Potter out at HVA

HTV

1 minute ago, LEFTYKNOX said:

Yes, I understand that you are god's gift to human resources policy at the Knox County Schools but you are missing the forest for the trees. Coaches that are not physically present in the school building and coach at other places do not always have the same level of investment as the coaches that are involved in the school life; thus, often times not making them nearly as valuable to a HC as an in-building assistant. Not to mention, dealing with academics / behavioral issues on a team of over 100 can prove difficult for one man. That is why having good help (in the building) is critical for success. If current coaches were to leave and a new HC did not have in-building assistants or positions for them, it is a total recipe for disaster, in my opinion.

You asked, I answered.  

Tell me where I am wrong.  What I said is real in Knox County.  It's not ideal, but it is reality.  Otherwise, most schools would have 3-4 assistant coaches.  

Since you want to be a smart #### about it, welcome to my ignore list.  

3 minutes ago, HTV said:

You asked, I answered.  

Tell me where I am wrong.  What I said is real in Knox County.  It's not ideal, but it is reality.  Otherwise, most schools would have 3-4 assistant coaches.  

Since you want to be a smart #### about it, welcome to my ignore list.  

HTV, 

How many in-building coaches do the following schools. have? Trying to just compare these staffs, I think it's so interesting how these staffs are comprised.

West

Halls

South Doyle

Farragut

Karns

Thanks in advance!

Honestly, it is pretty simple to go to the staff directory of each high school and look at the make-up of their PE and Social Studies departments. If they are not (for the most part) full of coaches, you are already dead in the water when it comes to staffing athletic programs. Trouble is, most people use coaching to "get a foot in the door" and then don't offer much to the school after 3:00.

Edited by FHSAlum12
spelling error

27 minutes ago, PostingGawd39 said:

HTV, 

How many in-building coaches do the following schools. have? Trying to just compare these staffs, I think it's so interesting how these staffs are comprised.

West

Halls

South Doyle

Farragut

Karns

Thanks in advance!

To answer your question:

West has 6

Halls has 6

South Doyle has 5

Farragut has 10

Karns has 5

*Assuming Classified employee is in the building

5 minutes ago, catamount said:

To answer your question:

West has 6

Halls has 6

South Doyle has 5

Farragut has 10

Karns has 5

With Farragut being the exception, that "half' that I mentioned seems to be close.  Most schools in Knox County have in the 9/10 supplemented assistant coaches range, last time I discussed it with a couple of coaches.  

Edited by HTV

24 minutes ago, catamount said:

There's a lot of experienced coaches that won't take a classified position for any longer than a year (or even a semester).  This has turned into Knox County's solution to not helping coaches enroll in whatever program to acquire their teaching certification, and its really hurting a lot of coaching staffs.

Years ago (and many school systems still do this) coaches could get hired to teach with a transitional or temporary licence and would have 2 or 3 years to get whatever endorsement they needed, or a position would open in that 2 or 3 year time period and they would be moved in the school.  Either way, they are in the same building teaching, coaching, and actually making a real paycheck.

Now Knox County says, "We can't hire you to teach, but we can give you a teaching assistants position".  That means their salary is around 17,000 a year, add that their assistant coach's pay in Knox County only adds another thousand or two to that a year, you see what people were meaning when we said Knox County doesn't help their coaches.  Yeah its a pay check, but when you do the math of hours at the school and hours involved in coaching, those coaches make well under what is minimum wage for their time spent at work.

35 minutes ago, FHSAlum12 said:

Rumor (and just a rumor at this point) is that HVA plans to hire a coach in KCS with no HC experience but is young, energetic and has had some success as a coordinator.

I would be curious about that rumor, since hiring a young first time HC would likely be a mistake for a 6A program, but hey...stranger things have happened.

What names are being tossed around?  

8 minutes ago, Rbel4life said:

I would be curious about that rumor, since hiring a young first time HC would likely be a mistake for a 6A program, but hey...stranger things have happened.

Unfortunately with the low pay in Knox County and issues putting a staff together that would be in the building, that's reality in Knox County these days.  

I'm hearing three names: 

One a former private school head coach in Knox County

One an assistant in an adjacent system 

One a coordinator at another school in another part of Knox County.  

Didn't really think there would be much interest from proved head coaches because of the situation the program is currently in.  

Mr. Speas is in a tough spot.  He had to do something, but there doesn't appear to be a proved option out there who is interested.  

And an edit:

As I have said in previous years I won't name names because it's high school football and I don't want anybody to catch heat from current school coaches/supporters if they don't end up getting the position.  

Edited by HTV

8 minutes ago, HTV said:

Unfortunately with the low pay in Knox County and issues putting a staff together that would be in the building, that's reality in Knox County these days.  

I'm hearing three names: 

One a former private school head coach in Knox County

One an assistant in an adjacent system 

One a coordinator at another school in another part of Knox County.  

Didn't really think there would be much interest from proved head coaches because of the situation the program is currently in.  

Mr. Speas is in a tough spot.  He had to do something, but there doesn't appear to be a proved option out there who is interested.  

And an edit:

As I have said in previous years I won't name names because it's high school football and I don't want anybody to catch heat from current school coaches/supporters if they don't end up getting the position.  

I also have some names I'm hearing:

One former coach at another school in the state

One a current coordinator a school

One a current AD at a small private elsewhere in the state

One is currently coaching a position group at a DII school in Georgia. Something to monitor for sure

19 minutes ago, Rbel4life said:

The one I was referring to is a DC in the county that formerly coached at HVA.