2021 Single A Discussion

Rockstar89

25 minutes ago, clifford20 said:

At large is a terrible idea. Can you imagine?  Let’s say the best team loses but they get to move on anyway?  Then they End up playing the same team again and beating them…would be awful.   Again I’ve never seen a 3rd place team good enough to go win the state, but this year could be it 

Just find a way to put the 8 best teams in there. Let 'em battle. Lose two and you are gone - but at least get them there to compete. This year not only are you gonna have a 3rd place team good enough to take it all, but by the numbers you are gonna have one even farther down the line. It really breaks my heart thinking about the kids in the Nolensville/Brentwood discussion.  One of these top rated teams in the state is not even gonna make it to the Region tournament, much less the state? Its just downright ludicrous. I really feel for those kids and will definitely have my eye on this game tomorrow night!

1 hour ago, Jaychapman said:

Summertown 3 Loretto 2 what a game / Loretto much improved - wouldn’t want play either 

And assuming they will get to do it again next week, too!

Hickman County beat Harpeth 3-0 in three close sets in the D10 championship. They really have their number. Thats the 3rd time this season. Way too many mistakes for the Lady Indians. They will now have a tough "win or go home" 1st round Region game vs. either Camden or Jo Byrns.

16 minutes ago, Rockstar89 said:

And assuming they will get to do it again next week, too!

Hickman County beat Harpeth 3-0 in three close sets in the D10 championship. They really have their number. Thats the 3rd time this season. Way too many mistakes for the Lady Indians. They will now have a tough "win or go home" 1st round Region game vs. either Camden or Jo Byrns.

Don’t see either beating Camden and Loretto and Summertown better be on their A game - just my opinion 

This happens in every single district/conference in the country.  Most states if you lose once you are done.  In Tn you can lose multiple times in the state tournament (districts forward) and be a state champ. I don’t love that.  If you lose in the district and finish 3rd. You were not good enough.  There is only one district in the state imo that this is a real possibility.  Let’s not change everything for that one situation.  Love the debate tho. Good convo 

8 hours ago, Cashmeout said:

Which region may I ask would you eliminate?  Just because you "think" a 3rd place district tournament team could win another district doesn't make it so. South Greene, CSAS, Sale Creek. All pretty solid in the East

I'm not saying eliminate any regions...I just love the convo...Look west...Its usually the west/Memphis schools that come in with great records but don't get past 10 points in any set of the tourney. 

I don't know who CSAS is, but South Greene and Sale Creek certainly belong even though honestly speaking they have very little competition to get to state. When was the last time either lost a match in their respective District or Region?  Theres very little competition at all. Those two teams particularly (and Watertown) can mark on their calendar every year a trip to the state tournament. The coach probably books the hotel rooms out a year in advance its that certain. Don't get me wrong. South Greene has been state runner ups probably 5 times. Sale Creek & Watertown have competed for a title a couple of years. I don't want to see any competitive team ousted - they belong, they are good squads! I'm just saying if the geography changed or if there was another layer to the tourney it sure would make things more interesting. 

Edited by Rockstar89

14 hours ago, Jaychapman said:

Don’t see either beating Camden and Loretto and Summertown better be on their A game - just my opinion 

Jay - Camden lost last night in the District championship to Jo Byrns. The second time they lost to them this season. They have a 6'2 middle signed to Trevecca that apparently gave them fits. So the Region 5A tourney will be:

Jo Byrns vs. Harpeth

and

Camden vs. Hickman County 

Harpeth and Jo Byrns havent played this year, but they have played the last several years in Region with Harpeth coming out on top. Camden and Hickman County split this season. Will be an interesting tourney! Sounds like regardless, S'Town and Loretto are no doubt ready to battle whoever makes it out of that region. 

Edited by Rockstar89

1 hour ago, Rockstar89 said:

Jay - Camden lost last night in the District championship to Jo Byrns. The second time they lost to them this season. They have a 6'2 middle signed to Trevecca that apparently gave them fits. So the Region 5A tourney will be:

Jo Byrns vs. Harpeth

and

Camden vs. Hickman County 

Harpeth and Jo Byrns havent played this year, but they have played the last several years in Region with Harpeth coming out on top. Camden and Hickman County split this season. Will be an interesting tourney! Sounds like regardless, S'Town and Loretto are no doubt ready to battle whoever makes it out of that region. 

That’s what I get for listening to Nolensville coach / Summertown a tick off last couple weeks hope get that killer instinct back let teams hang around to long - may bite us in rear down the road - tend play up or down depending on competition 

On 10/11/2021 at 9:10 PM, Jaychapman said:

Summertown 3 Loretto 1 close for the most part - hard schedule pays off in the end for Summertown 

Long night of volleyball at Jo Byrns for the Region 5-A tourney…

Harpeth defeats Jo Byrns 3-2. A great match in an electric atmosphere.

Camden defeats Hickman County 3-1.  They had played close in all meetings this season but this one was all Camden.

Camden defeats Harpeth 3-1 in championship with all close sets. Another great tourney atmosphere for the nightcap.

So on Thursday for sectionals Harpeth will travel to Summertown and Camden will host Loretto. Good luck to all!

8 hours ago, Rockstar89 said:

Long night of volleyball at Jo Byrns for the Region 5-A tourney…

Harpeth defeats Jo Byrns 3-2. A great match in an electric atmosphere.

Camden defeats Hickman County 3-1.  They had played close in all meetings this season but this one was all Camden.

Camden defeats Harpeth 3-1 in championship with all close sets. Another great tourney atmosphere for the nightcap.

So on Thursday for sectionals Harpeth will travel to Summertown and Camden will host Loretto. Good luck to all!

Oddity if Summertown Loretto and Lawrenceburg win Thursday Lawrence Co have 3 teams from same County / not odd for Williamson but for most it is