Mullins steps down as AD at Oak Ridge

WilleTheWildcat

2 hours ago, oridgecat said:

No, you are correct, we do have a a guy (for now)  that teaches at Norwood and we have a couple of retired volunteers.  Then, we have certified teachers in the bldg that do coach at OR.  And we have 3 (4 at times) in the building that take home a OR paycheck and then go coach against us.  Right now, we have 5 teaching positions being held by coaches for other teams or by former OR coaches that were not retained.  This is really making it difficult to get a decent coach in.  Who would take this job if they can't bring any of their guys with them?  I know it's a problem everywhere and a tough puzzle to solve.  As we've said many times this silly season, this is when we find out if our admin, school board and city leaders are willing to do what it takes and make the changes necessary for OR football to be good at football again.   We have the roster, that's a plus. 

It all goes back to if these teachers are on Tenure or not (Not saying it's fair but has a lot to do with it).  If these Teachers that Coach at other schools are on Tenure at Oak Ridge it's going to be super hard to get rid of them unless they leave on their own accord. (You can't just fire them as long as they are doing everything correctly as a teacher).  These coaches are hired as teachers first and like HTV said two completely different contracts.  If the Admin, School Board, and City leaders just fire these teachers since they coach for another school then they are opening themselves up for a law suite being a tenured teacher (5 years at the same school in the state of Tennessee)

On 12/6/2021 at 9:31 AM, oridgecat said:

I get the loyalty thing, but I don't really care about that.  Those guys can go "coach" anywhere they want.  I don't think their "coaching" abilities are anything to worry about though.  It's taking up the teaching jobs and being paid to poach our players.  Like I have said many times before.  Only in Oak Ridge would we allow something like this to happen.  It's idiotic.   

O yea Im with you 100%.Im just talking about loyalty in sports thing that has changed so much lately.From transfer portal in college to kids in HS going to play for a rival because they dont get their way one time.I was born a Wildcat and nothing couldve changed that.You dreamed of being part of the team and everything about being a Wildcat.Now so many people only care about personal stats and what somebody can do for them.

15 hours ago, oridgecat said:

No, you are correct, we do have a a guy (for now)  that teaches at Norwood and we have a couple of retired volunteers.  Then, we have certified teachers in the bldg that do coach at OR.  And we have 3 (4 at times) in the building that take home a OR paycheck and then go coach against us.  Right now, we have 5 teaching positions being held by coaches for other teams or by former OR coaches that were not retained.  This is really making it difficult to get a decent coach in.  Who would take this job if they can't bring any of their guys with them?  I know it's a problem everywhere and a tough puzzle to solve.  As we've said many times this silly season, this is when we find out if our admin, school board and city leaders are willing to do what it takes and make the changes necessary for OR football to be good at football again.   We have the roster, that's a plus. 

I doubt this is a problem "everywhere". I don't have any way of truly knowing but I would bet that it isn't a problem at Alcoa or Maryville, and it should NOT be allowed at OR!

2 hours ago, catswild said:

I doubt this is a problem "everywhere". I don't have any way of truly knowing but I would bet that it isn't a problem at Alcoa or Maryville, and it should NOT be allowed at OR!

Alcoa does have at least one coach that I am aware of who teaches in Knox County.  And there are others who aren't in the building at the high school.  

Not all of Maryville's coaches are in the building, but they are in the system teaching at the middle, intermediate, and elementary schools.  

And, yeah, it's pretty much a problem with most systems these days.  Tenure protects the teaching positions, as it should.  It's academic education first, sports and other extras second.  

Edited by HTV
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, catswild said:

Agree.  Being "excellent" at football is no longer a priority for the city of Oak Ridge's leaders, or school board.  I know Dr. Adams is aware of the issues that need to be changed or improved to revive the football program.  And it is a much bigger job than outsiders could imagine.  Main issues being, rebuild youth football program at ORBC ( I know Shawn is in charge now but there is still a long ,long way to go there),  cohesion and communication between middle and high school staffs is nonexistent.  And the huge elephant in the room:  there has to be a REAL strength and conditioning program with a paid coaching supplement.  Our athletes (all sports)  don't even have a strength and conditioning class during the school day.  And that truly is operating in the dark ages.  I can't think of a school that doesn't have in school weight training for all athletes. And of course,  the inability for a HC to bring in assistants. 

