8 man teams

vandyfan13

11 minutes ago, blazer1set said:

Modern offenses are essentially 7 on 7 anyway.   Let me explain....    Most teams line up with a one-back set (5 linemen + QB + RB = 7) and send the other 4 out wide to spread out the defense but mostly to just get the other defenders out of the way and away from the play...   On running plays it is then 7 on 7.     Yeah, some high schools can do pass plays okay but for the most part the skill levels needed to consistently toss and catch are just not there for the average high school.

Personally I miss the days of old school football, i.e., the wishbone, the option, 2 tight end sets, etc.   Back then every guy was involved in every play, not just sent out as a WR to spread the defense.    Well this is just an old guy's thoughts on it, but that is worth the price of admission, huh?  

Now your talking my language. I'm one of the oldies to. Like all those offenses your talking about plus the single wing we ran at South Pittsburg. I'm talking about the real single wing with the blocking back. Everyone had an assignment on every play to make it work. 

1 hour ago, blazer1set said:

Modern offenses are essentially 7 on 7 anyway.   Let me explain....    Most teams line up with a one-back set (5 linemen + QB + RB = 7) and send the other 4 out wide to spread out the defense but mostly to just get the other defenders out of the way and away from the play...   On running plays it is then 7 on 7.     Yeah, some high schools can do pass plays okay but for the most part the skill levels needed to consistently toss and catch are just not there for the average high school.

Personally I miss the days of old school football, i.e., the wishbone, the option, 2 tight end sets, etc.   Back then every guy was involved in every play, not just sent out as a WR to spread the defense.    Well this is just an old guy's thoughts on it, but that is worth the price of admission, huh?  

If it makes you feel better, we're an option team (albeit spread) and most of the teams out here in MO, KS, IA and especially NE are very run heavy.

the issue you're gonna have(for the most part) is the sheer distance a lot of these small schools(i did the rough math and if EVERY school around 260kids or less[which is like 21 schools]) would have to travel if they went 8 man, some of these districts would look more like D2 regions travel wise which would take a LOT out of some of the really small schools to go and find opponents on an 8-9 game schedule unless you mix privates and publics together(which you're gonna have pushback on that) besides schools like Pickett and RBS will be fighting to keep 11 man anyway in spite of their records over the last few years.

Edited by BobcatFan22
nope

1 minute ago, jimmycrackedthatcorn said:

Isn't Webb ( in Wartrace) 8 man? 

Rbs and Pickett should both go to 8 man. 

Webb was, they moved up to 11 a couple of years ago. And I fully agree on RBS and Pickett, I think they absolutely need to make the move. Playing up 8th graders regularly is not smart, safe or sustainable.

4 hours ago, BobcatFan22 said:

the issue you're gonna have(for the most part) is the sheer distance a lot of these small schools(i did the rough math and if EVERY school around 260kids or less[which is like 21 schools]) would have to travel if they went 8 man, some of these districts would look more like D2 regions travel wise which would take a LOT out of some of the really small schools to go and find opponents on an 8-9 game schedule unless you mix privates and publics together(which you're gonna have pushback on that) besides schools like Pickett and RBS will be fighting to keep 11 man anyway in spite of their records over the last few years.

I agree on distance unfortunately, especially early on.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, vandyfan13 said:

Webb was, they moved up to 11 a couple of years ago. And I fully agree on RBS and Pickett, I think they absolutely need to make the move. Playing up 8th graders regularly is not smart, safe or sustainable.

I agree on distance unfortunately, especially early on.

Pickett also had 2 girls on their team. One was a lineman and not half bad. 

7 hours ago, jimmycrackedthatcorn said:

Pickett also had 2 girls on their team. One was a lineman and not half bad. 

we've only ever had 1 girl(Sam Harden) on our team and she at one point played every position except Kicker/Punter for us; no clue why you think 2 were on our team(outside of someone putting "Erin" Reagan down instead of Aaron Reagan); also i can pretty much tell ya  RBS and PC would rather drop football than go 8 man, too much stress financially to set up for 8 man and do a full schedule(unless it's scrimmages against other schools JV who converted over to play 8 man games) so yeah... moot point

14 hours ago, BobcatFan22 said:

we've only ever had 1 girl(Sam Harden) on our team and she at one point played every position except Kicker/Punter for us; no clue why you think 2 were on our team(outside of someone putting "Erin" Reagan down instead of Aaron Reagan); also i can pretty much tell ya  RBS and PC would rather drop football than go 8 man, too much stress financially to set up for 8 man and do a full schedule(unless it's scrimmages against other schools JV who converted over to play 8 man games) so yeah... moot point

I'm not sure how painting your field slightly different is too much stress financially? Technically, you'd save paint actually. You don't have to move the goal posts or anything, we never have. if anyone kicks an extra points (rare), you just have them kick from the endzone.

18 hours ago, BobcatFan22 said:

I was going by the roster. It did say Erin. My apologies. 

9 minutes ago, WarEagleCartman said:

A few years ago Sacred Heart in Jackson won some kind of national championship in 8 man. They announced I think a few months after the championship they'd be switching to 11 man and joining the tssaa. I never heard anything else about them. 

They never did. You’re correct about everything, but that was it. They still do 8-man though, which is cute.