Tyner@Marion

7 hours ago, TynerRamFan said:

Just because MC won last year doesn't mean they will win this year. I think that's what oldfaithful was saying! Everything in bold that you said is the reason why Tyner is doing better but they still have a lot to work on. This game will be a test for both teams and will probably come down to which team commits the fewest errors. 

Good post. In the 08 season, MC was coming into that game with a 1-2 record. First loss was to our rival and the second was a 1 point lost that came down to not converting a 2pt conversion to win the game against a good Boyd team. They picked up a win against Grundy before the Ram train come to town. MC won the game in a dominant fashion, first time beating Tyner since 1995 and that team never looked back. The talent was there, they just needed confirmation that they can play and WIN against the big boys. Coaching also plays a big role as well. 

Same can be said about the 2012 team. Coming off of a 1-9 season the previous year, a new HC and staff won 2 hard fought games against Grundy and Bledsoe to start the year, not great teams at the time but MC was beaten soundly by them in 2011. That team's confidence changed overnight. (This was the Z-trains freshman year for reference) 

I think the winner will get a boost either way but if Tyner wins look out. A talented team that believes in themselves and is clicking at the right time is very hard to beat come playoff time. If the Warriors win, they took care of business and beat a talented and maybe faster overall squad. Iron sharpens Iron!

Edited by oldfaithful
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, oldfaithful said:

Good post. In the 08 season, MC was coming into that game with a 1-2 record. First loss was to our rival and the second was a 1 point lost that came down to not converting a 2pt conversion to win the game against a good Boyd team. They picked up a win against Grundy before the Ram train come to town. MC won the game in a dominant fashion, first time beating Tyner since 1995 and that team never looked back. The talent was there, they just needed confirmation that they can play and WIN against the big boys. Coaching also plays a big role as well. 

Same can be said about the 2012 team. Coming off of a 1-9 season the previous year, a new HC and staff won 2 hard fought games against Grundy and Bledsoe to start the year, not great teams at the time but MC was beaten soundly by them in 2011. That team's confidence changed overnight. (This was the Z-trains freshman year for reference) 

I think the winner will get a boost either way but if Tyner wins look out. A talented team that believes in themselves and is clicking at the right time is very hard to beat come playoff time. If the Warriors win, they took care of business and beat a talented and maybe faster overall squad. Iron sharpens Iron!

Really like this post and when you closed it with scripture, that was all I needed to hear my brother!!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, oldfaithful said:

Great post.  Tyner had a similar turning point in this series and in their confidence in 2017 when the Rams won a shootout with a big comeback late in the regular season game at Marion.  Sophomore receiver Jeremiah Baptiste had a break out game as did Senior QB JB Bowens.  Tyner had lost season opener to a good Ooltewah team and played a horrible game to lose at Signal.  They really came together after the Marion win and never looked back on their way to state runner up including a 3rd round playoff blowout against Marion that was shocking.  
The Warriors turned the tables last year but with a new coaching staff and a new offense I am not sure that last year’s MC win means the series has flipped back completely. There is a small chance these teams could meet again in the playoffs but Meigs, TC and Watertown will have something to say about that.  Can’t wait for Friday night to see how the Rams measure up and respond to this great challenge.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ram4Life said:

Great post.  Tyner had a similar turning point in this series and in their confidence in 2017 when the Rams won a shootout with a big comeback late in the regular season game at Marion.  Sophomore receiver Jeremiah Baptiste had a break out game as did Senior QB JB Bowens.  Tyner had lost season opener to a good Ooltewah team and played a horrible game to lose at Signal.  They really came together after the Marion win and never looked back on their way to state runner up including a 3rd round playoff blowout against Marion that was shocking.  
The Warriors turned the tables last year but with a new coaching staff and a new offense I am not sure that last year’s MC win means the series has flipped back completely. There is a small chance these teams could meet again in the playoffs but Meigs, TC and Watertown will have something to say about that.  Can’t wait for Friday night to see how the Rams measure up and respond to this great challenge.

Should be a great night for football my man...

4 hours ago, TheTruthPrevails said:

Should be a great night for football my man...

I saw a thread about greatest Harriman players earlier you commented on. If you did that for MC most of the locals would say Westmoreland based on his accomplishments in high school and college (3 State Championships and a National Championship at UT). A lot of the old hands would say Eddie Brown. All American and team captain at UT and 2 time Pro Bowler in the NFL. Played in a Super Bowl, 8 career interceptions and led the NFL in kick returns one year I believe. Not bad for a little school I would say. Who would your top 3 be? Saylors would be a good pick but Zeman would as well. Zeman could take over a game on offense or defense a lot of times.

14 hours ago, PurplePower68 said:

I saw a thread about greatest Harriman players earlier you commented on. If you did that for MC most of the locals would say Westmoreland based on his accomplishments in high school and college (3 State Championships and a National Championship at UT). A lot of the old hands would say Eddie Brown. All American and team captain at UT and 2 time Pro Bowler in the NFL. Played in a Super Bowl, 8 career interceptions and led the NFL in kick returns one year I believe. Not bad for a little school I would say. Who would your top 3 be? Saylors would be a good pick but Zeman would as well. Zeman could take over a game on offense or defense a lot of times.

Not sure man, it is a generational thing because we never saw those old heads play.  I could make a top 20, but not top 3.