Outsiders just assume that all these things are in place at Oak Ridge and that we just need some new blood as HC.  Not the case, I am being told that when candidates are asking about these kind of things, they are having second thoughts about coming to OR, because they don't like the answers they are hearing to these crucial aspects of the program.   I'm sure we will get a good coach, I just hope that he fully understands the depth of the challenge that he's taking on.   A lot of things need a lot of fixin'

The thing is that Oak Ridge is a very small school system, that makes it's own policies and sets their own budget (which is in fine shape).  They decide what is needed and what to fund and what not to fund.  They make the policies, and they can change their own policies (it only takes a motion and a second).  They can create and eliminate positions as they see fit.  So, once again, we are all about to find out if being excellent at football is the priority in the City of Oak Ridge that it used to be or not.  :popcorneater:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, oridgecat said:

Agree.  Being "excellent" at football is no longer a priority for the city of Oak Ridge's leaders, or school board.  I know Dr. Adams is aware of the issues that need to be changed or improved to revive the football program.  And it is a much bigger job than outsiders could imagine.  Main issues being, rebuild youth football program at ORBC ( I know Shawn is in charge now but there is still a long ,long way to go there),  cohesion and communication between middle and high school staffs is nonexistent.  And the huge elephant in the room:  there has to be a REAL strength and conditioning program with a paid coaching supplement.  Our athletes (all sports)  don't even have a strength and conditioning class during the school day.  And that truly is operating in the dark ages.  I can't think of a school that doesn't have in school weight training for all athletes. And of course,  the inability for a HC to bring in assistants. 

Outsiders just assume that all these things are in place at Oak Ridge and that we just need some new blood as HC.  Not the case, I am being told that when candidates are asking about these kind of things, they are having second thoughts about coming to OR, because they don't like the answers they are hearing to these crucial aspects of the program.   I'm sure we will get a good coach, I just hope that he fully understands the depth of the challenge that he's taking on.   A lot of things need a lot of fixin'

The thing is that Oak Ridge is a very small school system, that makes it's own policies and sets their own budget (which is in fine shape).  They decide what is needed and what to fund and what not to fund.  They make the policies, and they can change their own policies (it only takes a motion and a second).  They can create and eliminate positions as they see fit.  So, once again, we are all about to find out if being excellent at football is the priority in the City of Oak Ridge that it used to be or not.  :popcorneater:

That would all be good and dandy if it was true but there are laws when it comes to Tenured teacher (so once again are these teachers that coach at other schools on Tenure?).  The school board can change policies all they want but it still can’t trump  TN state Laws with it being a public school system.  You can’t just eliminate a position to get rid of a teacher and then add it back to get an assistant football coach unless you want to pay out a lot of money on a lawsuit.  Tenured teachers have laws that apply to them that it seems a lot of OR people don’t understand and not as easy as you’re  fired  

https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/education/legal/legal_tenure_faq.pdf

Edited by Swipes
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Swipes said:

That would all be good and dandy if it was true but there are laws when it comes to Tenured teacher (so once again are these teachers that coach at other schools on Tenure?).  The school board can change policies all they want but it still can’t trump  TN state Laws with it being a public school system.  You can’t just eliminate a position to get rid of a teacher and then add it back to get an assistant football coach unless you want to pay out a lot of money on a lawsuit.  Tenured teachers have laws that apply to them that it seems a lot of OR people don’t understand and not as easy as you’re  fired  

https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/education/legal/legal_tenure_faq.pdf

I wont pretend to know the teaching laws.But what would stop school systems from adding new rules saying you cant teach at our school and coach at another school.Even if it didnt apply to teachers already under contract it could prevent this in the future.Kind of like how principals at Oak Ridge are not allowed to coach.

10 hours ago, oridgecat said:

If I was a coach I would say wow how have they had that good of talent with all those problems.And I would think with even a few changes I could really have an elite program