D2 AAA

plato

On 12/4/2021 at 7:46 AM, JRB said:

Valid points.  Jonathan Quinn at DA is a very good QB coach - and HC for that matter.  I think right now LA and Trent are hot commodities and are attracting families outside of Nashville, which does not bother me. 

With TD still operating the Elite 11 camp he has a major leg up on the competition when it comes to QB's.  Not that some of the other guys mentioned are not great QB coaches but the kids today and their families are looking for the exposure and TD has national exposure.  TD is able to assist placing kids at various colleges due to his connections all over the country.  

1 hour ago, cbg said:

With TD still operating the Elite 11 camp he has a major leg up on the competition when it comes to QB's.  Not that some of the other guys mentioned are not great QB coaches but the kids today and their families are looking for the exposure and TD has national exposure.  TD is able to assist placing kids at various colleges due to his connections all over the country.  

Without a doubt. 

3 hours ago, Navy21412 said:

Ingle has a lot to offer to any young QB who wants to develop his skill.  My impression watching CPA over the years--the school is pretty content to build its program through the kids who show up on campus as middle schoolers.  Could be wrong about that...seems like the kids I know on this CPA team by and large have all been there since 1st grade.  But if a young QB is out shopping around, and CPA wants to accept him, Ingle would be an excellent QB coach for that kid.

You’re on point. I can remember when we were in Division I and we had to hear about how we recruited every week, but the truth would be 22 of 25 seniors were in school since kindergarten… 

I didn’t look at it closely this year, but typically only about 10 new students are admitted to the high school a year with most of them not being athletes.

Edited by BreadTruck28

2 hours ago, TTate said:

Please explain the “illegitimate” way for those of us in the dark.

Well, for one, you are not allowed to approach or initiate a conversation with a kid without a previous relationship.  I'm not saying he is doing that, but it would be an example.

it's hard for me to believe that a kid choosing to come to LA for a camp does not constitute a relationship but I am not sure any players have even come to LA that way.  plenty of public schools are area all star teams.  it's just the way it is.  kids are attracted to success and schools can say they don't recruit but it doesn't mean they are getting talent through attraction rather than promotion.   Oakland has a starting QB from Riverdale and running backs from Ensworth and BA.  to be clear, I am not saying Oakland did anything wrong.  I think the rules don't create a fair playing field even when they are following them.  success is attractive.

Edited by theawesomebro

1 hour ago, theawesomebro said:

it's hard for me to believe that a kid choosing to come to LA for a camp does not constitute a relationship but I am not sure any players have even come to LA that way.  plenty of public schools are area all star teams.  it's just the way it is.  kids are attracted to success and schools can say they don't recruit but it doesn't mean they are getting talent through attraction rather than promotion.   Oakland has a starting QB from Riverdale and running backs from Ensworth and BA.  to be clear, I am not saying Oakland did anything wrong.  I think the rules don't create a fair playing field even when they are following them.  success is attractive.

Kids want to follow success- for sure. 

9 hours ago, O3t said:

Well, for one, you are not allowed to approach or initiate a conversation with a kid without a previous relationship.  I'm not saying he is doing that, but it would be an example.

I've heard first hand on 2 occasions a parent mention a kid out of state they know that's moving to town and a kid in town that would like a better opportunity where TD said the parents must first contact the school just like any other kid looking to come to the school.  I also agree with the post about success is attractive.  The best "recruiters" are the parents and players that are having a positive experience at the school.  They are constantly talking about how good the program is.  The 7x7 and camp world creates a great venue for fellow players to say, "hey, you're good, come to Lipscomb."  Good players want to shine on good teams.  They also want to win.  It's no different than successful businesses attract the resumes of top graduates.  In addition, the names people reference about out of state "recruits" don't know the family circumstances that moved them here.  Perhaps that would be a great story of its own.  Also, they don't realize that those families that moved to Nashville because it's a great job market researched and toured the schools that typically would have gotten those student athletes.  Creating an accepting culture, a coaching staff and team that's diverse is attractive to all types of families.  I've been in churches for a long time that beat themselves up about the lack of diversity.  It has to be intentional and an administration, Elder/Deacon, leadership team that's reflective of your mission.  Attracting people from all walks of life, economic, religious, racial prepares the student body for the next step and opens the door for student athletes that are not just homegrown in the church that have been there since pre-k.  All this has to be done while holding high standards, but from what I've seen if you set the bar high, the kids will strive with all they have to achieve it.  You want people to join your journey at any stage of life and that goes for your church or your school.  While I love the deep rooted core group of many years, you have to ask yourself why do we not have more families jumping on the train somewhere between pre-k and 12th grade.  I believe a previous poster said something like 20 of 25 CPA seniors were homegrown and nearly lifers at the school.  With the explosion of people moving to Nashville from all walks of life and the growth of wealth you would think there would be a larger group joining the train along the way.  All that said, Lipscomb has a great thing going.  Kids have a greater focus on their grades, the bodies and their souls.  The support structure is being invested in to make it sustainable and I would imagine it will continue to attract a great group of kids.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, O3t said:

