Central @ Daniel Boone-Round 2

madhatter2269

1 hour ago, blazer1set said:

Play a hard schedule, they said.....
It makes you tougher, they said....
Gets you ready for the playoffs, they said....
Another losing season is in the books, but I can say that at least Boone didn't quit.
Central completely thrashed us in every aspect of the game, from playing, to execution, to coaching.

Tough loss, bud. Hopefully we’ll get a Boone/OR matchup in the next few years. 

7 hours ago, blazer1set said:

Another losing season is in the books, but I can say that at least Boone didn't quit.
Central completely thrashed us in every aspect of the game, from playing, to execution, to coaching.

Blazer, Central hurt themselves with penalties early on, then DB started hurting themselves with turnovers. If not for the turnovers, it's a close game at the half. Defense was on the field to long the first half. 

10 hours ago, blazer1set said:

Quite an odd season for being a "Losing Season" ..... as they are also Conference Champs.
Again, if you want Boone to just go ahead and schedule 6 cake walk games and get blown away in the 1st and second round, I'm sure that can easily be accomplished.  If you want to always avoid Elizabethton, Greeneville, DB, Science Hill, etc.  then you can have exactly the type of team that you want, 8-3, 7-4, 9-3 and done.  Good on Boone for keeping a tough schedule.  Crazy end result, but I'd say the senior are proud of what they accomplished.  Flip the home and away and we are a year away from all the conferences being shook up again.  I can see scenarios where 2-3 teams could be back in 5A after this season.

Also, Knox West is scary good.

29 minutes ago, formerblazer said:

Quite an odd season for being a "Losing Season" ..... as they are also Conference Champs.
Again, if you want Boone to just go ahead and schedule 6 cake walk games and get blown away in the 1st and second round, I'm sure that can easily be accomplished.  If you want to always avoid Elizabethton, Greeneville, DB, Science Hill, etc.  then you can have exactly the type of team that you want, 8-3, 7-4, 9-3 and done.  Good on Boone for keeping a tough schedule.  Crazy end result, but I'd say the senior are proud of what they accomplished.  Flip the home and away and we are a year away from all the conferences being shook up again.  I can see scenarios where 2-3 teams could be back in 5A after this season.

We'll get another crack at them Friday night and if we play the first quarter like we did last night, the game will be over at that point. We can match their speed, but at this point coaching seems to be going their way.

4 hours ago, formerblazer said:

So...... Boone could schedule all cupcakes and get blown out in the playoffs, or schedule the toughest teams available and still get blown out in the playoffs....

I'll give you one thing, it was somewhat of an odd season.     Look how close we pushed Elizabethton and Science Hill, and even some of the Loudon fans were worried near the end.   But a "losing season" is defined as more losses than wins, Boone finished 5-6.             Actually I'll give you two things, Knox West is definitely the real deal in 5A, I'm not sure even Powell can handle them.

Last thing, we were badly outcoached and outplayed last night, but Boone's defense was way better than it looked on the scoreboard.    Central got 2 defensive scores plus 3 short fields due to all the fumbles.     I still maintain that Boone has (had) the best defense in the NET area this year and most of those guys will be back so hopefully next year we can use the term "scary good" about the Boone "D"

13 hours ago, SweetScience said:

Tough loss, bud. Hopefully we’ll get a Boone/OR matchup in the next few years. 

Thanks, it really wasn't a tough loss because Central is a way better team than we are.       And yeah a Boone/OR series would be a lot of fun.        Due to distance and finances I don't see it ever happening but maybe one day we can meet in the playoffs.

1 hour ago, blazer1set said:

So...... Boone could schedule all cupcakes and get blown out in the playoffs, or schedule the toughest teams available and still get blown out in the playoffs....

I'll give you one thing, it was somewhat of an odd season.     Look how close we pushed Elizabethton and Science Hill, and even some of the Loudon fans were worried near the end.   But a "losing season" is defined as more losses than wins, Boone finished 5-6.             Actually I'll give you two things, Knox West is definitely the real deal in 5A, I'm not sure even Powell can handle them.

Last thing, we were badly outcoached and outplayed last night, but Boone's defense was way better than it looked on the scoreboard.    Central got 2 defensive scores plus 3 short fields due to all the fumbles.     I still maintain that Boone has (had) the best defense in the NET area this year and most of those guys will be back so hopefully next year we can use the term "scary good" about the Boone "D"

Well we are going on about five seasons of you repeating the same thing, what do you think needs to happen in the Gray area to get past Knoxville?  I’m alumni too, so it isn’t like I don’t want it to happen.  I think all the tools are there, but consistency of having 22 athletes who are all freakishly good is a hard thing to find in Washington County.

2 hours ago, formerblazer said:

Well we are going on about five seasons of you repeating the same thing, what do you think needs to happen in the Gray area to get past Knoxville?  I’m alumni too, so it isn’t like I don’t want it to happen.  I think all the tools are there, but consistency of having 22 athletes who are all freakishly good is a hard thing to find in Washington County.

lol, way more than 5 seasons, but I get ya....      Let's face it, very few schools are ever going to develop into elite football programs.     Elizabethton and Greeneville figured it out, but all the other NET area teams are going to always be the same.   Every now and then Kingsport will get to the 3rd round but 6A always ends at Maryville, just like 5A always ends at Knox Central or Knox West.       I still assert that Boone's defense this year was the best in the area and you can't judge that by some of the scores, because our offense was so bad and gave up either points or turned it over deep in our own territory.      Most of those guys are coming back next year, if we can just put together some type of offense then we might be a very solid team next year.    But man you know how it is, trying to get all the pieces in place in the same year is really hard.

What do you think Greeneville has done differently than Boone or all the other schools around the Tri?     They used to be just an average mediocre team, but since 2009 they have been in the state title game 5 times and won 4.    And I'll be shocked if they do not win the title this year.      There is no way they just randomly have that many athletes coming thru the school that many years in a row.     Whatever they are doing is way different than what all the other area schools are doing (besides Elizabethton).