What is going on over there

Kruger77

33 minutes ago, Tomcatfan2011 said:

What is going on at Liberty tech??? Season is 4 weeks away pretty much and they only have 16 players??? I’m not a fan of Liberty but had major respect for them as a program when Hookfin and turner were at the reigns! What is going on smh 

Name me a coach that can turn around that program in an instant? What’s going on at Liberty is a 5 year rebuild. Last season was more of “just get through the season” for anybody in America. Now, they have to get back to the basics and instruct the game of football. It’s going to be rough, I get that. 
However, let’s not forget, their previous coach got his offense off a video game. Liberty got what they asked for, and now, they’re paying the price. 

28 minutes ago, TryNotToSuck said:

Name me a coach that can turn around that program in an instant? What’s going on at Liberty is a 5 year rebuild. Last season was more of “just get through the season” for anybody in America. Now, they have to get back to the basics and instruct the game of football. It’s going to be rough, I get that. 
However, let’s not forget, their previous coach got his offense off a video game. Liberty got what they asked for, and now, they’re paying the price. 

Humboldt is going through the same thing. Have what 3 or 4 open dates. The handful that play pretty much runs the show. Can’t run a program like that. 

9 hours ago, TryNotToSuck said:

I get the rebuild but to only have 16 players show up is just bad

12 hours ago, Tomcatfan2011 said:

I get the rebuild but to only have 16 players show up is just bad

Agreed. No 4A team in Tennessee should have fewer than 32 players on a team, let alone 16.

Nobody is going to think about this, but there was no Middle School football last year in Jackson. We have to flashback to this time last year. We didn't even know if there would be a football season. Everyone figured we would be lucky to see a game in October.

With that being said, this upcoming freshman class in Madison County, has not played a football game in 22 months. That is enough amount of time for those kids to lose interest in the sport, have another desire or sport to play. With that being said, those players fundamentals is simply not ready enough to play on Friday nights. Also, JCM already has about 15-20 players on their team. Some of those kids could be suiting up at Liberty this fall if it wasn't for JCM.

However, what's going on at Liberty is Liberty's problem. While they have 16 players, South Side is still around the 60-75 mark, and North Side is at the 75-90+ mark. I haven't heard there was a drop off at those two schools. It's the same situation for baseball at Liberty. While they have 12-15 players, South Side, Madison, and North Side all have around 20-25. So this is a Liberty problem, and not a JMCSS school system problem.

21 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

Humboldt is going through the same thing. Have what 3 or 4 open dates. The handful that play pretty much runs the show. Can’t run a program like that. 

Agreed. If Humboldt wants to be successful in football, they have to make a commitment to Coach Pettigrew. A new Fieldhouse, concession stand, and a new stadium is a necessity for the Vikings. Because they haven't kept to par with the other Gibson County schools.

23 minutes ago, TryNotToSuck said:

Agreed. If Humboldt wants to be successful in football, they have to make a commitment to Coach Pettigrew. A new Fieldhouse, concession stand, and a new stadium is a necessity for the Vikings. Because they haven't kept to par with the other Gibson County schools.

Culture changed at Humboldt about 6 or 7 years ago. No interest in football. I am actually surprised they hadn’t folded by now. 

On 7/13/2021 at 8:17 PM, TryNotToSuck said:

Agreed. No 4A team in Tennessee should have fewer than 32 players on a team, let alone 16.

Nobody is going to think about this, but there was no Middle School football last year in Jackson. We have to flashback to this time last year. We didn't even know if there would be a football season. Everyone figured we would be lucky to see a game in October.

With that being said, this upcoming freshman class in Madison County, has not played a football game in 22 months. That is enough amount of time for those kids to lose interest in the sport, have another desire or sport to play. With that being said, those players fundamentals is simply not ready enough to play on Friday nights. Also, JCM already has about 15-20 players on their team. Some of those kids could be suiting up at Liberty this fall if it wasn't for JCM.

However, what's going on at Liberty is Liberty's problem. While they have 16 players, South Side is still around the 60-75 mark, and North Side is at the 75-90+ mark. I haven't heard there was a drop off at those two schools. It's the same situation for baseball at Liberty. While they have 12-15 players, South Side, Madison, and North Side all have around 20-25. So this is a Liberty problem, and not a JMCSS school system problem.

I agree with everything you stated except this. A short time ago Liberty was the class of West Tn. football, they had pretty much everything needed to be successful, except the support of the governing body. They were known for having two exceptional coaches back to back, large numbers of talented athletes, and deep playoff runs every season...they were also known for having the "worst" facilities around and no support. It's pretty well accepted that the coaches left for greener pastures because of this, and that the subsequent failure to hire an adequate replacement lies in the lap of the administration because of indifference to the Crusaders' situation. Liberty Tech was the darling of JMCSS from it's inception, and deep playoff runs in athletics followed very quickly, until nobody in administration cared enough to support them any longer. Now JCM is dropping coin for coaches, and allowing them to staff the entire faculty with assistants, while Liberty is changing into uni's in the broom closet. Last I checked, JCM and Liberty are in the same system, and Liberty's problem is not only JMCSS's problem... they ARE Liberty's problem.

On 7/13/2021 at 8:17 PM, TryNotToSuck said:

It gets to a point where kids are more afraid of being ridiculed for being on a "bad" football team, rather than believing they can be the difference. When the program isn't taken seriously the players that take football seriously leave and the athletes left don't want to sign up for what they feel will be a laughing stock.

Hard to bounce back from.

none of you are wrong on your accounts

no one is 100% correct or has all the answers either, sadly

but just think about all of these things factoring into one school

and a graduating class that made up almost half of last years team, those things are difficult to navigate 

everything I’ve read on this thread is pretty accurate

Liberty won 4 games last year…TOTAL…all sports combined

of course there are several kids with talent in the school, but they also have dozens of other things needing their attention outside the school setting

there just doesn’t seem to be enough talent grouped together on any one particular sport right now

Covid was and is a huge factor, like it or not

i personally believe TRANSPORTATION is a huge issue facing Liberty students and athletics

Anyway, best of luck to all your teams

i hope & pray Liberty’s kids get to have a season

the upperclassmen have been through so much

Edited by dhstennis