Cland hosts greenback rd 1

THE KING

1 hour ago, pujo said:

Pot of soup beans,a little fatback   and a pawn of cornbread.

Serious question from someone that is not an East Tennessean. What beans qualify as soup beans, and what is pawn cornbread. I know there are things called “ramps” (sp chk) and they are kinda like collards. I am mainly familiar with Middle and West Tennessee terms.

9 minutes ago, Enthusiast said:

Serious question from someone that is not an East Tennessean. What beans qualify as soup beans, and what is pawn cornbread. I know there are things called “ramps” (sp chk) and they are kinda like collards. I am mainly familiar with Middle and West Tennessee terms.

Pinto or Shelly beans. Pone of cornbread is made in a cast iron skillet. Ramps are a wild mountain onion that'll eek through the pores of your skin for a week and keep all bugs and people away Lol

6 minutes ago, uknoit2 said:

Pinto or Shelly beans. Pone of cornbread is made in a cast iron skillet. Ramps are a wild mountain onion that'll eek through the pores of your skin for a week and keep all bugs and people away Lol

Shelly beans? And I have had cast iron skillet cornbread, just not heard pone. And Sh$t about those ramps!!!! Haha. So vinegar doesn’t mitigate the eeking of toxicity? The key to ramps is, eat a bushel before visiting your mother-in-law, right? If I want to scratch my eyes out listening to her, I want her to feel the burn too!

1 minute ago, Enthusiast said:

Shelly beans? And I have had cast iron skillet cornbread, just not heard pone. And Sh$t about those ramps!!!! Haha. So vinegar doesn’t mitigate the eeking of toxicity? The key to ramps is, eat a bushel before visiting your mother-in-law, right? If I want to scratch my eyes out listening to her, I want her to feel the burn too!

Must be a transplant...ain't no westerner (Tn.) over 30 that don't know shelly beans and what a pone is. Wanna git down to real old timers vittles, put some cracklin's in that pone, some poke salad sallet, morels, pigs feet, and for breakfast you can crack open a fried squirrel's head. Possum is good too, if you put him under a washtub for a few days and feed him some swelled corn!

11 minutes ago, tradertwo said:

Must be a transplant...ain't no westerner (Tn.) over 30 that don't know shelly beans and what a pone is. Wanna git down to real old timers vittles, put some cracklin's in that pone, some poke salad sallet, morels, pigs feet, and for breakfast you can crack open a fried squirrel's head. Possum is good too, if you put him under a washtub for a few days and feed him some swelled corn!

I am late 30’s, from Gordonsville, but have lived near Memphis, in Mississippi and Louisiana. I grew up on a tobacco farm and never heard of Shelly beans or pone. I grown acres and acres of corn, and have ground corn, molasses and cottonseed hulls for steers, but not for possum. I’ve had pig’s feet and ears and scrambled pig brains with eggs. Never eaten a squirrel or possum but have had gator, mud bugs, nutria. I thought I was an outlier when West Tennesseans aggravated me for saying “hose-pipe” (they say only native middle Tennesseans say it) and not water hose. Haha. Every region has its own thing and cultural differences. Good stuff

8 minutes ago, Enthusiast said:

I am late 30’s, from Gordonsville, but have lived near Memphis, in Mississippi and Louisiana. I grew up on a tobacco farm and never heard of Shelly beans or pone. I grown acres and acres of corn, and have ground corn, molasses and cottonseed hulls for steers, but not for possum. I’ve had pig’s feet and ears and scrambled pig brains with eggs. Never eaten a squirrel or possum but have had gator, mud bugs, nutria. I thought I was an outlier when West Tennesseans aggravated me for saying “hose-pipe” (they say only native middle Tennesseans say it) and not water hose. Haha. Every region has its own thing and cultural differences. Good stuff

You will find that there is a lot of food that is the same thing just different names. But sounds like you’ve lived a good life. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Enthusiast said:

You got me on nutria...closest thing I've had is beaver.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tradertwo said:

My oldest got in trouble at school for putting his cornbread in his milk, they thought he was just making a mess. I've had the poke and cracklins, hate both and chitlings is about the most stinking I've ever witnessed. Don't need any opossum either. Squirrel gravy is pretty darn good.

4 hours ago, pujo said:

My oldest got in trouble at school for putting his cornbread in his milk, they thought he was just making a mess. I've had the poke and cracklins, hate both and chitlings is about the most stinking I've ever witnessed. Don't need any opossum either. Squirrel gravy is pretty darn good.

Dad used to make us eat poke salad with scrambled eggs still cant get that taste out my mouth!Squirrel is a delicacy if someone knows how to cook it,tougher than shoe leather if not and cannot  beat it with gravy!Corn bread and milk was a poor kids cereal,I loved it (you can keep the buttermilk tho).Shoot beans and taters and cornbread cant be beat just dont want to eat it on a long ride with GFD!Might even get some football played too.lol

Edited by orngnblk

3 hours ago, orngnblk said:

Dad used to make us eat poke salad with scrambled eggs still cant get that taste out my mouth!Squirrel is a delicacy if someone knows how to cook it,tougher than shoe leather if not and cannot  beat it with gravy!Corn bread and milk was a poor kids cereal,I loved it (you can keep the buttermilk tho).Shoot beans and taters and cornbread cant be beat just dont want to eat it on a long ride with GFD!Might even get some football played too.lol

Hopefully everyone has a safe trip up here.  We'll show everyone respect and hospitality.  Our boys play at a high level of sportsmanship.  The end result of the game doesn't change how we treat our visitors.  Midway was classless and dirty the last 2 times they were up here.  

45 minutes ago, THE KING said:

Hopefully everyone has a safe trip up here.  We'll show everyone respect and hospitality.  Our boys play at a high level of sportsmanship.  The end result of the game doesn't change how we treat our visitors.  Midway was classless and dirty the last 2 times they were up here.  

I had one experience in Greenback (pretty place to play) and everyone there was overly friendly to us. We didn’t know what to expect, going so far into East TN. I expect both teams would be equally respectable, but I was woefully surprised that GB would have someone playing that maybe has a discipline issue…

22 hours ago, THE KING said:

In all seriousness we have no idea how we stack up with anyone from region 2.  We might be overrated and get run off the field.  But our game with unicoi who finished 9-1 gives me hope.  We didn't just beat a 9-1 team,  we shut them out and won by 4 tds.  I think greenback will be the 2nd best team we've faced so far. Hampton being the best

This is a tough game to pick. I’m leaning toward Cloudland but there schedule makes me have second thoughts. The Unicoi win was there best win, but there schedule is not very good ether. This could be the only game region 1 wins.