Powell vs. Rhea (5A Quarterfinal)

FHSAlum12

1 hour ago, dawgs82 said:

When I was teaching and coaching in Georgia years back we played Commerce High School, coached by Ray Lamb. His son Bobby ended up starring at Furman and I think played with George Quarles a year. Commerce ran the wing-t to perfection, we couldn't stop it for one main reason. Kids want to make the tackle, be in on the play, be the star. It is almost impossible to get high school kids to play assignment football for a whole game. They start looking for the ball (which deception is a key for the wing-t) and they forget they have an assignment. Rhea Co. runs the tightest, quickest, version of this offense I've ever seen. They will get their points. Question will be, will it be enough points?

I agree , and I think Rhea will score a lot of points , but Rhea's defense against Karns was almost nonexistent . The efficiency of Rhea's Offense I agree is pretty awesome for what it is , and I've seen Powell's defense struggle this year too ... but Powell's Offense can be nearly unstoppable when they're clicking . I like Rhea County , I hope they win , but until their defense proves they can stop somebody I have to give the edge to Powell .

I really hate to say it but Rhea has struggled all year on the defensive side of the ball. They have had some games where they have played some solid defense but they seem to always have stretches throughout each game where they have total breakdowns. The Karns game was by far the worst but when you compete against a player like Bishop it really highlights all your weaknesses. Karns wasn’t the best team Rhea has played but Bishop certainly was the best player they have faced. 
All that to say this-  yes Rhea has issues on the defensive side of the ball but they aren’t as bad as they looked against Karns and I expect the Eagles to regroup and play better defense this week against Powell.

GO EAGLES!!

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, dawgs82 said:

Rhea Co. runs the tightest, quickest, version of this offense I've ever seen. They will get their points. Question will be, will it be enough points?

Eye uhgree wif this staitmint.....Eye wuz waitchin' tham agin Brad Lee Centrull and they run two tha line ...get set....and snap faister thain ennybodee eye've seed....:popcorneater:

Edited by STARSNBARS

10 minutes ago, STARSNBARS said:

Eye uhgree wif this staitmint.....Eye wuz waitchin' tham agin Brad Lee Centrull and they run two tha line ...get set....and snap faister thain ennybodee eye've seed....:popcorneater:

That probably want change either... Except in short yardage situations... followed by a timeout.

2 hours ago, RCfan said:

I really hate to say it but Rhea has struggled all year on the defensive side of the ball. They have had some games where they have played some solid defense but they seem to always have stretches throughout each game where they have total breakdowns. The Karns game was by far the worst but when you compete against a player like Bishop it really highlights all your weaknesses. Karns wasn’t the best team Rhea has played but Bishop certainly was the best player they have faced. 
All that to say this-  yes Rhea has issues on the defensive side of the ball but they aren’t as bad as they looked against Karns and I expect the Eagles to regroup and play better defense this week against Powell.

GO EAGLES!!

Karns put up 48 points vs Rhea with one player.....Powell has multiple Power 5 WR, good running backs, good QB.  If Karns did that to Rhea, it could be a very long night for Rhea.  JMO

4 minutes ago, keepitmoving said:

Karns put up 48 points vs Rhea with one player.....Powell has multiple Power 5 WR, good running backs, good QB.  If Karns did that to Rhea, it could be a very long night for Rhea.  JMO

purty sure Rhea is gonna score too.  this game could be down to turnovers.  I don't think these teams can stop each other.

1 hour ago, keepitmoving said:

Pops is calling it…. Rhea stands zero chance of pulling this off. Love the confidence Pops! Protect the ball.

Hope the DC prepares for the “tackle eligible”

Edited by KnoxVil
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KnoxVil said:

Pops is calling it…. Rhea stands zero chance of pulling this off. Love the confidence Pops! Protect the ball.

Hope the DC prepares for the “tackle eligible”

It's tricky.  Go back and watch the West vs. Rhea state semifinal game from 2015.  Watch it closely, it's tricky.  Especially how they get up to the ball so quickly and snap it.  You really have to be paying attention to even know it's coming.  Did I say Tricky?

• Upvote 1