D2 AAA

plato

4 hours ago, LouPickney said:

Big win for the Irish tonight. Their ability to pressure MUS QB #7 made a big difference. Good play from the corners as well.

Looking ahead to next week, Father Ryan has to find ways to pressure McCallie QB #14. His accuracy on long passes is part of why the Blue Tornado are so difficult to defend.

The problem is that McCallie's OL is also very good. I think there are tactical measures to be learned from what Clearwater International did on defense with its LB blitzes early in the game.

But it won't be easy.

A decisive win for Pope Prep as well tonight. JP2 at Brentwood Academy next Friday intrigues me. It's the only matchup out of the Div. II-AAA quarterfinal games that won't be a rematch from the regular season.

Ryan has some good momentum heading into this game with McCallie. Unfortunately for Ryan, they don't have the same type of skill set of Clearwater nor do they have the ability by the DL to apply pressure. Much of the success of LB blitzes is help set up by a dominant DL. 

Ryan has a skilled QB with the ability to burn you if overlooked. 

Pope vs BA is the game of the week. Pope has the offense to match most anyone, but their D is a dumpster fire. 

Baylor/MBA.... Baylor will have to improve from what they showed vs Ensworth to have a chance. 

On 11/6/2021 at 6:24 AM, plato said:

Ryan has a skilled QB with the ability to burn you if overlooked. 

Pope vs BA is the game of the week. Pope has the offense to match most anyone, but their D is a dumpster fire. 

Baylor/MBA.... Baylor will have to improve from what they showed vs Ensworth to have a chance. 

I thought of Matthew Derrick as more of a runner than passer.  He is a good athlete.

Pope "dumpster fire" - can confirm.  Last year in round 2 against BA, Pope had the ball inside the BA 30 late in the game with a chance to win it.  Montiel (now at Miss St) playing baseball was the best player on the field and difference maker.

I do not know of two more Jekyll & Hyde teams then Baylor and Ensworth.

58 minutes ago, oldwiseone said:

Teams that should concern McCallie - (1) Father Ryan (2) Baylor (3) MBA. While I feel McCallie is way ahead when it comes to overall talent, on any given night, with the right motivation, any of these three teams could pull the upset.

Way to go out on a limb…

• Like 1

Predictions for tonight: 

MBA will be all over Baylor. Baylor ends another season with high expectations and low outcomes, again. 

Briarcrest will squeak out a W over CBHS. CBHS shows they can play with the best in the West, but can't get it done in the end. 

McCallie wins of FR. Father Ryan hangs in there early, but McCallie is just too good and has weapons all over the field. 

BA upset by Pope Prep- A crazy finish allows JP2 to end BA's up and down season. 

2 hours ago, plato said:

Predictions for tonight: 

MBA will be all over Baylor. Baylor ends another season with high expectations and low outcomes, again. 

Briarcrest will squeak out a W over CBHS. CBHS shows they can play with the best in the West, but can't get it done in the end. 

McCallie wins of FR. Father Ryan hangs in there early, but McCallie is just too good and has weapons all over the field. 

BA upset by Pope Prep- A crazy finish allows JP2 to end BA's up and down season. 

Baylor is a difficult team to figure out with their talent level.  Do they just lack discipline? Undisciplined going against Coach Marty typically not a good combo.  I like MBA.

CBHS lost to BC by 1 in 2 OT in regular season so I too look for it to be close with CBHS pulling it out. In recent past BC has entered playoffs as possible contender to make the finals but never seems to play well late.

FRHS may not win many region games however they rarely get blown out, except to McCallie in 2nd half of game this year. Agreed, McCallie has too much and will end up with the W.

Pope's D gives me much pause in picking them in any region game.  Early in the year I think they were able to mask some deficiencies however we are late in the season. I have not seen much of BA this year- did watch the 4th quarter against CPA when they had the game won, then lost it and then fumbled at the 1 with a chance to win it as the clock expired. If Pope's O can limit the time the D is on the field and not give BA short fields then they have a chance. I do not think Pope has ever beaten BA so until they do I am going with BA.

• Like 1

Haven't seen either of Briarcrest or CBHS this year, but otherwise, there's not an outcome tonight that would really shock me.

Baylor may have figured out its formula against Ensworth last week--pound RB #34.  44 carries, 250 yards.  That dude is a load.  Stick with that formula, don't get too pass happy they absolutely can win tonight.  MBA is just super conservative...they get behind, they are in trouble.  Have to control clock and win with defense.  MBA has an excellent kicker in Wren Jacobs...wouldn't surprise me if this game came down to FGs.

FRHS has some tough dudes on defense who can really tackle, JP2 has Minchey and a really, really good head coach, BA looks a lot different from when MBA faced them in October, McCallie is McCallie and the Potter story is pretty incredible.  On the doorstep of 3 straight titles...would that match what White has done at BA since Potter left BA?

3 hours ago, Navy21412 said:

Haven't seen either of Briarcrest or CBHS this year, but otherwise, there's not an outcome tonight that would really shock me.

Baylor may have figured out its formula against Ensworth last week--pound RB #34.  44 carries, 250 yards.  That dude is a load.  Stick with that formula, don't get too pass happy they absolutely can win tonight.  MBA is just super conservative...they get behind, they are in trouble.  Have to control clock and win with defense.  MBA has an excellent kicker in Wren Jacobs...wouldn't surprise me if this game came down to FGs.

FRHS has some tough dudes on defense who can really tackle, JP2 has Minchey and a really, really good head coach, BA looks a lot different from when MBA faced them in October, McCallie is McCallie and the Potter story is pretty incredible.  On the doorstep of 3 straight titles...would that match what White has done at BA since Potter left BA?

Why has it taken Baylor so long "to figure this out"? 

McCallie is up 14-0 on Father Ryan, early Q2. Two drives, two TDs for the Blue Tornado offense out of the gate. FRHS narrowly missed a long FG try on its first possession. Though the Irish just got it back on an interception.

It seems NFHS is blocking both BA and MBA from having video in their respective home broadcasts tonight. Unfortunately, if you want to have two NFHS broadcasts going, you need two subscriptions. And it's not exactly seamless to switch between games.

So apparently they won't let BA have video, but they will allow JP2's student version on NFHS to have it. Not exactly the 1080p that BA would've had, for free no less. Or an on-screen clock, for that matter.

Oh well. It's 3-0 Pope Prep Q1.

I couldn't even get Baylor/MBA to load, so I have that audio going via Hippie Radio's webstream. Ditto at last check as well for CBHS/Briarcrest with the video loading problem.