Maryville Fans.....

chs1984

On 2/13/2021 at 5:43 PM, BarneySox2007 said:

John Olive is a great guy. Maryville went into a decline for many reasons in the end of Coach Story's last years at the controls. Back then there were only three or four coaches and not a dozen plus like now days. Maryville went out an hired ex Oak Ridge coach Emory Hale and by the end of the season Emory was let go over being accused of being to rough with the players, one grabbing facemask. This sort of caused a civil war inside the fan base and when Coach Olive was hired it seems to me there were no other considerations or applications taken which really divided the fans. Maybe John left because of the pressure to produce better at Maryville had to be something else plus being from there also made it even worse. Personally John made the right choice and the people of Tullahoma got a good coach and someone they like very well or he wouldn't have lasted this long. Hamontree was a good coach and that 98 team was one of the best I've ever seen. I do know he don't make friends very easy and a lot of other teachers that were around during that time had no use for him which surprised me to hear that at time. I didn't know him that well but people talk once someone is gone. I didn't expect what was to come when GQ took over but the start of the 2000 season there was a for sale signs ( Not Me) being put in his yard after the first 4 games that year were loses. After that the rest has been history. Far as Hamontree goes his kids were entering college and moving to Georgia helped in that situation. I hate what he has went through at Heritage and a much better coach than his record. Getting players out for football is hard when you have to compete with the kids now days wanting to be adults when they turn 16 and need that truck and a job to pay for it.

My understanding is that Coach Hale made the wrong guys run the hill. 

15 hours ago, Lost Old Dad said:

Coach Olive is respected by LOTS of folks in this State he does not know about.  

For me it is because of a couple assistant Coaches he has hired over the years.

The second reason is for having a really good Booster Club that turns out some of the best Hamburgers at a concession stand I have ever eaten.

Coach Olive was at Loudon in 1983 and was a big reason that team went 12-1 and defeated a good Maryville team! He was very well respected and liked by all the students and players! Due to cutbacks in budget he was let go by a very political school board and that didn't sit very well with students. Students actually protested to the school board but it done no good. Loudon let a great man, coach and teacher walk away! Congratulations coach on a great career, I'm sure you have touched many lives of students and players ! From the 1983 REDSKINS thank you !!

• Like 2

Biggest difference maker I've seen at Maryville during the past 25 years is the weight room, expansion of the coaching staff, players only playing on one side of the ball which wore most teams out that had kids going both ways, an explosive offensive just not seen around here at the time, hiring of some great staff members over the years, substituting of many players each game which has always helped Maryville reload every year instead of rebuild. That last one is why I preferred GQ over Hamontree. Most schools that have followed that recipe have done well over the years.

• 7 months later...

The only letters my old coach at Maryville High ever tinkered with was the ones that the teachers sent out to your parents letting them know your butt was failing during the middle of the semester. Although he was trying to keep mom and dad from pulling little Johnny off the team for punishment he did bring it to your attention and run your tail end off at practice for it. He would make you wish that letter did go home to your parents.

On 2/16/2021 at 2:06 PM, Lost Old Dad said:

Coach Olive is respected by LOTS of folks in this State he does not know about.  

For me it is because of a couple assistant Coaches he has hired over the years.

The second reason is for having a really good Booster Club that turns out some of the best Hamburgers at a concession stand I have ever eaten.

This is the first time I have run across a LOD post since his passing. Brought a tear to my eye.