Yea...I get that.  Just the post made above about how there is most likely illegal recruiting going on was reckless.  Take the two kids that transferred in this year as seniors that were difference makers....Sam Roush from Northern California and Koa from Virginia Beach.  Sam comes from a well off family whose Dad played at Duke.  Sam's family wanted to relocate to Nashville because of the political environment (as so many are doing).  They visited multiple schools and settled on LA.  Koa's family saw Trent on the 700 club doing an interview and were very impressed....reached out to LA first and made the decision to move.  To think that Trent would make random calls to these two kids to attempt to convince them to move across the country is just silly.  I hate being defensive about the program and I'm sure there are many things to be critical of, but illegalities are not one of them.  Make no mistake, Trent has changed the game in middle Tennessee and other coaches are not happy about it.  He truly runs the program like a college and he is a tireless promoter.   It is hard and if you want to play, you have to be all in.  It is not for everybody, but it does prepare the boys for the next level.  I know this will elicit a bunch of eye rolls, but the diversity that Trent has fostered within the school has been a welcome change and the boys are better off because of it.  I would not trade our experience in a million years to go back to the way is was where all the boys "have been in school together since first grade".  Trent is preparing them for life after high school and it is having a profound impact on the community.   Apologize for the rant and for high jacking the triple A thread....although I have a feeling we'll move up after next year!

Edited by TTate

21 hours ago, BreadTruck28 said:

You’re on point. I can remember when we were in Division I and we had to hear about how we recruited every week, but the truth would be 22 of 25 seniors were in school since kindergarten… 

I didn’t look at it closely this year, but typically only about 10 new students are admitted to the high school a year with most of them not being athletes.

I write this with respect for your school in the absolute center of my motivation. Y'all need to STOP this narrative immediately. I don't think anyone of the dozens of CPA people out there blasting this everywhere have any awareness of how it is coming across. What is being communicated over and over is "We may be losing to Lipscomb now but at least we didn't let all those rough kids in." Your coach gave an interview in Main Street Preps where he actually said it is concerning to him how many kids are on financial aid because academics should come first. Ummm what? Yes, because everyone clearly knows you can't let in kids who can't afford private school AND keep your academic standard up. Do you hear how that sounds? Read the article, the other area coaches were like, No, thank you I don't care to comment on that.  Don't get me wrong. I think your coach is a good guy. But he attended MBA and works at CPA. Not exactly an expert in the underprivileged.  I think CPA's rage over being upended is seriously clouding their ability to see the bigger picture here. The only comeback they have is our guys are "homegrown." Let's not mince words. Our guys are white and wealthy is what you are saying. The world changes and football changes with it. Recruiting and scholarshipping in Div 2 is perfectly legal and NOT a talking point about how unfair it is you lose now. Not that you were specifically saying it was unfair but I can show you lots and lots of social media posts that use it as a total excuse. And to the poster's point above, Lipscomb probably doesn't have to spend much time recruiting when you have something attractive that is getting press. Do you honestly think all those "Homegrown" guys would have come to CPA in the first place years ago if you didn't have a winning reputation.  Like I said, I honestly just want y'all to get off this narrative before it destroys you. Trent Dilfer's interview after the Friday Night Rival game aired on MyTV 30 was the first time I noticed it but it is everywhere I look now. The game had opened with the commentators listing what both teams claimed their strength to be. CPA listed "homegrown" as their strength. He then gave a victory interview talking about how beautifully the Lipscomb student body has embraced diversity and talked out their differences and how that is going to serve them in life when football is over. I was cringing for y'all. This narrative is a disaster and I don't want to see it bring down a program that has had a lot going for it. 

• Like 2