Mullins steps down as AD at Oak Ridge

WilleTheWildcat

I know back in the early days in OR, 70s 80s, assistants had to teach in the school system, preferably at the high school, and back then it was also a deal that if you were a teacher/coach, you couldn't quit the coach side and keep teaching, Somewhere along the in the 80s that changed and coaches could quit coaching and continue to teach only. Then the TSSAA allowed volunteer or supplemented coaches from outside to coach as long as they met certain requirements and that is where we are today, I know now we have several that teach at OR but coach at other schools and that will be even more so with this last exodus of staff.  My guess is that the incoming coach needs an OC and a DC for sure and a couple more to fill his staff, I think things are moving now that the State FInals are over, hopefully they will get all these issues resolved by the start of the winter quarter. 

2 hours ago, bounder said:

If nobody leaves the new coach will have issues trying to hire his assistants. just saying

“IF” a new head coach is hired that is on the top of his game he should demand the following:

1.  New strength & conditioning coach

2.  Defensive coordinator 

3.  Offensive coordinator

4.  OL coach

5.  DL coach

Personally I would not take the job unless I could bring in a minimum 5 or 6 assistant coaches.  If Oak Ridge really wants to win they will take the necessary steps in allowing the football program to be successful

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, WilleTheWildcat said:

Is there some sort of unwritten code that says when a Head Coach leaves his Assistant coaches offer to leave as well?  I am just curious,

Teaching and coaching contracts are two different things.  Teaching contracts are subject to tenure.  Coaching contracts are a year to year thing and don't have to be renewed and can be non renewed for any reason.  Head coaches generally get to choose who their assistants are, subject to the requirements of the local system and TSSAA.  

Edited by HTV

Yeah HTV but there are only so many PE, strength and condition, health, drives Ed. etc. positions at Oak Ridge High School. And if nobody leaves things get kinda crowded. So if new assistants can't teach something else, oh and don't forget there has to be a teaching position open in their field also. Kinda gets complicated! Anyhow we're ready for the New Guy .. bring him on Tyrone!!

WILDCAT PRIDE

16 minutes ago, bounder said:

Yeah HTV but there are only so many PE, strength and condition, health, drives Ed. etc. positions at Oak Ridge High School. And if nobody leaves things get kinda crowded. So if new assistants can't teach something else, oh and don't forget there has to be a teaching position open in their field also. Kinda gets complicated! Anyhow we're ready for the New Guy .. bring him on Tyrone!!

WILDCAT PRIDE

I understand, and it's not just at Oak Ridge.  That goes for everywhere.  That's why pretty much every school out there, including Oak Ridge, have assistants that teach at other schools, and in many cases, in other systems.  Plus there are a lot more non faculty coaches on staffs all over the state these days than ever.  

It's a different day across the board.  

4 hours ago, HTV said:

I understand, and it's not just at Oak Ridge.  That goes for everywhere.  That's why pretty much every school out there, including Oak Ridge, have assistants that teach at other schools, and in many cases, in other systems.  Plus there are a lot more non faculty coaches on staffs all over the state these days than ever.  

It's a different day across the board.  

We don't have assistants that teach at other schools.  We have teachers that coach at other schools.  (taking up teaching positions and preventing us to bring in quality coaches at Oak Ridge) .

20 hours ago, cbg said:

Personally I would not take the job unless I could bring in a minimum 5 or 6 assistant coaches.  If Oak Ridge really wants to win they will take the necessary steps in allowing the football program to be successful

This last sentence sums it all up in a nut shell.  period. end of story.  Oak Ridge being good at football used to be a priority of our city leaders, our school board and our administration.  Unfortunately that is no longer the case.  And, here we are.  

Edited by oridgecat
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, oridgecat said:

We don't have assistants that teach at other schools.  We have teachers that coach at other schools.  (taking up teaching positions and preventing us to bring in quality coaches at Oak Ridge) .

This last sentence sums it all up in a nut shell.  period. end of story.  Oak Ridge being good at football used to be a priority of our city leaders, our school board and our administration.  Unfortunately that is no longer the case.  And, here we are.  

You sure all of your coaches teach at ORHS.   

Interesting. 

46 minutes ago, HTV said:

Interesting. 

No, you are correct, we do have a a guy (for now)  that teaches at Norwood and we have a couple of retired volunteers.  Then, we have certified teachers in the bldg that do coach at OR.  And we have 3 (4 at times) in the building that take home a OR paycheck and then go coach against us.  Right now, we have 5 teaching positions being held by coaches for other teams or by former OR coaches that were not retained.  This is really making it difficult to get a decent coach in.  Who would take this job if they can't bring any of their guys with them?  I know it's a problem everywhere and a tough puzzle to solve.  As we've said many times this silly season, this is when we find out if our admin, school board and city leaders are willing to do what it takes and make the changes necessary for OR football to be good at football again.   We have the roster, that's a plus. 

Edited by oridgecat
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, oridgecat said:

mer OR coaches that were not retained.  This is really making it difficult to get a decent coNo, you are correct, we do have a a guy (for now)  that teaches at Norwood and we have a couple of retired volunteers.  Then, we have certified teachers in the bldg that do coach at OR.  And we have 3 (4 at times) in the building that take home a OR paycheck and then go coach against us.  Right now, we have 5 teaching positions being held by coaches for other teams or by for

1 hour ago, HTV said:

Interesting. 

Doesn't a girls  basketball coach teach in a different school system? Not Head Coach Taylor but one of the others.

1 hour ago, oridgecat said:

As we've said many times this silly season, this is when we find out if our admin, school board and city leaders are willing to do what it takes and make the changes necessary for OR football to be good at football again.   We have the roster, that's a plus. 

What does the word " Good " mean? In 2020, OR finished second in the state. That is good to me. Now, after one season OR is no longer " good."  I don't understand.

• Like 1