Best Players to Ever Play

westtn12

5 hours ago, WilleTheWildcat said:

This maybe just an urban legend but I think I read somewhere that either Meigs or South Greene was returning from a game in which they played poorly and the Coach got so mad thinking about the game he made the players get off the bus and walk the rest of the way home.

As I said, I don't know if that is true.

I used to listen to Oak Ridge games (still do) from the Greene County Bank tournaments. Those were not just run of the mill games. Many involved Nationally Ranked Out of State teams vs. Nationally Ranked Tennessee teams....Those were GREAT TIMES!

Larry Neil Ricker, South Greene's legendary coach, was driven and expected much from his players. While he could be animated during timeouts, I doubt very much he would have dropped off any players. Sounds like hyperbole that someone may have invented to exaggerate his exuberance. A few years after SG won titles in the late 80s, I had the chance to talk to some of his former players. They admired him and were grateful for the opportunity to play for South Greene.

Oak Ridge has played numerous times in the Ladies Classic in Greeneville. Recent players easy to remember: Bookend guards Jada and Jamie. I didn't forget Mykia. The Bristol TV station featured her playing for East Tennessee State. Tough players all.

Edited by Americal198
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, WilleTheWildcat said:

When I was teaching at Woodmore Elementary in Chattanooga, I drove down Venus Lacy Parkway twice everyday. She must have been special for Brainerd High. Another street in the same area is Usher Raymond Parkway next to Dalewood Middle School. Two talented kids from a small area.

I often watch the kids while they play and wonder about their backgrounds. This post of yours strikes a chord. 

5 hours ago, summit said:

Seen all these players mentioned . Just want to say Ginger Jared from White Co has to near the top . Led White Co to finals of State back to back years ,  Then played 4 years for Vandy . Used to nickname her Dr J .

Jared was our best PG ever. She was voted MVP of the state tourney in 1992 when White County LOST to Shelbyville. That says a lot right there.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2021 at 5:18 PM, WilleTheWildcat said:

Has anybody put the name Courtney McDaniel of Tennessee High (Bristol) in this thread? I watched her practice and play many AAU games with the Tennessee Stars. She was tough on the inside. I believe a CoachT poster ( a Knox. Catholic supporter ) helped coach her to an AAU National Championship with the TN Stars.

Other players on the team were Ashley Shield and Abi Ramsey.

I’ve really enjoyed reading this entire thread and it brings back great memories. I had the privilege of coaching many of these girls for the Tennessee Stars over the years or practice with/against many of the others in our program. Courtney McDaniel was a beast at the high school level. She also was dominant in track winning the Pentathalon. Geno Auriemma was all over us at the AAU Nationals to get her to visit UConn. Surprised none of the South Greene fans have mentioned Susan Starnes. She was an unstoppable high school player that passed on big time D1 offers to stay home and play at Tusculum where she was a 3 time All-American scoring almost 3,000 points and becoming the leading scorer in NAIA history. So many great shooters have been mentioned that could fill it up from 3.

Thanks for starting this fantastic thread!

10 hours ago, IrishBBall said:

I’ve really enjoyed reading this entire thread and it brings back great memories. I had the privilege of coaching many of these girls for the Tennessee Stars over the years or practice with/against many of the others in our program. Courtney McDaniel was a beast at the high school level. She also was dominant in track winning the Pentathalon. Geno Auriemma was all over us at the AAU Nationals to get her to visit UConn. Surprised none of the South Greene fans have mentioned Susan Starnes. She was an unstoppable high school player that passed on big time D1 offers to stay home and play at Tusculum where she was a 3 time All-American scoring almost 3,000 points and becoming the leading scorer in NAIA history. So many great shooters have been mentioned that could fill it up from 3.

Thanks for starting this fantastic thread!

Susan Starnes was a great player for South Greene, as were many others. It's difficult naming any number of great players, only to leave out someone. 

A couple of things I will say about Susan: She is in the Tusculum University Hall of Fame and her #42 Tusculum jersey is retired.

I'd say that Monica Dillon from Coffee County (mid-late 90's era) deserves a mention if we are talking about the "best to ever play" in TN. I've rarely seen anyone since who played as tough. She played tough under a tough coach at Coffee, and went on to play four years for Kay Yow, one of the most highly regarded Women's college coaches of all time, with several NCAA tourney appearances, and an NCAA Final Four appearance. Can't say positively, but I think she also logged some time playing professionally somewhere or other. When you watched her play- you just knew she was a rare talent!

• Like 1

I second Ashley McElhiney from Gleason (All-SEC point guard at Vanderbilt) and Michelle Street from Bradford (All-American at Union later). Those two players had skill and grit. They'd run through a brick wall for their team. And both were undersized. Both led their teams to state championships without size and faced bigger and more athletic teams along the way. 

Those Gleason vs. Bradford games from 1990-1999 were something else. I know Jackson County and Clarkrange have had some battles and Gibson County and Greenfield of late, but I'd put those Bradford and Gleason teams up against any team that I've seen since 1999. It was the defensive pressure and intensity. Great teams folded under the pressure. I miss seeing that kind of defense played.