OFFICIATING

GREYRIDERx

5 minutes ago, pepvol said:

I'm pissed off about a bunch of calls too , but geez get over it man ! I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings and Barney too , never dreamed you guys were this sensitive . You guys seem just as upset about the bad calls as having a disagreement with a Fellow Rebel Fan . 

You never hurt my feelings pepvol, tonight was a little to much to handle. I'm the type to get mad if it just keeps going and going and tonight was one of those nights. 

1 minute ago, BarneySox2007 said:

You never hurt my feelings pepvol, tonight was a little to much to handle. I'm the type to get mad if it just keeps going and going and tonight was one of those nights. 

I understand totally Barney , It is unbelievable to me after last week we got another ref crew from that region . Oakland would have probably won anyway but they got a couple gifts from the refs no doubt ... 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, pepvol said:

I understand totally Barney , It is unbelievable to me after last week we got another ref crew from that region . Oakland would have probably won anyway but they got a couple gifts from the refs no doubt ... 

I came down from Tri-cities to watch two great teams and wasn’t disappointed, man what a game. For Maryville to hang this close with such talent is incredible and yes I don’t think, I know there was some bad calls tonight but all these young men fought hard and left it on the field. I was cheering for Maryville because over the years I’ve came to respect this school but Oakland is very well coached too! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, orangeandwhite said:

I came down from Tri-cities to watch two great teams and wasn’t disappointed, man what a game. For Maryville to hang this close with such talent is incredible and yes I don’t think, I know there was some bad calls tonight but all these young men fought hard and left it on the field. I was cheering for Maryville because over the years I’ve came to respect this school but Oakland is very well coached too! 

Oakland is very Well coached , and I give them all the credit in the World , they went and played 2 of the best Private schools in Tn , and I'm sure that experience really helped them tonight . I think Maryville put up one heck of a fight and I give them a lot of credit too , much better game plan than last year and very creative on Defense ... sometimes another team just has more talent overall . Good luck to all the seniors and I look forward to seeing it all over again next year ... Maybe Maryville can meet you guys down there again next year ... sounds like a lot of fun !!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, bounder said:

Not to butt in but I think Oak Ridge had the same zebras at the McMinn County game. They were consistent, bad for both teams.  We might have had a chance  to win without them but we didn't take care of business. Upper East Tennessee Officials!

Being honest and objective I ask the question as to what percentage of the TSSAA football officials do you feel are below average? IMO, you have 40% that are really bad, 45% are average high school officials and 15% are pretty good.  I was discussing this with a former OVC official and he told me that at one point he did a high school game on Friday night and an OVC game on Saturday.  The OVC changed the rules and he now has to check in at the OVC game site on Friday afternoon which eliminates him being able to officiate a high school game.  

I've known some officials over the years and by in large they were pretty good, they studied the teams they were assigned to play and knew the rules, but most of those guys retired several years ago and new ones came in and of course had a learning curve, plus they are having a hard time getting officials and getting them trained up enough to officiate at the high school level.  They have to start out doing boys club and middle school ball to learn. One other thing, there is not "under further review" in high school ball, so they only get one look at a call and have to make sure it's a foul before they throw that flag, not an easy thing to do, especially in the lines. Holding can probably be called most plays, so they have to make sure it's really jersey stretch holding.  This year I've seen some really questionable calls, so I hope they can work on that during the off season training they do and watching film. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Cactus Jack said:

I've known some officials over the years and by in large they were pretty good, they studied the teams they were assigned to play and knew the rules, but most of those guys retired several years ago and new ones came in and of course had a learning curve, plus they are having a hard time getting officials and getting them trained up enough to officiate at the high school level.  They have to start out doing boys club and middle school ball to learn. One other thing, there is not "under further review" in high school ball, so they only get one look at a call and have to make sure it's a foul before they throw that flag, not an easy thing to do, especially in the lines. Holding can probably be called most plays, so they have to make sure it's really jersey stretch holding.  This year I've seen some really questionable calls, so I hope they can work on that during the off season training they do and watching film. 

Good post. Obvious isn’t so obvious at live speed with a poor angle. My biggest beef are the few officials who “thought” something happened without seeing it and the ones either afraid to make the call OR who make the call out of spite as payback for the verbal criticism they are getting. When the ignorant fans like me see that stuff happen, I would assume the good officials and their supervisors are aware of it too. 
Regardless, there are a lot of other plays in the game to affect the outcome. Everybody has heard it: don’t leave it in the officials hands. Good officials are priceless.