D2 AAA

plato

12 hours ago, LouPickney said:

Really tough start to the second half for Pope Prep, getting tackled in the end zone for a safety.

Just mind boggling.  Pope had a little mo going into HT and received the kick to start the 2nd.  If Pope had any hopes of getting back in the game they were quickly dashed on that play.

4 hours ago, JRB said:

Just mind boggling.  Pope had a little mo going into HT and received the kick to start the 2nd.  If Pope had any hopes of getting back in the game they were quickly dashed on that play.

It's exceedingly rare to see a safety on a kickoff return in modern-day high school football with the automatic touchback rule. You have to willingly run back into the end zone with possession for that to happen.

I just hope Pope's kick returner is okay, as he was down for quite some time after the play.

On the other side of the bracket, MBA QB #12 had a great game against Christian Brothers, connecting on multiple long downfield passes. CBHS had trouble getting its offense going in ways that mirrored the struggles JP2 had against McCallie.

Congratulations to the semifinal winners, and good luck in the state championship game.

Early predictions for the MBA/McCallie game? 

1. How much of an advantage is it for McC for the game to be played in their backyard? Will Chattanooga show up and support the local team? 

2. Does MBA have revenge on their mind from 2019 and an earlier loss in the season?

3. Can McCallie accomplish a 3-peat? 

22 hours ago, JRB said:

If I remember correctly, MBA had McCallie beat and ended up losing by 3.  That game dropped MBA to 1-3 for the season however the Big Red have won 8 straight since.

yes, MBA had a 10 point 4th quarter lead and couldn't close the game out.  There was a head scratcher of a decision to go for it on 4th and 5 at midfield with maybe 5:00 to play and a 4-point lead, and then what looked like a busted play that was swarmed by McCallie.  After McCallie took the lead, MBA was in position to retake the lead deep in McCallie territory and fumbled the snap on a 4th and 1 play.  Was a really sloppy 4th quarter from MBA.  This is a much better MBA defense than the one from that night.  I'm sure it's also a much better McCallie team.  What is so impressive about Potter to me--2 years ago they win running the option.  It was a thing of beauty to watch.  Now last year and this year, they run a totally different offense with the same results.  Potter has just done an incredible job there.

• 2 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, plato said:

This was a dominating performance from McCallie. They seemed to have Reed off his rhythm for the entirety of the game. It's hard to win one gold bowl, but to do win 3 in a row is most impressive. 

Anyone know the reaction from MBA? 

Last night on Twitter, Kreager said the injury was not as serious as it appeared. I have not seen anything today.