Blackmon Job

FuzzyFootballs44

15 hours ago, CougarDadx2 said:

B45 - what are your thoughts on the hire?

Well I watched his interview, I watched his youtuBe video on building a program and his thoughts on motivation, attitude and culture. I then watched games from his 2 seasons at North Jackson.  I like what he had to say, but did not see the pride, attitude and discipline in the team I saw on film.  That said this is a different place and different atmosphere.  I think the key may also be on what he does as far as staffing. I love the coaches that are there now, but it may be part of the process we need to look deeper at. Sometimes a fresh start means "fresh start"... hard to get a new recipe for winnning with old ingredients.  I believed all along  it was going to be somone out of state to get the job, and depending on how bad the admin wants to win and how much room they give him as to the future of the program holds. 

Edited by Blaze45

On 1/14/2021 at 12:23 PM, LittleJerrySeinfeld said:

Why did he go to Mt. Pleasant?

Couple of factors. Biggest one being that Mt. Pleasant is closer to where Hartsfield is from. Secondly, he's got a much better chance at winning big at MP. Blackman is going nowhere with Oakland and a resurgent Riverdale in their district, that's not to say winning a title would be easy at MP but its not the daunting task it will be at Blackman. Their window closed when Master Teague graduated

• Sad 1

On 1/13/2021 at 8:21 PM, SurfingPatriot786 said:

Speaking of Jackson. Do you think he’s ever going to go for a head coaching job, or does he seem like he’s happy and content with what he’s doing now? I do want to include that I don’t fault him either way. He’s in a position where he gets to run the show on defense while Creasy handles offense and that’s a great school to coach at. Plenty of coaches are plenty happy being coordinators and not dealing with that stress that being a head coach adds.

Take this with a grain of salt since I dont know the man personally.... However, I think he's happy where he's at the moment but do think he'd leave if the right job came open. If he hangs around long enough, he will probably be Creasy's replacement (or should be) when he leaves for greener pastures.

On 1/13/2021 at 8:29 PM, SurfingPatriot786 said:

This is an interesting job, but they have got to get out of this habit of changing coaches so quickly. The last 2 guys they had only lasted 3 years each but win loss record wise, there was no indication that either coach was in over their head or anything like that. 

Oakland is really strong year in and year out right now. The region as a whole is really strong. This is a tough job. It’s been up and down historically with who is the best team. Allow someone to coach there awhile and really lead the program. Right now, there’s no shame in making it to the quarterfinals and losing to Oakland. Really interested to see who applies for this one next. 

On its own, Blackman is a great job; solid demographics, strong community support in a growing area. As you pointed out though, trying to deal with Oakland and Riverdale makes this job much harder to attract a high profile coach. 

Also to Blackman's credit, they've only made one change directly related to on the field. I think David Watson is a great great line coach, but squandering the kind of talent he had when Oakland was vulnerable-ish in 2017 was pretty bad

12 hours ago, MidTennFootball said:

Couple of factors. Biggest one being that Mt. Pleasant is closer to where Hartsfield is from. Secondly, he's got a much better chance at winning big at MP. Blackman is going nowhere with Oakland and a resurgent Riverdale in their district, that's not to say winning a title would be easy at MP but its not the daunting task it will be at Blackman. Their window closed when Master Teague graduated

I agree we have seen a stronger Riverdale team than in a good while, but keep in mind ther rezoning coming that way with the new hig school opening over there. The other thing to point out is that the Riverdale feeder in Whitworth Buchann will split with Riverdale. Whitworth had its strongest year 3 years ago ,but has not been able to replicate since. 

Blackman will be fine in the next two years, especially if the change of coaches, impacts a broader scope than top tier. This first year will be interesting to see if discipline and positive attitude return to the field. 

17 hours ago, MidTennFootball said:

Take this with a grain of salt since I dont know the man personally.... However, I think he's happy where he's at the moment but do think he'd leave if the right job came open. If he hangs around long enough, he will probably be Creasy's replacement (or should be) when he leaves for greener pastures.

On its own, Blackman is a great job; solid demographics, strong community support in a growing area. As you pointed out though, trying to deal with Oakland and Riverdale makes this job much harder to attract a high profile coach. 

Also to Blackman's credit, they've only made one change directly related to on the field. I think David Watson is a great great line coach, but squandering the kind of talent he had when Oakland was vulnerable-ish in 2017 was pretty bad

Jackson has  loyalty and a good relationship with Creasy. We were hoping he would come back and take over Trousdale last year. With a small child to think of, I think he knows he has a sweet deal right now.

As for the Blackmon coach, everything I heard was that he was overrated and had zero discipline. 

4 hours ago, jimmycrackedthatcorn said:

Jackson has  loyalty and a good relationship with Creasy. We were hoping he would come back and take over Trousdale last year. With a small child to think of, I think he knows he has a sweet deal right now.

As for the Blackmon coach, everything I heard was that he was overrated and had zero discipline. 

Pros: He's very good when it comes to x's and o's and very Innovative. He's also very good at getting players and fans excited.

Cons: Discipline. His North Jackson teams were VERY undisciplined which is perhaps why his record there wasn't very good. If he brings Matt Daniels and other Ravenwood coaches with him, you can expect to have one of the most undisciplined teams in the state. Empowering players can be good, but it can also be a Hughe negative.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1