Tim Hammontree Resigns from Heritage

OrangePylon

3 hours ago, camppack said:

The challenge for those whose care about high school football in Blount County is to find ways to support the programs at WB and Heritage at this critical juncture.  Both are at a tipping point where they can either rebuild and become what we hope they can be or slide even deeper into the holes they are in. Coach Reeves at WB and whomever ends up at Heritage need their schools, the school district and the community to step up and support the programs. The Blount County schools will never be the powerhouses that Maryville and Alcoa have become, but they can be competitive programs. It's just going to take more than new head coaches and a new fieldhouse at each school.  

Agreed. And the system must have “being competitive” as a priority.

Any word on the next coach at the foot of the mountain?

11 minutes ago, MCCS87 said:

Would he be a long term solution at heritage? 

Not likely a long term solution anywhere.  First college job that he's offered he would likely be gone.  College coaches and high school coaches are an apples and oranges thing.  

And as I understand it, he wanted to just coach, ala Josh Jones at Bearden, and not teach.  Not sure Blount County would go for that.  

11 minutes ago, HTV said:

Not likely a long term solution anywhere.  First college job that he's offered he would likely be gone.  College coaches and high school coaches are an apples and oranges thing.  

And as I understand it, he wanted to just coach, ala Josh Jones at Bearden, and not teach.  Not sure Blount County would go for that.  

yeah, after a quick google, he doesn't stay anywhere too long; head coach or not. 

not sure that would be best in the interest of the program at heritage. sounds like a build up for a let down for most kids coming through. you want to be able to trust your coach, especially with the ''i'm here for YOU'' speeches. not to turn around and he's taken the next JUCO or assistant position elsewhere.

I agree, HTV, not sure BC would go for not teaching. hard to pull a big coaching supplement for a county school. could be restrictions on that, not sure.

needless to say, this should get interesting...

Heritage is a program that needs emergency CPR. Not many qualified coaches are going to be interested in this job after seeing what Hammontree dealt with over the years. This was a winning coach that just didn't go bad all the sudden or neither did Danny Wilson. The coach from junior college may be a one and done but as I mentioned emergency CPR is needed and no wasting time about it. The long term situation could also end up someone coming and staying forever and a day when proven it's not working like Hammontree and Shad.

• Like 1