Potter out at HVA

HTV

22 hours ago, HTV said:

Don't see that happening.  The last guy kept most of the previous staff and that didn't work out so well.  

The definition of insanity is doing the same things over and over again and expecting different results.  

Don't see the current principal doing the same thing again.  

So you anticipate the principal / new HC will be "letting go" of their current assistant coaching staff members?

2 hours ago, coachspanky said:

Him leaving had more to do with family......................

Yeah, they had several small kids and it was kinda rough on her trying to keep all the kids rounded up. They went where they had family help. My husband is just a position coach and we have a lot of young kids and it can be really tough to watch the game and wrangle the kiddos when the hubby can’t really help out. I can’t imagine how Coach Jones’ wife handled everything she did. 

On 11/3/2021 at 12:03 PM, oridgecat said:

You can't just switch people around.  Now days a teacher/coach has to have the state certification/endorsement for the class that they teach.  So, if a coach coming in has a science endorsement, they have to teach science.  The admin can create another science position for that coach if they want, but they can't ask an existing science teacher to resign or teach something else they're not certified to teach just to make room for a new coach.  

In short, the incoming coaches endorsement has to match an open position in  the same subject area.  

Ain't like it used to be, but some admins/school systems are more willing to be creative in helping a new coach bring some of his own guys.  

This is spot on, and something that is taking its toll in Knox County. 

I don't think school admin "undervalue" athletics in Knox County, they are just given a much shorter leash than other counties.  Yes you have to have licenses to teach, but there is a little bit of wiggle room around that.  As long as the coach has a degree, there are types of job-embedded programs that essentially lets the coach go ahead and start teaching and he has a couple of years to get his licenses- usually by taking an online class somewhere and passing a praxis.  It's a bit of a process to apply for these types of licenses, but schools used to do it all the time to get their coaches in the building.  From what I understand, the people downtown still allow this to some degree, but its become much more difficult in Knox county over the last few years.  For the most part, the communities in Knoxville are very supportive of athletics and so are the teachers/ principals inside the building.  However, when you consider that coaches in Knox County get paid less (on average), they don't have a last period Advanced P.E. to go ahead and start workouts, film, practice etc, and that the school board isn't as willing to help get jobs for your assistant coaches, it really makes head coaching jobs in the area less appealing.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, sx1234 said:

This is spot on, and something that is taking its toll in Knox County. 

I don't think school admin "undervalue" athletics in Knox County, they are just given a much shorter leash than other counties.  Yes you have to have licenses to teach, but there is a little bit of wiggle room around that.  As long as the coach has a degree, there are types of job-embedded programs that essentially lets the coach go ahead and start teaching and he has a couple of years to get his licenses- usually by taking an online class somewhere and passing a praxis.  It's a bit of a process to apply for these types of licenses, but schools used to do it all the time to get their coaches in the building.  From what I understand, the people downtown still allow this to some degree, but its become much more difficult in Knox county over the last few years.  For the most part, the communities in Knoxville are very supportive of athletics and so are the teachers/ principals inside the building.  However, when you consider that coaches in Knox County get paid less (on average), they don't have a last period Advanced P.E. to go ahead and start workouts, film, practice etc, and that the school board isn't as willing to help get jobs for your assistant coaches, it really makes head coaching jobs in the area less appealing.

Yep, all true.  Some area schools are on the practice field by 2:15.  Huge advantage.  The waiver period to earn a teaching license used to be a 3 year window.  They don't grant those situations very often these days.  It does make it more difficult for HC's in Knox Co. 

2 hours ago, LEFTYKNOX said:

So you anticipate the principal / new HC will be "letting go" of their current assistant coaching staff members?

As coaches? 

I think he'll let the new coach make some decisions on who stays and who goes.  

And again, coaches are contracted to coach on a year to year basis.  If they are tenured teachers, their teaching jobs aren't affected, so the new coach will have to work within available positions within the KCS system to make hires of guys he wants to bring in.  That's no different from any other time a new coach is hired at a Knox County School.  

1 minute ago, HTV said:

As coaches? 

I think he'll let the new coach make some decisions on who stays and who goes.  

And again, coaches are contracted to coach on a year to year basis.  If they are tenured teachers, their teaching jobs aren't affected, so the new coach will have to work within available positions within the KCS system to make hires of guys he wants to bring in.  That's no different from any other time a new coach is hired at a Knox County School.  

I agree that he will allow for the new coach to have autonomy as he should with who coaches.

The idea of being "tenured" does not offer the same level of protection as it did many moons ago or how it is treated in the Northeast with a more robust teacher union. Now, obviously teachers have protection and will not be let go if they choose not to coach (especially in KCS), but that leads me to my next question.

If your current faculty assistant coaches choose to no longer coach but remain in the building as teachers, what would a HC do to fill his staff without available teaching positions?

8 minutes ago, LEFTYKNOX said:

I agree that he will allow for the new coach to have autonomy as he should with who coaches.

The idea of being "tenured" does not offer the same level of protection as it did many moons ago or how it is treated in the Northeast with a more robust teacher union. Now, obviously teachers have protection and will not be let go if they choose not to coach (especially in KCS), but that leads me to my next question.

If your current faculty assistant coaches choose to no longer coach but remain in the building as teachers, what would a HC do to fill his staff without available teaching positions?

Seems like a question anyone who's applying or interviewing would need to ask before getting themselves into a situation where they're trying to organize a spring practice with 3 coaches or something like that

17 minutes ago, LEFTYKNOX said:

Again, in Knox County it's not uncommon for a coach to teach at a different school (elementary, middle, other high school, alterative school) than the school where they coach.  They go where they have to in order to find a teaching position for their teaching certification.  Plus there are many teaching assistants within the system who are also coaches.  

Teaching and coaching positions are two totally different entities and pay centers.  

2 minutes ago, HTV said:

Again, in Knox County it's not uncommon for a coach to teach at a different school (elementary, middle, other high school, alterative school) than the school where they coach.  They go where they have to in order to find a teaching position for their teaching certification.  Plus there are many teaching assistants within the system who are also coaches.  

Teaching and coaching positions are two totally different entities and pay centers.  

Yes, I understand that you are god's gift to human resources policy at the Knox County Schools but you are missing the forest for the trees. Coaches that are not physically present in the school building and coach at other places do not always have the same level of investment as the coaches that are involved in the school life; thus, often times not making them nearly as valuable to a HC as an in-building assistant. Not to mention, dealing with academics / behavioral issues on a team of over 100 can prove difficult for one man. That is why having good help (in the building) is critical for success. If current coaches were to leave and a new HC did not have in-building assistants or positions for them, it is a total recipe for disaster, in my opinion.