she may then participate as an independent without penalty. If the principal requests the state office to remove a student’s name after the first official contest date allowed in that sport, such student may not again be certified during the season of that sport. Students may practice with an independent team regardless of whether or not scrimmage situations occur at the practice for the independent team as long as the scrimmage situation only involves the independent team that is conducting the practice. A group of students who are assembled to try-out for an independent team is considered a single team regardless of the number of students involved. This rule does not apply to bowling, golf, tennis, wrestling, cross country, and track and field.

This is literally copied from the TSSAA handbook. It took me about 1 minute to find it if anyone wants to look for themselves. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bump11 said:

any truth to Cody going 160 for the raiders?

Cody wrestled 160p for Cleveland in their match against Bradley and who knows what different weights Cleveland will use him at State team duals but all individual matches including individual state Cody has to wrestle 145p as that is the weight he is ranked #1 at in all the national polls.