Greenback 2021

orngnblk

2 hours ago, Shadroach said:

Disagree on Willis. He was a freak in 1A  but maybe just above average in 5-6A. As far as the State Championship game GB was dominated on both sides of the ball and faced a team that wanted it more than them. Willis was a non-factor the whole game. The box scores do not lie.

Not trying to call anybody out but also can't let history be revised either. 20+ other players were on the field that day and it is absurd to say one player made the difference between victory and defeat.

Other than you misunderstanding my post.I do agree with this one.Willis going out before the half with a broke ankle didnt help our chances either tho.They were the better team.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, orngnblk said:

We have a Very good Meigs team coming in Fri at 6:30 to show us what we have or dont have.Supposed to be a game type scrimmage.I just hope we dont get any major injuries.We are young---VERY young.3 or 4 Srs and 3 Jrs.Also just 3 Freshman if I heard correctly.(Lost our best returning skill player to Alcoa).Have near 30 total.Most are Sophomore and Eighth graders.I heard a few Eighth graders will play alot.Line play has me worried no depth at all.Have a very good TB that played injured most of the year and was moved to the QB position but will be returning to TB with Workman a Sophomore that will be outstanding if he can stay healthy.We have a new unproven Coach,so we are flying blind.Excited but also kinda worried.

I know you guys always play 8th graders.  Do you not have a junior high/middle school team that plays other schools in the area?

3 minutes ago, PiRaTe._.MiKe said:

I know you guys always play 8th graders.  Do you not have a junior high/middle school team that plays other schools in the area?

We have a rec league.They play in the Maryville league.I think they play till 7th grade.We used to have a "Jrs" team of 7th and 8th graders when we were in the Sequoia league.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, PiRaTe._.MiKe said:

Do you think it hurts you or helps you?  Or does it even matter either way?  

When you have a kid like Bubba and the Duggan kid in 8th grade that makes your varsity better it helps,but I would rather kids that young play in a league where their skills can improve with alot of plays.But at least they can practice and play with the varsity either way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, orngnblk said:

When you have a kid like Bubba and the Duggan kid in 8th grade that makes your varsity better it helps,but I would rather kids that young play in a league where their skills can improve with alot of plays.But at least they can practice and play with the varsity either way.

That is true.  I’d rather see them play with own age group but if they aren’t gaining anything then by all means move them up.  

3 hours ago, PiRaTe._.MiKe said:

That is true.  I’d rather see them play with own age group but if they aren’t gaining anything then by all means move them up.  

Jr high can help but not always. Our Jr high was a dynasty but it certainly didn’t translate into high school. If both programs work together it can be a tremendous asset but when the middle school and high school are fundamentally at odds then not so much. 

1 hour ago, crow said:

Jr high can help but not always. Our Jr high was a dynasty but it certainly didn’t translate into high school. If both programs work together it can be a tremendous asset but when the middle school and high school are fundamentally at odds then not so much. 

Yes that is so true.  Several several several years now our jr high has run the same offense and defense as the high school.  I’m not sure the style we run now in high school will be easy for jr high and below to comprehend.  It has a lot of moving parts which all tell the offense what to run.

6 hours ago, PiRaTe._.MiKe said:

Yes that is so true.  Several several several years now our jr high has run the same offense and defense as the high school.  I’m not sure the style we run now in high school will be easy for jr high and below to comprehend.  It has a lot of moving parts which all tell the offense what to run.

If there is good cooperation between the 2 programs then I’m sure at the very least some basic principles and terminology can be used at the middle school level. It helps a whole lot.