Fast Times at William Blount High

BarneySox2007

I'm impressed by his charisma and enthusiasm. I was getting pumped up just listening to him talk. If nothing else, he'll do a great job of getting kids fired up before games. And I think that can go a long way towards getting better results on Friday night.

Edited by TheGreatWallofAlnwick
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TheGreatWallofAlnwick said:

I'm impressed by his charisma and enthusiasm. I was getting pumped up just listening to him talk. If nothing else, he'll do a great job of getting kids fired up before games. And I think that can go a long way towards getting better results on Friday night.

He brings that BD Gaddis attitude to the table, for sure.

My thoughts after listening to Reeves' intro speech and having time to think on it:

#1- I really like his energy and charisma. He had me fired up and anyone who knows me knows that life has been very difficult for me for the past year and they know exactly why. 

#2 - I liked his analysis of West Ridge and how they were disciplined and professional in everything they did. I like that Reeves can recognize the importance of discipline and being purposeful in everything from getting off the bus to warming up. It will be interesting to see if he can actually make a positive impact in that area. 

#3- I like what he said about weight training. It will be interesting to see what his staff can do in the weight room.

But there was one thing he said that really troubled me. He said that the Xs and Os don't matter in football. That could be a big problem.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, TheGreatWallofAlnwick said:

My thoughts after listening to Reeves' intro speech and having time to think on it:

#1- I really like his energy and charisma. He had me fired up and anyone who knows me knows that life has been very difficult for me for the past year and they know exactly why. 

#2 - I liked his analysis of West Ridge and how they were disciplined and professional in everything they did. I like that Reeves can recognize the importance of discipline and being purposeful in everything from getting off the bus to warming up. It will be interesting to see if he can actually make a positive impact in that area. 

#3- I like what he said about weight training. It will be interesting to see what his staff can do in the weight room.

But there was one thing he said that really troubled me. He said that the Xs and Os don't matter in football. That could be a big problem.

Wouldn't worry about Xs & Os. Reeves knows those inside and out. His point was without discipline, hard work in the weight room, etc. the Xs and Os won't matter. Turning things around at WB is less about offensive and defensive schemes and more about values and attitudes.

If you look across East TN HS football right now there is some, but not a great deal of difference in what you see offensively and defensively. You'll see many of the same formations/plays at Maryville and at Heritage. What differentiates the good from the bad is execution which is about buy in, discipline, hard work, etc. It's also about the ability to recruit, retain and develop talent. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, camppack said:

Wouldn't worry about Xs & Os. Reeves knows those inside and out. His point was without discipline, hard work in the weight room, etc. the Xs and Os won't matter. Turning things around at WB is less about offensive and defensive schemes and more about values and attitudes.

If you look across East TN HS football right now there is some, but not a great deal of difference in what you see offensively and defensively. You'll see many of the same formations/plays at Maryville and at Heritage. What differentiates the good from the bad is execution which is about buy in, discipline, hard work, etc. It's also about the ability to recruit, retain and develop talent. 

nailed it. 

discipline, hard work, speed and agility training, trusting your teammates and yourself, learning to be all in, not trying to be the 'big playmaker' or looking for the next big play, it's about the larger picture. 

you're right about the similarity of X's and O's throughout east TN, but also, I think size is lacking. we do not see the lines we used to in East TN. strength training is so important and sometimes overlooked. 

I think Reeves is on point. from what I've seen, it seems the kids are behind him, let's hope that trickles down through the halls and more students choose to play ball. 

Edited by ftbllfan23

2 hours ago, ftbllfan23 said:

nailed it. 

discipline, hard work, speed and agility training, trusting your teammates and yourself, learning to be all in, not trying to be the 'big playmaker' or looking for the next big play, it's about the larger picture. 

you're right about the similarity of X's and O's throughout east TN, but also, I think size is lacking. we do not see the lines we used to in East TN. strength training is so important and sometimes overlooked. 

I think Reeves is on point. from what I've seen, it seems the kids are behind him, let's hope that trickles down through the halls and more students choose to play ball. 

Strength is absolutely critical but the need for and use of size has really been evolving in the past few years. For instance more teams, including Maryville, are using LB size kids at DE because they want the athleticism and speed. On the o-line, spread offensives and zone run schemes require more athletic lineman who can move. At the college and NFL levels you can find big bodies who are athletic and quick. At the HS level you usually have to settle for one or the other so more and more teams are going with the smaller, more athletic body types. 

58 minutes ago, camppack said:

Strength is absolutely critical but the need for and use of size has really been evolving in the past few years. For instance more teams, including Maryville, are using LB size kids at DE because they want the athleticism and speed. On the o-line, spread offensives and zone run schemes require more athletic lineman who can move. At the college and NFL levels you can find big bodies who are athletic and quick. At the HS level you usually have to settle for one or the other so more and more teams are going with the smaller, more athletic body types. 

I can understand this, truly with the one or the other. 

I just think of how strength and agility and size can still mean quick and athletic, example: Jordan Davis UGA.