Catholic @ Powell - Rivalry Thursday

osunut2

3 hours ago, SweetScience said:

At some point you have to place some blame on Lowe for this. His teams are this way perennially it seems.

I have a theory and it’s just that…that he doesn’t really mind it. I get the feeling that he likes that kind of rogue, play with excitement even if it boarders on too much and is willing to accept some penalties in exchange for what he feels it brings.  I feel like he thinks it’s the cost of high energy and the us against the world mentality. Again just my own opinion. 

• Like 1

Just now, Bluegreymom said:

I have a theory and it’s just that…that he doesn’t really mind it. I get the feeling that he likes that kind of rogue, play with excitement even if it boarders on too much and is willing to accept some penalties in exchange for what he feels it brings.  I feel like he thinks it’s the cost of high energy and the us against the world mentality. Again just my own opinion. 

I also feel like his focus is on the talent and the potential and not on the details like discipline. It feels like it’s just not a point of stress for them. Some coaches are super big on things like that and others aren’t. 

1 hour ago, Bluegreymom said:

I also feel like his focus is on the talent and the potential and not on the details like discipline. It feels like it’s just not a point of stress for them. Some coaches are super big on things like that and others aren’t. 

Well, I guess if it means more than winning a title, have at it. He will never win a title with undisciplined teams like he has every year. Just me…

1 hour ago, Bluegreymom said:

My wife was asking me about this last night. I think Matt was more concerned about that stuff during his first stint at Powell, although he wasn't the biggest stickler even then. I understand his tact now, but I don't like it. There's no debating the fact that his kids absolutely love him. He's obviously a player's-type coach, but I'm not convinced that can win championships at this level. It's one thing when you are good enough to overcome that stuff week in and week out, but I don't think they are good enough to do that. In some ways, it's similar to a team that doesn't have a kicker. At some point, you have to make an extra point to win a crucial game.

All of that said, despite the funky body language from Powell throughout most of the first half, there were two things that occurred that were refreshing - Walter Nolen carrying an injured Jayden Collins off the field in the second half, and Matt Lowe stretching out Walter after the defensive score that put Powell ahead late (and the banter that ensued between them). There have been times throughout the year when you get the sense that there are just too many mouths to feed on this Powell team, but those kids really loosened up in the second half. I hope we continue to see that in the playoffs.

I still don't think this team gets to Chattanooga, but you never know. Catholic wasn't going to give up anything deep last night, which allowed Stockton to have maybe his best game of the season, and Potts did a great job in the second half of taking what the defense gave him. Tommy Winton was fun to watch as well. I hate blaming Matt for the final outcome, but the 3rd and 4th down decisions before Catholic's final drive were total head scratchers for me. But I guess if either of those plays work in your favor, my tone would be a lot different.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bluegreymom said:

This is a great perspective BGmom. I think this is exactly this issue over there. They have a ton of fun but they won't win anything significant

Bad decision after bad decision. 

The only way you lose that game was if Catholic blocks a field goal and gets the ball near mid field.  You have to try to punt it out if bounds and pin them deep there. A 45 yard field goal attempt is just going to come off the foot too flat. 

• Like 1

Just a total and complete choke job by Powell. I am not trying to take anything away from Knox Catholic, because they were the better coached team by a mile; however, the ending to that game by Matt Lowe was completely and utterly despicable! Attempting a long field goal that was going to be easily blocked and giving KCHS the opportunity to march down and score to take the game over!

And don't get me started on the Powell defense... but do they even have coaches, do they even practice? They looked like a JV team on that last drive. Disheartening doesn't even cover it!

Looked like a typical Matt Lowe coached team, the good times were rolling when the playmakers were touching the ball but he takes undisciplined football to a whole new level. It turned into the Matt Lowe show during the second half! All we missed was his sideline slide! Where was that??? Oh well, another underachieving playoff run on the horizon for Matt and his towel-waving assistants! Weak! @HTV @osunut2

Edited by FilmCzar
  • Like 1

I turned the TV on right at the start of the 4th quarter and thought it was a heck of a game judging just from that.... but clearly I missed some of the worst parts of the game.  

How many field goals has Powell kicked this season?  Did they decide to let the Monday night unit out on the field for that attempt?  I rarely criticize kids performance on here, and I won't ever single a kid out, but that entire front line looked awful on that play. From the replay they showed on TV, it looked like 6 different Catholic Players were in position to block the kick.

Edited by sx1234

I thought it was a great game of back and forth until the end. In some ways similar to the Central/South Doyle game two Thursdays ago. A lot of good action for three and a half quarters but the ending was botched. I don't know what Catholic was doing on their second to last possession. Then when Powell still had the ball before Catholic's last possession, there was about a minute 40 left to go and on the last play of that drive the QB from Powell sprinted out with room to run but opted to throw and threw it (on a rope) and the clock stopped. Had the QB run it would have taken at least another 40 seconds off the clock maybe even forcing Catholic to start using timeouts. I'm just glad that "interception" that Powell threw didn't impact the game as much as it could have. These Zebras guys!

4 minutes ago, thefox said:

I thought it was a great game of back and forth until the end. In some ways similar to the Central/South Doyle game two Thursdays ago. A lot of good action for three and a half quarters but the ending was botched. I don't know what Catholic was doing on their second to last possession. Then when Powell still had the ball before Catholic's last possession, there was about a minute 40 left to go and on the last play of that drive the QB from Powell sprinted out with room to run but opted to throw and threw it (on a rope) and the clock stopped. Had the QB run it would have taken at least another 40 seconds off the clock maybe even forcing Catholic to start using timeouts. I'm just glad that "interception" that Powell threw didn't impact the game as much as it could have. These Zebras guys!

On that sprint out, Catholic was out of TOs, so that is exactly what he should have done. Maybe he gets the first down and maybe he doesn't. But you at least burn another 40-45 seconds and then you either attempt a shorter FG or you go for it on 4th down.